OT LOTS In South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT LOTS In South Bend

Awhile back there was a question in the Studebaker Newsgroup about other hobbies that SDC member have. I also collect and run "O" gauge trains. Mainly Lionel. The L.O.T.S. (Lionel Operating Train Society) is having there convention in none other, South Bend. It is interesting to see how they have used the logo for the convention.
    Just posted in case anyone wants to see.Certainly a small world after all.

http://www.lots-trains.org/index.html

Dave Balek

"63 R1493 3sp.O/D

Dave, I also collect Lionel Trains and have the Studebaker box cars. I like the L.O.T.S. use of the lazy "S" No I won't be in SB although I look for reasons to go there. International Meet duties will not allow it so those like you have to represent us Stude guys who are also into trains.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Say, Dave - you fellows haven't tried repainting any ALCO engines to resemble those Studebaker ran back in the day, have you?

Chris Pile
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The Studebaker Special
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Dave, I have an LG train set, which was my Dad's source of entertainment. I don't know if they are the right gauge, but I would love to have a Studebaker boxcar for this thing. Am I talking apples and oranges, or will this work?

Comment

Hm! Alco locos run by Studebaker? Anyone got pix? My dad is a model railroad guy (has an N scale Ontario Northland, Nipissing-James Bay division, in what used to be my brother's recording studio in the basement). Great big model railroad convention happened here in Hamilton just a couple weeks ago, including one of the big gyms at McMaster University, where I work, being full of train layouts. I'm not directly into that hobby myself (being more partial to airplanes and cars), but had a hand in the visual aspect of Dad's ONR; since another of my hobbies is aviation art, I have to paint the sky a lot, so got the call to paint the sky above northern Ontario in 1:160 scale!

Which model of Alco was it Stude used? Guessing they had a couple yard switchers, maybe? I know of two gents up here who do custom liveries on model locos (seven of Dad's are custom-painted), and an authentic Stude loco would be a neat offbeat present...albeit a tad out of place in North Bay, let alone Moosonee!

Incidentally, how come no one produces N (or even HO) Studebakers? Correct for the period most model railroads represent, and also free from the trade-dress entanglements affecting the "non-orphan" makes, surely Studes should be a prime choice for the model manufacturers?

S.

Comment

Tom Karkowitz in South Bend has the nicest model train layout I've ever seen. He is our Mulberry Farms vendor with the big white school bus.

Comment

Now... see if you switch to the 'G' scale models, not only will you be able to use 1/18th die-cast cars (not a lot but a few Studes), but you can set up in the back yard and let the kids play too! And yes, Lionel did a limited run of 'G' scale engines and cars.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              Lotsa Larks!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Alco locos run by Studebaker? Anyone got pix? Which model of Alco was it Stude used? Guessing they had a couple yard switchers, maybe?
                You might want to do a search for "locomotive" - we had quite a thread going awhile back about an ALCO for sale that once belonged to Studebaker.

quote:I know of two gents up here who do custom liveries on model locos (seven of Dad's are custom-painted), and an authentic Stude loco would be a neat offbeat present
                I'll keep that in mind. One of our Midway members is building a model of an ALCO engine in Stude livery pulling a scratchmade hauler loaded with Larks. He might need some painting help.

Chris Pile
                Midway Chapter SDC
                The Studebaker Special
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

As I recall, there were at least 2 photos of those "Stude" locos on that thread.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Check out these threads about the Studebaker locomotive.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rms=locomotive

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rms=locomotive

Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO
                    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                    Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO

Comment

Working...
                    X