58 WAGON TAIL GATE??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 WAGON TAIL GATE??

Does antbody have a picture of the back of a 58 wagon? Dennis at SASCO found me a NOS tailgate for a 58 and said it would fit the 56 wagon. He said it had a square hole where mine has a 1/2 inch hole where the crest goes. What goes in the square hole? I guess I could put a STOP light back there.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

I can't remember who the photo credit goes to, but here is a '58 you may know...

http://racingstudebakers.com/copperm...lbum=102&pos=3

A little bit better, on a '57:

http://racingstudebakers.com/copperm...bum=101&pos=10

StudeDave [8D]
    San Diego, Ca.
    San Diego County SDC

www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
    '55 PROTOTYPE panel van

edited for typos... [V]
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The first one is of Mr. Biggs wagon, but when I owned it...with my 10' 6" Cooper long board sticking out the back. The Cooper is in the rafters in my garage in Bellingham. Not many waves in Bellingham Bay.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

http://racingstudebakers.com/copperm...lbum=102&pos=3
        They even have a picture of my 56 wagon. It sure looks different now. So the licence plate goes there and light. I guess I will put a patch in and put the crest in. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
          "The first one is of Mr. Biggs wagon, but when I owned it...with my 10' 6" Cooper long board sticking out the back. The Cooper is in the rafters in my garage in Bellingham. Not many waves in Bellingham Bay. "

Darn Dick, had no idea you were an old long boarder. I'll have to dig for my old pics from '71 to '75 sitting in my '65 Chevy Van at Newport and Seal Beach. I still have shoulder scars from being driven into the rocks and not knowing which way was up to the surface. Nothing like the big fish thinking you are a seal and giving you a nudge either, eh?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ST2DE5

They even have a picture of my 56 wagon. It sure looks different now.
            Those are pictures you sent me, and that I've posted there...

StudeDave [8D]

StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

I assume this means Dennis no long has any 56 NOS wagon tail gates left.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky

I assume this means Dennis no long has any 56 NOS wagon tail gates left.
                Maybe so. Back in the early '90s when I bought the NOS one I have I was told it was the last one. I also have two used ones. All three of them are for/from early wagons~ '54 to '56...

StudeDave [8D]
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Recieved my new tail gate from SASCO today. Inside was a package opened it up and there was a LOWER TAILGATE DRILLING TEMPLATE Part Number 1332729 for all 57 &58 Studebaker and Packard tailgates. Well I thought it was neat. And on the inside of the tailgate at the bottom is a slot about 3/4 inch wide and about 3 inches long going down what goes in there.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ST2DE5
                    And on the inside of the tailgate at the bottom is a slot about 3/4 inch wide and about 3 inches long going down what goes in there.
                    For the licence plate pivot rod I assume.

Somehow I missed the first post. Here's a rear view I have of Mark's '58 Provincial.

Craig

Comment

The fins look better on the wagons than they do on the sedans. Thanks for the info. I like that back bumper also.

Comment

Hey! Who put the steering wheel on the wrong side of that '58? :-)

John

Comment

The story on the '58 is just as interesting as the car. The terms, "shipped in a container overseas" and "imported from South Africa" come to mind. When we got a look at it and it was shown here for the zone meet and the accompanying cruise night, most people thought it was a mail carrier, not a full blown import.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                          X