'63-64 Rear Axle on earlier cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63-64 Rear Axle on earlier cars?

20-25 years ago I sort of impuslively (like everything else I do) puchased a complete NOS rear axle/differential Twin Traction assembly from Newman & Altman, always had planned to use it in a now long-gone '57 Golden Hawk.

This is the late tapered axles version with welded brackets for Avanti-style traction bars. I believe the ratio was 3.54. (The assembly has been stored all these years in its burlap wrapping at the restoration/repair shop I have long used; it's about 50 miles away and I don't recall all the info on the tags.)

If I ever encounter problems with my 6H Speedster, 56J or 58H differentials, any issues with swapping out the entire assembly? Was track width different? (The Speedster has the rare dealer-option rear skirts with not much room, can't even use the center caps on the wire covers as it is.)
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

Hi Gil would you be interested in selling the Axle? I have a 63 Lark Daytona and was looking for a TT Dana 44. I live in Monterey Park and could drive out and pick it up if your interested in selling it. Thanks Patrick

Comment

1953 and later Studebaker cars all had the same width rear axle housings.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

It will fit on any of your cars no problem. Great 4-speed rear end for someone if you ever want to sell it. You will get top dollar for this one.

Comment

Working...
        X