No announcement yet.

2009 GNRS...The Ute is in!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:I've found that EVERY magazine covered the '60 ORS, but NONE (that I've found yet) covered the '59 show. The picture of the '59 show that Hot Rod Deluxe ran (and started all this) was an UNPUBLISHED picture from Hot Rod's archives. I'm thinkin' it might be because '59 was the second year in a row that Ala Kart won the AMBR trophy. This might have made the whole show anti climatic for the magazines (and everybody else...after '59, the same car could not win the AMBR trophy twice). Anyway, if ANYBODY has or knows of a magazine that covered the '59 show, I'd love to hear about it. I'm still searching for any information on the Ute as shown.
    Dick,

I took a quick look at my magazines and your Ute is on the inside cover of Custom Cars 1962 Annual ( Trend Books T-206) by George Barris ( pic taken at Oakland Show 1959) and regarding National Roadster Show -- there is a 10-page coverage in Car Craft July 1959 ( pages 14-23) "Battlegrounds for glamour" comparing and featuring Oakland Roadster Show and Hartford Autorama. Could not find Ute in the pics. When I compare carefully the main picture of the Car Craft and the one in the 1962 magazine I can see that Car Craft framed the Ute out [xx(] If they would have made the picture just a bit bigger the Ute would have made it to the main photo in that magazine as well. I can scan the pages and send to you.

Here is a link to few pages I scanned[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/album/563683381zOZRlN

Pekka

1955 President State Coupe

1961 Lark Regal VIII Convertible
    sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Pekka,

I admire your excellent communication skills in a non native language. As Americans we should do more to learn other languages and about other countries.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by studeski
        I think you told us once but what drive train was in it in 1959.
        The ORS program says "a mild (my emphasis) 57 Golden Hawk with overdrive transmission". The hood was stock, however, so I don't see how they would get the supercharger under there. Perhaps by mild, they meant sans supercharger?

Perhaps this question has been asked (and answered) Dick, but is there any paper trail or other means by which you could locate any of the owners/bulders back then to determine the drive train modifications? Or are there extant photos of the engine room? (OOPS, wrong question to ask: Leonard Shepherd will probably now post, from his collection, several period photos of the ute's engine room from various angles!) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PekkaP

I took a quick look at my magazines...
          Thanks, Pekka!! I should have remembered you have the largest collection of vintage car magazines in the world! [^]

The Custom Cars 1962 Annual has a good high angle shot of the bed of the Ute so I can see clearer the Go Kart that is there. That issue is currently on eBay so I will snag it. I'll keep my eyes open for the July '59 Car Craft...even though the Ute isn't there, I would like the material on the '59 show.

Thanks again!

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
            Perhaps this question has been asked (and answered) Dick,[/b][/purple] but is there any paper trail or other means by which you could locate any of the owners/builders back then...
            As the program indicates, the owners/builders were Lee Talbot and Sam Chakries of Livermore, CA. Livermore is in the eastern part of the San Francisco Bay Area. I've done google searches, phone books, networked with my Bay Area hot rod buddies, but have found nothing on these guys (yet). I've done the same on Rogers Body Shop in Livermore where the car was painted. There is a SDC member named Talbot in the midwest and I will eMail him to see if there is any connection.

If anybody has any info on these guys or Rogers Body Shop, I'd appreciate it.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I second the use of Ivory Mist, a '53 stock color. that's the color of the convertible shown above. Also, for the interior, Cardinal Red nylon, stock if it was a Starliner.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              (Under Construction) 251 hrs.
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by PekkaP

I took a quick look at my magazines...
                Thanks, Pekka!! I should have remembered you have the largest collection of vintage car magazines in the world! [^]
                You are welcome, Dick. If finding the July 1959 Car Craft get's too demanding, you can have the one I have. Just let me know. My wife keeps telling me that I should get rid of "all those old magazines that no-one reads any more..."

1955 President State Coupe

1961 Lark Regal VIII Convertible
                sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

A couple comments on some of the photos from the 1960 Program and car magazines. I attended the 1960 Oakland Roadster Show, early in the week and again on the final night. Barris' 'Modern Grecian' 1948 Stude 4-door had the hood ajar late the last night. Charging the battery maybe. Anyway I was so shocked to find the inner fenders were still original green paint, and the engine was an untouched 6 cyl. No cleaning or detailing at all.
                  I met Darryl Starbird and we talked at length. As the article says he trailered the 'Predicta' out from Kansas. He told me the tow vehicle was his blue '59 Buick mild custom (that had previously been featured in several car mags) and the strain of the tow warped both quarter panels of the Buick.
                  Here's a few picks of another Stude that was in attendance.........

Dwain G.
                  D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

Anyone else think the head-on shot of the Stude above makes it look like a good canduidate for a Batmobile?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Here's a few picks of another Stude that was in attendance.........

I really like the rear end treatment on that Stude and the vents on the lower rear of the front fenders.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

Anyone else think the head-on shot of the Stude above makes it look like a good canduidate for a Batmobile?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        Actually I sort of like that front end. Didn't even think Batmobile on that one. I like the rear end w/the exhaust coming out through the bumpers below the tail lights. I am surprised that their weren't '59 Caddy lenses in them, since that was a hot item back then.

The side of the front fenders I can pass on however. Not sure about that cut out thingie.

Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

That's a first for me. Never seen fuzzy gas/brake/clutch pedals before. Fun drive barefoot I guess. [8]

Dan
                          52 hardtop
                          www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

The side of the front fenders I can pass on however. Not sure about that cut out thingie.
                            It might have just been a good way to get rid the "factory" rust out area [)]

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

That rear is very clean looking, '57 Chevy bumper ends and '57 or '58 Desoto tail lights(upper 2 lights anyway). I like it and I don't usually like customs.

Comment

Ditto, I usually don't like customs, but other than the side pipes and the fur(which thankfully died out on customs) I like it.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
                                "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
                                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                                Searcy, Arkansas
                                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                                X