Lookin' 4 Nice Wheels for the '63 Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lookin' 4 Nice Wheels for the '63 Daytona

I've been pondering what type of wheel to install on the '63 Daytona Convertible. What's available in Studebaker bolt pattern? I've seen some nice wheels at some meets but haven't settled on anything yet.

Maybe the forum members could post some pictures of your favorite style of aftermarket wheel that will look great on a Studebaker.

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
    Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
    See you at Niagara 2008 Crossroads Zone Meet July 18-20
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Not aftermarket, but I like these:

they're 15x7" MoPar cop car wheels, Mr. Gasket baby moons (not enthralled with them though; they're a PITA to put on without denting) and Chevy Rally wheel trim rings. The trim rings aren't 100% ideal for these wheels - there's a bit of a gap between the inside edge of the rings and the wheel centers - but I like the "deep dish" look better than the more traditional thin rings.

Alternately, everyone likes Torq-Thrusts or similar wheels, and also a Halibrand "kidney bean" looks good too (American Racing Salt Flats are a modern wheel that is almost a dead copy.) The problem with most aftermarket wheels is backspace; most will limit you to a 15x6" for a comfortable fit. I don't even know if the cop car wheels will work on a Lark if it's been lowered, although I have seen them on at least one R2 Lark.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

The Stude bolt pattern is 5 on 4 1/2". Quite common. Shared by Ford, MoPar, and others. The sky is literally the limit. Are you going to run hubcaps? So you want new, used? What are YOUR favorites?

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I will most likely put a stock disk brake system on the car or a Turner system. I would be more interested in wheels not hubcaps. I was looking through some of the Members pictures and saw some nice wheels there.

I'm interested in seeing what other members have on there cars.

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
        Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Here are the AMR Torq Thrust II's on my Lark. I've seen them on 63's and they look nice, too. I have the polished alloy versions and wished I had chrome for cleaning. These alloys are a PITA to shine up.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Comment

R2--

Looking forward to seeing your '63...There are at least five Lark series cars in the Hamilton chapter with updated wheels. Let's see how many of them I've got pix of...you'll have seen at least a couple of these already no doubt:

62 Daytona HT at Mapleview a couple weeks ago

63 Wagonaire at Pier 4 last Thursday (grey ARs)

63 Regal at Ancaster a couple weeks ago (Cragars)

64 Daytona HT at Badenoch in April (Cragars)

HTH...see you at St.Catharines!

S.

Comment

Now we are talking WHEELS!

Barn Lark I noticed your wheels in the memeber's car section Do you have a close up?

While at the Southbend Meet this spring there was a '62 hardtop outside of SASCO parked right on the road by the entrance. I don't know who's car that was but it had really nice wheels on it. Was it anyone's from the forum?

Let's keep the picture coming!!

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
              Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me

I've been pondering what type of wheel to install on the '63 Daytona Convertible. What's available in Studebaker bolt pattern? I've seen some nice wheels at some meets but haven't settled on anything yet.
                Maybe the forum members could post some pictures of your favorite style of aftermarket wheel that will look great on a Studebaker.
                I'm very happy with the looks of the Magnum 500s on my Daytona. They are 15x6 and work with disc brakes (came off a '70 Avanti, but are available in repro). On mine I replaced the Magnum center decals with "S" decals that I bought from Jon Myer. The tires are 215x75x15s which put the speedometer/odometer virtually right on.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                Museum R-4 engine
                1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I'm a big fan of American Racing's Salt Flat Special wheels. Available either polished or with grey centers, I've seen pics of them on C/K cars and later Larks and they looked pretty slick

Here's a pic of the wheel for reference:
                  http://www.performanceplustire.com/i...ucts3/3351.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

I have been pondering this exact subject for my 63 Lark. I really like the gray Torq Thrusts (see the Wagonaire above). I have always been a big fan of the Magnum 500s (see the 64 Daytona Convert above). And Cragars are a classic standby. I personally think 5-spokes are a requirement - along with a classic look.

What I would REALLY like to know is...how did this 62 get so low and how can I get mine that low!!!!

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

That guy's car is fantastic! I love those wheels and his interior of the '62 is something to be seen. I've only seen the conceptual drawings of the interior at a Cruise night last year and I see that it is now completed. Looking forward to see this Hamilton Chapter member's car in person as soon as I get my Hawk back on the road. I should be real close by this Friday.

I really like his wheels and those low profile tires.

1964 GT Hawk R2 Clone
                      Oakville, Ontario.

Hamilton Chapter
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I also trolled the forum last year researching wheels for my Hawk. I ended up coming across a set of Ford alloy wheels of a 95 Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. They are a type of honeycomb pattern with chrome centres. I glued Stude Lazy S medallions over the Ford script in the wheel centre and they look great. I had stock Stude rims with 215-75 15 radials. The new wheels are 16 's with 225 - 60 series rubber. I had a 1/8 spacer on the front wheels to clear the Turner kit disc calipers and needed to keep them for the new wheels to stop rubbing. I also had to roll the fender lip back on the rear on one side to create enough room to avoid scrubbing. Things are much tighter in the rear and I didn't realize the axle was offset to one side making one side much tighter. All in the car club say the rims look great. They really dress up the car but don't scream 'hot rod' I'll try and post a picture. A fellow in the club has an 80's Lotus and we were amazed to find the Ford- now Stude - alloys were virtually identical to the factory alloys on his Lotus.

John

John Esmonde
                        Holland Landing, Ontario
                        Canada
                        '62 Hawk
                        '30 Chev Coach
                        sigpicJohn Esmonde
                        Holland Landing, Ontario
                        Canada
                        \'62 Hawk
                        \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
                        \'30 Chev Coach

Comment

I'm trying to post pictures of the wheels on my Hawk.Hope it works![img][/img][img][/img]

John Esmonde
                          Holland Landing, Ontario
                          Canada
                          '62 Hawk
                          '30 Chev Coach
                          sigpicJohn Esmonde
                          Holland Landing, Ontario
                          Canada
                          \'62 Hawk
                          \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
                          \'30 Chev Coach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by johnesmonde

I'm trying to post pictures of the wheels on my Hawk.Hope it works
                            Really well if I had a 48" monitor. [:0] If you separate the individual pictures they will stack as shown below and not scroll across the monitor.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                            Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

John, are those 16" Crown Vic wheels? I always thought those would look good on a C-K but never had a set to try.

nate

--
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                              X