X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studehunter
    replied
    I just had all of the chrome for my 1954 Regal Coupe completed at Graves and the bill was $7,000 and I still need two pieces that need to be replated. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• studehunter
    replied
    I just had all of the chrome for my 1954 Regal Coupe completed at Graves and the bill was $7,000 and I still need two pieces that need to be replated. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    FWIW I've heard nothing but good about Librandi's but I have no experience with them because the one piece I really wanted to have plated (a passenger side parking light housing for my '55) was apparently something they didn't want to do. I appreciate them telling me that up front though. It's still in my garage as I found a decent used one that can get me by until I decide I want to go all out.

I am watching this thread in case I find a taillight housing core however.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    FWIW I've heard nothing but good about Librandi's but I have no experience with them because the one piece I really wanted to have plated (a passenger side parking light housing for my '55) was apparently something they didn't want to do. I appreciate them telling me that up front though. It's still in my garage as I found a decent used one that can get me by until I decide I want to go all out.

I am watching this thread in case I find a taillight housing core however.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Leave a comment:

• sbca96
    replied
    I took my Avanti bumpers to Vernes in California. They did a great job
    and it was 600 bucks for the 4 pieces. One week turn around, though I
    might have caught them at a good time.

http://www.verneschromeplating.com/index.html

You can email them for an estimate, they are familar with Studebakers
    and were recommended to me by John Myer, and quite a few guys on the
    Impala SS site.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• sbca96
    replied
    I took my Avanti bumpers to Vernes in California. They did a great job
    and it was 600 bucks for the 4 pieces. One week turn around, though I
    might have caught them at a good time.

http://www.verneschromeplating.com/index.html

You can email them for an estimate, they are familar with Studebakers
    and were recommended to me by John Myer, and quite a few guys on the
    Impala SS site.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    They did beautiful work on the potmetal I sent them, and they were pitted but, there are some things that are beyond Todd LiBrandi's ability or desire.
    After he soda blasted my grills, he said he could not do them and returned them at no charge. The pits went all the way through. He recommended a shop in Talahassee. I have them back now and they are beautiful. Neither shop was the least bit inexpensive.
    I still haven't done the bumpers or headlight and tailight rims but have $3100 invested so far.
    I doubt there's anyone doing a better job than these shops. I also believe there are many other shops who will do as well and possibly charge less.
    These aren't meant as recommendations, only examples of pricing for quality work.
    For recommendations, I suppose the best thing to do is check with shops that specialize in show restorations but outsource their chroming. They are the ones who have the experience and are looking for the best bang for their buck.
    Wish I had thought of that sooner.[V]

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    33 Rockne 10
    51 Commander Starlight
    53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    They did beautiful work on the potmetal I sent them, and they were pitted but, there are some things that are beyond Todd LiBrandi's ability or desire.
    After he soda blasted my grills, he said he could not do them and returned them at no charge. The pits went all the way through. He recommended a shop in Talahassee. I have them back now and they are beautiful. Neither shop was the least bit inexpensive.
    I still haven't done the bumpers or headlight and tailight rims but have $3100 invested so far.
    I doubt there's anyone doing a better job than these shops. I also believe there are many other shops who will do as well and possibly charge less.
    These aren't meant as recommendations, only examples of pricing for quality work.
    For recommendations, I suppose the best thing to do is check with shops that specialize in show restorations but outsource their chroming. They are the ones who have the experience and are looking for the best bang for their buck.
    Wish I had thought of that sooner.[V]

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    33 Rockne 10
    51 Commander Starlight
    53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My 2 cents--replating bumpers is still done at reasonable cost. But then,they are high-maintenance and will rust if not kept up or when stored in humid areas. I've seen magazine articles about a new process called "vacuum metalizing", used to redo parts. But,being that it is new, it is still expensive. I've kind of ruled out powder-coating for a substitute "chrome". Since the cost of restoring cast-metal plated parts is the labor, I figure I'll try having several pieces stripped and filling in the pits myself. Wish me luck!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My 2 cents--replating bumpers is still done at reasonable cost. But then,they are high-maintenance and will rust if not kept up or when stored in humid areas. I've seen magazine articles about a new process called "vacuum metalizing", used to redo parts. But,being that it is new, it is still expensive. I've kind of ruled out powder-coating for a substitute "chrome". Since the cost of restoring cast-metal plated parts is the labor, I figure I'll try having several pieces stripped and filling in the pits myself. Wish me luck!

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by studegary

If you are actually refering to rechrome of old Harley pieces, that would be a closer comparison.
    Also, as Biggs has stated, there is a BIG difference between rechroming steel (air cleaner, bumper, etc.) and rechroming pot metal.

I've seen A LOT of pot metal ruined by good chrome platers. It takes a very special chrome plater to do pot metal. Very few around and they ain't cheap.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by studegary

If you are actually refering to rechrome of old Harley pieces, that would be a closer comparison.
    Also, as Biggs has stated, there is a BIG difference between rechroming steel (air cleaner, bumper, etc.) and rechroming pot metal.

I've seen A LOT of pot metal ruined by good chrome platers. It takes a very special chrome plater to do pot metal. Very few around and they ain't cheap.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

Took my Avanti air filter cover to Librandi. They claimed 8 weeks, took 12 due to Herehsey.Cost $140 & UPS. Did a fantastic job. Taking the bumpers to them as well. If Harley can trust them with their chrome, you can trust them with yours. Their right by Harrisburg PA Airport
    They may do excellent work, but it looks to me like you are making an apples and oranges comparison. Chrome plating a used, and possibly pitted, pot metal piece from a 50 year old Studebaker and doing new, production work for Harley is not the same thing. If they screw up a Harley piece, they can just throw it away and do another. If you are actually refering to rechrome of old Harley pieces, that would be a closer comparison.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

Took my Avanti air filter cover to Librandi. They claimed 8 weeks, took 12 due to Herehsey.Cost $140 & UPS. Did a fantastic job. Taking the bumpers to them as well. If Harley can trust them with their chrome, you can trust them with yours. Their right by Harrisburg PA Airport
    They may do excellent work, but it looks to me like you are making an apples and oranges comparison. Chrome plating a used, and possibly pitted, pot metal piece from a 50 year old Studebaker and doing new, production work for Harley is not the same thing. If they screw up a Harley piece, they can just throw it away and do another. If you are actually refering to rechrome of old Harley pieces, that would be a closer comparison.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Leave a comment:

• bonehead007
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X