• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedster bargain

More then a fair BIN of 20K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQitemZ330241782856

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Absolutely, more than fair. L/L color combo, beautiful and looks to be taken care of pretty well.

Comment

Beautiful car, no question. And I never get involved in one of these "let's pick it apart" free-for-alls. But, John....(didn't you know that was coming?) it SEEMS to me that for THAT kind of money, when they painted it, they'd have used the CORRECT color of yellow? Maybe it's the pictures and not the paint. Dunno. But certainly seems a "tamer" color than OEM.

Also, tho my memory may be playing tricks on me, isn't the interior leather supposed to be SHINY? And more YELLOW? Beautiful as it is, this one seems awfully dull. AND, of course, tho no one thinks the fog lights were pretty, for $20,000, shouldn't it still HAVE them? And an off-center pad on the inner hood? And the correct upper radiator hose? (Did I forget to mention the BATTERY HOLD-DOWN?) How about the exterior mirrors? And the discolored carpets? And the engine compartment painted flat black? (And not a very good job of that.) And I would have washed off that white sidewall, after I aired it up from being flat.

On a $10,000 Speedster, I could understand these differences. On a $20,000? Well, I'M not buying it, so I guess they don't matter. And maybe I just don't know the "market". But for authenticity AND $20,000....?

John

Comment

That back seat sure looks comfy

Comment

Are you joking or what. What? You expect perfection in a 20,000 Speedster!!! You would have to pay that much for some cobbled together GM muscle car clone. Post a picture of your car so I can see what a proper restoration looks like. I have only been a club member for about 30 years. Had I seen that car at the BIN I would have to have bought it without your assesment and then figure how to make the payments. If I couldn't have sold enough used, junk Studebaker parts on E-Bay to pay the loan I could always get in touch with a flipper to list it on e-bay so as to make a cool few thousand and buy a not so perfect GT Hawk. Wait a minute, back up there, I already have one of those. Well, maybe I will splurge for one of those 6,000 paint jobs. {NOT] I think I'll go the Maco Supreme route. Any suggestions? For Sale----1966 Pontiac Tempest[GTO Clone] 327 4 speed newer paint job. Has 1967 GTO tail light panel. $21,500 or best offer but will trade for perfect condition 1955 Studebaker Speedster.
          Must be factory original. ph. BR549 Junior Sample
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Whoa!! Wait a mo....did you see the part where I said, "Maybe I just don't know the market"? Maybe I shouldn't expect authenticity for 20 large.

But in my opinion, when you're painting, if the correct paint costs the same as the incorrect one, why shoot the incorrect one? It costs no more to sew the CORRECT leather than the incorrect one. And it certainly cost them SOMETHING to paint the engine compartment flat black. Why do it if you want it authentic? Correct radiator hoses are available. Cheap! (Did I mention battery hold-downs?)

And I've seen Speedsters WITH the correct stuff go for less than 20 grand. I'm not attempting to compare the cost of this Speedster with the cost of some other car. (Can you say "apples and oranges"?)

And I'm not trying to start a war here, just giving my opinion. And we all know what "free" opinions are worth.

John

Comment

Appears to be academic now anyway; looks like at least one person thought it was worth the BIN.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

It lasted longer then I thought it would.

JDP/Maryland
                JDP Maryland

Comment

I am so impressed with your Studebaker knowledge I could just sheet. Isn't that you was trying to do, impress us?
                  You forgot to mention, he neglected (and I for one, am glad he did) to put that gawdawful ugly electrical junction block back on the fan shroud.
                  The South is losing another great car, looks like it's going to Canada, eh.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

Beautiful car, no question. And I never get involved in one of these "let's pick it apart" free-for-alls. But, John....(didn't you know that was coming?) it SEEMS to me that for THAT kind of money, when they painted it, they'd have used the CORRECT color of yellow? Maybe it's the pictures and not the paint. Dunno. But certainly seems a "tamer" color than OEM.

Also, tho my memory may be playing tricks on me, isn't the interior leather supposed to be SHINY? And more YELLOW? Beautiful as it is, this one seems awfully dull. AND, of course, tho no one thinks the fog lights were pretty, for $20,000, shouldn't it still HAVE them? And an off-center pad on the inner hood? And the correct upper radiator hose? (Did I forget to mention the BATTERY HOLD-DOWN?) How about the exterior mirrors? And the discolored carpets? And the engine compartment painted flat black? (And not a very good job of that.) And I would have washed off that white sidewall, after I aired it up from being flat.

On a $10,000 Speedster, I could understand these differences. On a $20,000? Well, I'M not buying it, so I guess they don't matter. And maybe I just don't know the "market". But for authenticity AND $20,000....?

John
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Douglasville, Georgia
                  Be sure to check out my eBay store
                  http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_ and my EZ33 store http://tinyurl.com/2g2j88
                  for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I guess when you snoze you losse on a great car like this that is reasonably priced. For sure someone thought it was a fair and reasonable price as it is gone gone gone!!!!
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jerry Forrester

The South is losing another great car, looks like it's going to Canada, eh.
                      It was completely the opposite ten years ago![^]

I'm cetain I know the buyer of that car going by the Ebay name. He also owns a coral/pimlico/shasta Speedster as well!

Craig

Comment

I'd bet the buyer saw the flaws mentioned that kept it from being a 35K car, and felt they were not 15K's worth. BTW, the yellow paint looks fine to me, the leather is done correctly, but might be off on both sheen and shade.

JDP/Maryland
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I'd bet the buyer saw the flaws mentioned that kept it from being a 35K car, and felt they were not 15K's worth.
                          That's what I thought. I looked at the car, then the thread... and my thought was, I don't know if those things are wrong, but if they are, the price leaves more than enough room to correct them if it bothers you.

I think it would be fun to buy a very nice car that rolls off the hauler already beautiful, and putzing with details as referenced here to bring it to the next level. Instead of researching hog troughs and CE floor panels, you're playing with waxes and trim buffing...

Basically what JP frequently does.[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Note about the buyer-

He/she has bought nothing but Studebaker items on eBay the last 90 days; looks like a big fan! Is it anyone here, or does anyone know the buyer?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Johnnywiffer

On a $10,000 Speedster, I could understand these differences.
                              The problem is, there is no such thing as a $10,000 Speedster

(well, there probably is, but it would have a tree growing through the middle of it) [)]

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X