Studebaker History (Books)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker History (Books)

I have just begun reading the "Packard A History Of The Motor Car And The Company" book, and the thought occurred, why hasn't a book of this quality been written about Studebaker[?]

Our company had a 114 year history and would make a book as good as the Packard one.

I realize it took many authors years of research/writing to produce the Packard book. Am I to believe there isn't the same interest by quality writers in the Studebaker Story[?]

Folks like Fred Fox have written much, and Richard Quinn seems to have everything Studebaker ever produced in the way of Memorabilia so locating the necessary material can't be an issue, or am I being unrealistic? The museum and archives would be a big help. Seems to me such a thing needs getting started before many of those capable of doing so pass away.

Thoughts?

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

I have just begun reading the "Packard A History Of The Motor Car And The Company" book, and the thought occurred, why hasn't a book of this quality been written about Studebaker[?]

Our company had a 114 year history and would make a book as good as the Packard one.

I realize it took many authors years of research/writing to produce the Packard book. Am I to believe there isn't the same interest by quality writers in the Studebaker Story[?
    Folks like Fred Fox have written much, and Richard Quinn seems to have everything Studebaker ever produced in the way of Memorabilia so locating the necessary material can't be an issue, or am I being unrealistic? The museum and archives would be a big help. Seems to me such a thing needs getting started before many of those capable of doing so pass away.

Thoughts?

John Clements
    Lockleys South Australia
    John,figure you must be new to Studebaker or led a sheltered automotive life. Confident your fellow Adelaide members can put you on the right track. Try these few for starters.
    The Studebaker Century by Hall & Langworth - excellent.
    Studebakers Finest & Bob Bourke Designs for Studebaker by John Bridges
    Studebaker - The Compete Story by Cannon & Fox.
    Studebaker - The Postwar Years by Richard Langworth.
    History of the Studebaker Corporation by Albert Erskine - 1918.
    " " " " " " " " - 1852 - 1923
    More Than You Promise by Smallzried & Roberts.
    A Century on Wheels by Longstreet.
    Thats a start & there are many more. Some of the above come up on Ebay.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
    MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

For overall Studebaker history and information, I would recommend the Fred K. Fox and Dick Langworth books mentioned above.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Guys, I have some of those books. Thought it would be good to reassess/update things and combine them in one volume.

John Clements
        Lockleys South Australia
        John Clements

Comment

John, there is another one coming and it is written by Patrick Foster. When you get your new AVANTI Magazine in the next two weeks, there is a review of the book in the magazine and an opportunity to buy a signed copy or one without signature through the AOAI website. if you want to meet Pat Foster, come to Lancaster as he will be there all week long as the guest of the Keystone Region and myself.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

It would cost me probably $5000 to visit the US and I don't have the funds at present, maybe a couple of years. Am selling my memorabilia to pay for my car, don't think I need his book but look forward to the review.

John Clements
            Lockleys South Australia
            John Clements

Comment

Working...
            X