Mr. Biggs is gonna shoot me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Biggs is gonna shoot me...

Actually he already is aware of this and didn't shoot me (yet ).

I like working on multiple Studes at the same time. If one gets tiresome, I switch to another until I get re energized to go back to the other. About 3 is my limit. Any more and it starts to seem overwhelming. It has been the Ute, the pink '55 Commander coupe and Bigg's purple '63 Daytona.

I really like the looks of the Daytona. I like how Biggs has minimized the trim on it, I like the color, the interior, the wheel/tire combo I chose, etc. It's a fun car to work on for those reasons.

I've been struggling with a engine/trans combo for it. My 1st choice would be a full flow V8 with a 4 speed (it was a 4 speed car originally). I don't have either and to get those items would price me out of the car. My second choice was the 259 and Powershift that Bob supplied with the car. The engine is probably OK, but the Powershift most likely needs to be gone through.

I did have that low mileage 305/TH350 in inventory. It looked like this when I brought it home...

It ran good...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F2YzW0VIMW8

So I cleaned it up, rattle canned it, put on a $35 swap meet aluminum intake and some chrome dress up parts. Less than $400 into the total package and it looked like this...

I decided that the 305/TH350 would probably be the best choice for this Lark...not my first choice, but the best. It is in keeping with the "hot rod" flavor of the car, and it is the most economical when compared to the Studebaker choices (total cost for the engine/trans is half or less the cost of a BW auto rebuild).

I installed it yesterday...

Nothing needed to be cut in the process, so if a future owner wants to go back to Stude power, it is an easy change.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hi, Dick,

As always, you have done a really a clean installation in a clean car.

My check for $400 is in the mail. When can I pick up my low-mileage-runs-good SBC 305/350 with aluminum intake, carb, chrome air cleaner and rocker covers, flex fan, new plug wires, headers and motor mounts?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Coming to a drag strip near you in the future Very sanitary looking combo all kidding aside Dick. You're having entirely too much fun though
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Looks like it was meant to be in there!

More pics or a link to more pics please.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
          53 Starliner Hardtop
          Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Dick's having a little fun at my expense. See, he already asked me if I'd be upset with the transplant. S'not what I would do, but as I told Dick - it's HIS car now. Whatever turns his crank![}]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Very neat & clean install. Is that paint rose mist? It answers a question that I've had too- I see that you can run a hei distributor. Guess thats what I'll be doing when i put my 66 back on the road.

60 Lark convertible
              61 Champ
              62 Daytona convertible
              63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2)
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

My check for $400 is in the mail. When can I pick up my low-mileage-runs-good SBC 305/350 with aluminum intake, carb, chrome air cleaner and rocker covers, flex fan, new plug wires, headers and motor mounts?
                The motor/trans is from Craig's list. It is out of his '78 Chevy half ton that he totaled. He was the original owner. 60,000 miles. He wanted $500 for it. I offered $300. He ran it on Craig's list for a couple of months then called me and asked if I was still interested in it. I bought it for $300. The intake was also Craig's list $35. The carb was $5 at a swap meet ('78 305 Quadrajet...I haven't put a kit in it yet, but will). Chrome air cleaner and rocker covers were $40 (new) at a swap meet. Flex fan was $5 swap meet. Plug wires came with the motor. Headers won't stay...they were borrowed from a friend to test fit...they don't. I'll use some rams horns I have in inventory. Motor mounts are from the guy that sold me the Ute. He was going to put a Chevy in it and had bought 2 different types of mounts...these, and a Hurst saddle style. I sold the Hurst one on eBay for what I paid him for both sets. Oil and filter change $20. Total = $405

Everybody that wants a Chevy V8 wants a 350. Everyone that wants a Chevy auto wants a TH700 or 200. A 305/TH350 is not desirable and therefore cheap. A 350 TH700 combo like this is probably $1500-2000.

I AM a CASO, but I think my definition is different from BAMS'. I really enjoy shopping for a good deal. I enjoy that as much as wrenching and driving them. The motor is a prime example.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude_s

Oh Dick,
                  All those posts on the hassles of swapping to a c***y engine!
                  I've done them before and have a good idea of what's involved and where the problems are. What I don't like to see is someone getting half way through the swap process and finding out they are way over their head and abandoning the project. Thats why I caution those with no experience that think it's a no brainer.
                  1. I don't know. The guy I bought them from said he got them from somebody "back east". They fit pretty good, but I did have to reverse the factory chassis mounts and drill one hole in them. The engine ended up in exactly the same place as a 283 in a 65-66.

2. I haven't done that yet. I've left the original bellhousing mount in since it also acts as a body support. My first choice for the trans mount is a ChevyBaker trans mount out of a '65-66. When Stude went to the Chevy motor, they mounted the trans off the rear like Chevy does. I think I could make one of those work real easy. If anybody has one, please let me know. If not, I'll just fab one out of channel.

3. It will be a while before it is on the road. I really need to focus on the Ute. I'll play with this one as time permits.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Coming to a drag strip near you in the future
                    Probably not. It won't be fast...probably about the same as a stocker. It has a 3.31 open rear end, so a good highway cruiser at least.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

Very neat & clean install. Is that paint rose mist? It answers a question that I've had too- I see that you can run a hei distributor. Guess thats what I'll be doing when i put my 66 back on the road.
                      Not rose mist...a little darker. I think Bob said it was from an 80's mopar or Ford. It's a GREAT color, however. I wouldn't have thought of it, but love it!

The HEI came with the motor. I think it might be tough to remove the cap with the wiper motor in place. It might go, but it will be close. It doesn't bother me any since the cap comes off every 50,000 miles or so and if I have to remove the wiper motor to do it...no prob.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, I have the rear mount. It's hanging by one bolt from the frame of that red '65 Commander. I could pull it out in 5 minutes, and bring it with me when I bring the floor-shift T96. I expect to need this eventually, but I could take the dimensions off it. It would not be too hard to fabricate a duplicate. It looks like a piece of 2" exhaust tubing with a double bend in it, and some sheet-steel brackets welded to it.

Right now, it's soggy wet outside. We just had a gully-washer of a T-storm roll through, and my yard looks like a rice paddy. If it dries up tomorrow, I'll haul the piece out and take measurements.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Dick, I have the rear mount. It's hanging by one bolt from the frame of that red '65 Commander. I could pull it out in 5 minutes, and bring it with me when I bring the floor-shift T96.
                          Thanks, Gord! If you bring that one, I'll find you a replacement one.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

FWIW: Those mounts were available at one time from Phantom/Slick Street Stuff and may still be. They use standard Studebaker donut rubber motor mounts and are specifically designed for C/K applications - which is probably why Dick had to modify them a bit. Another option for Lark-type swaps, is to use a set of stock '65-'66 Studebaker mounts in combination with stock or after market Chevy rubber mounts.

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

Here's a close up of the mounts...

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X