RHC 1964 GT HAWK PO question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHC 1964 GT HAWK PO question

Well I bought and brought it to KY uneventfully. After looking at the production order I see X89 AC3311 CAR as one line listed.
    The only reference I found to it was a oil filter cartridge. Now Paul said there was no spin on filter available due to the steering box interference. Does that mean there was a remote oil filter provided from the factory and the X89 was a filter replacement or the remote filter? Maybe one of the Australian members knows? I think I will need a driver side (lol) fender front (US passenger side) Anyone have one to part with?

small part of Studebaker heaven in Central Kentucky

Yes, that's what it means. A partial-flow filter. Probably one like was used on pre-full-flo engines.

Did you get a "deal" on it?

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

write mike sandy. he knows who has rhc v8s in gb dianamikesandy@hotmail.com

Karl Haas in Califdornia

Comment

Thanks for the email address. I will send him a line or two.

quote:Originally posted by sumf

write mike sandy. he knows who has rhc v8s in gb dianamikesandy@hotmail.com

Karl Haas in Califdornia

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lexmale43

Well I bought and brought it to KY uneventfully. After looking at the production order I see X89 AC3311 CAR as one line listed.
          The only reference I found to it was a oil filter cartridge. Now Paul said there was no spin on filter available due to the steering box interference. Does that mean there was a remote oil filter provided from the factory and the X89 was a filter replacement or the remote filter? Maybe one of the Australian members knows?...
          I don't remember there being an oil filter of any sort on the car.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
          1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Hi,
            from memory RHC Studebakers did run the full flow system like the 63 and 64 LHC cars had.

From memory they used a smaller oil filter can. Make sure your engine mounts are in the chassis holes correct for RHD which pushes the motor away from the steering box. ie opposite to what LHC would be set at. The holes are in the chassis mount to the enging mount.
            Also make sure that with auto transmission mounts that the thick spacer for the transmission mount is in place opposite to what LHC cars had so your motor is mounted correctly. You can pick up on that in the parts book. All of these things give the motor correct clearance for RHC.

To make sure the full flow oil filter for RHC never had any problems, I always gave the oil filter can a big dent right where the drag ling comes up on lock as it was a little close. That fixes the problem

Some Australian cars did have a block off plate for the full flow so they reverted to partial flow, but I cant remember if this was on all cars or not.

If you own a Bermuda brown RHC 64 GT in the US that came from Manchester in the UK then I have driven your car.

Jim Quigley from Melbourne can answer the oil filter question better than I as he still lives there. I think he goes by Quigleydownunder on the forum.

Regards
            Greg

ps, most of the Studebakers in the UK were from D'letren and LHC but much nicer cars than their US assembeled cousins as D'letren was probably the worlds best quality assembler of Studebakers.

Greg Diffen
            Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
            1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
            1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
            1939 Commander Sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards
            1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
            1961 Hawk
            1963 Daytona Hardtop
            1988 Avanti Convertible
            Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
            1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
            1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
            1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
            1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
            1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Greg,
              Thanks for all the information. The car is indeed Bermuda Brown, so it sounds like you did drive it. Was the propane system on the car at the time? I would like to know when the propane was added to the car's fuel choices. If you would be willing to share your memories and experiences with the car and its owner(s) I would appreciate it.
              Certainly post here or email me as you wish. If you have any pictures that would be great too. I am assembling a history so to speak of the car's past. All tidbits appreciated.
              Thanks
              Steve

from memory RHC Studebakers did run the full flow system like the 63 and 64 LHC cars had.

From memory they used a smaller oil filter can. Make sure your engine mounts are in the chassis holes correct for RHD which pushes the motor away from the steering box. ie opposite to what LHC would be set at. The holes are in the chassis mount to the enging mount.
              Also make sure that with auto transmission mounts that the thick spacer for the transmission mount is in place opposite to what LHC cars had so your motor is mounted correctly. You can pick up on that in the parts book. All of these things give the motor correct clearance for RHC.

To make sure the full flow oil filter for RHC never had any problems, I always gave the oil filter can a big dent right where the drag ling comes up on lock as it was a little close. That fixes the problem

Some Australian cars did have a block off plate for the full flow so they reverted to partial flow, but I cant remember if this was on all cars or not.

If you own a Bermuda brown RHC 64 GT in the US that came from Manchester in the UK then I have driven your car.

Jim Quigley from Melbourne can answer the oil filter question better than I as he still lives there. I think he goes by Quigleydownunder on the forum.

Regards
              Greg

ps, most of the Studebakers in the UK were from D'letren and LHC but much nicer cars than their US assembeled cousins as D'letren was probably the worlds best quality assembler of Studebakers.

Greg Diffen
              Australian Stude nut living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 Dutch delivered
              1937 Dicator sedan. Australian Body by TJ Richards
              1939 Packard Seven Passenger monster UK delivered
              1939 Commander Sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards
              1939 Commander Swiss Cabriolet by Lagenthal
              1961 Hawk
              1963 Daytona Hardtop
              1988 Avanti Convertible
              [/quote]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by go-studebaker

Hi,
                ...If you own a Bermuda brown RHC 64 GT in the US that came from Manchester in the UK then I have driven your car.
                Jim Quigley from Melbourne can answer the oil filter question better than I as he still lives there. I think he goes by Quigleydownunder on the forum. ...
                It was/is Bermuda Brown with a gorgeous brown cloth interior- column-shift Flightomatic, clock, no radio, no tach.
                I bought the car in '85 (was shipped in early '86) from C.A.A. (Tony) Sadler who was based in Birmingham. He didn't have a permanent residence at that time, but had lived in Cork, Ireland for some time. The '64 GT was kept in Birmingham when I met him. The other two and a half cars and the two engines were near Cork.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                Museum R-4 engine
                1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                X