66 Studes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Studes

Hi, this might have been answered in the past but I never have seen it on the forum. When Stude shut down the S.B. plant they made many of their own body stampings; With the shift to Canada did they simply use up stock and call it a day? Or did they contract out for all the body panels[?]
    Tony

If my memory serves me correct, i believe when South Bend shut down, that Briggs in Philadelphia did the stamping for Studebaker & sent the panels to Hamilton. I have the article from the New York Times from Dec 8,1963, but its not at my home here.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Dave; Welcome to the SDC Forum! Warren has some good info on one of the sources, but maybe what you do not understand is that Studebaker did not "MOVE" to Hamilton Ontario Canada! [:0]

The Hamilton plant had been operaring for a long time since early 1950's at least, I believe. So it is my understanding that they already had sources in Canada to make many parts, Prestolite Of Canada Limited made the Electrics etc. etc. since all of the Canadian Sheet metal was always and still is Red Oxide Primer and South Bend production and Parts Depot parts are dark Gray Primed, I always thought they made their own sheetmetal in Country, where ever it was made, it IS slightly different.

Of course after the shutdown in South Bend, many parts got moved around some to Canada and then after Hamilton closed many parts returned to Plant 8 Parts Main Depot in S.B.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Right you are Studerich. Studebaker didn't "MOVE"; they just shut down one of their plants.

That is why calling the Studebakers built after January 1,
        1964, "second series" makes no sense whatsoever. They had been built that way from the beginning of 1964 production so there was no difference to make up a "second series".

When I first saw that terminology (used only here) I was at a loss to figure out what was meant.

Comment

I have always wondered if the parts procurement was the other way round. Orders for American built parts ended immediately before the South Bend close down. No facts here, just what I thought when I was a teenager. It was initiated by the fact that our '64 Daytona had Canadian made hubcaps.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by monomaniac

Right you are Studerich. Studebaker didn't "MOVE"; they just shut down one of their plants.

That is why calling the Studebakers built after January 1,
            1964, "second series" makes no sense whatsoever. They had been built that way from the beginning of 1964 production so there was no difference to make up a "second series".

When I first saw that terminology (used only here) I was at a loss to figure out what was meant.
            I can imagine if one was a dealer he may consider later models a 'second series' if he filed his 1964 sales records by serial number. As well, all models after January, 1964 would have had an all-white steering wheel, fewer options, and no Challenger series available; perhaps noticeable to someone in the US. Of course in Canada, an all-white wheel was standard from the beginning of the model year, and the Challenger series was never available, so to someone here in Canada, the South Bend closure would not have made much of a difference.

Craig

Comment

SOW why did thay stop making hard tops and convertibles, 65/66 model year.

rawise
              rawise

Comment

[:I] Thanks for all the replies. I know that the Hamilton operation was a going concern since after WW2. Since total production of "lark" type vehicles 64-66, was about 70,000. Does anyone think that the body dies would need to be reworked at this point? Could this have been a reason to call it quits by the "higherups". I do remember back in the early 70's that the trunk lid for these cars was listed as NLA from Newman and Altman.
                Tony

Comment

Exactly Craig! I could not have said it better myself! [^]

To us down here in the U.S. this was a different, new line of cars coming into our Country, no, Hawks, no Avantis no Convertibles, no Hardtops, no Challengers and no Trucks. AND the few remaining models were noticeably DIFFERENT even having their own "C" prefix Serial numbers instead of VC or SC! So if you are speaking in general terms about Studebaker, second series '64 works, but if you are speaking only about the Hamilton plant, or maybe are Canadian, it may not seem to quite apply!

So I think Fred Fox or whoever in SDC had coined the most likely term World Wide for the late '64's, I just reused it from TW on the Forum!

This appeared to be part of Studebaker's' plan to downsize, create the "Common Sense car" and significantly reduce costs, and that answers Raymond's question as well.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich

Comment

It ultimately came down to sales - folks liked the cars but wouldn't buy them in enough volume to make the auto business profitable, which was inevitable once Hamilton had to bear the entire cost of the car making division. The Board of Directors wanted to exit the auto business and Byers Burlingame who took over from Sherwood Egbert was the undertaker - i.e. responsible to do exactly that.

John Clements
                    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                    Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
                    Lockleys South Australia
                    John Clements
                    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

This doesn't answer the question, but it is an interesting letter to the March 64 issue of Motor Trend magazine form the P.R. Director of Studebaker.

Motor Trend did run a 5 page article on Studebaker in that issue.

Leonard Shepherd
                      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I need to correct myself on one item i posted earlier to the fact that it was Budd in Philadelphia that continued to do the stamping for Studebaker, not Briggs as I stated. Sorry bout that, minor brain fart I guess! Hope y'all have had a good weekend!

60 Lark convertible
                        61 Champ
                        62 Daytona convertible
                        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2)
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

thank you studerich for answering my question.

rawise
                          rawise

Comment

Since we are on this interesting subject, did all of the 64' Hamilton built V-8 cars just have "V" on the firewall tag instead of 64V? Or was this a "second series" only thing? Clem just has V-Y9 on his tag and was built late July-early August 1964. I have never seen a pre January 1, 1964 Hamilton 64' car[:I].

Dean Croft
                            Roseburg,OR

CLEM DESEE
                            Dean

CLEM

Comment

Yes dean you are right, South Bend always I.D.'d the body number as well on that tag, and it was larger and screwed down on both sides. That is just one of the many suttle little changes they made on the second series 64's. That way it matches the Serial number plate which has no 64V on it either. [^]

quote:Originally posted by Clem64

did all of the 64' Hamilton built V-8 cars just have "V" on the firewall tag instead of 64V? Or was this a "second series" only thing?
                              StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                              X