This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rechroming costs - 53 coupe

I am trying to assess how much it will cost me to restore my 53 Champion Regal Starlight Coupe. One of the big costs will be chrome plating. I counted 29 pieces including the following, all requiring replating but in otherwise good shape (no pits or dents):
    2 taillamps
    2 grille shells
    2 grille bars
    2 bumpers
    2 bumper guards
    one rear bumper guard (around plate area)
    windshield molding
    belt molding & window trim
    trunk handle
    emblems - hood "S", 2 qtr panel "S", 1 hood tristar

Can anyone give me a rough BALLPARK idea what rechroming all these pieces would cost? I just want to get an idea of what I am getting into here! [:0] Thanks for any comments!
    Charles Schneider

'53 Champion Starlight Coupe
    '60 Lark VIII
    '50 2R5

I paid about 3K Cdn about 7 years ago.

I understand chroming costs have doubled. Plating white metal is also problematic, because each pit needs to be drilled out and filled or buffed/ground out. Sometimes details and sharp corners are lost.

I was also given a choice of grades: Shiny with a few pits, almost show- a couple of pits possible but may be as good as show, and show - they work at it until its perfect.

In any case, few chromers will give you a price until they actually see the quality of the chrome they are starting with.

Thank god much of the chrome got changed to stainless for 1955!

Paul

Comment

I paid about 3K Cdn about 7 years ago.

I understand chroming costs have doubled. Plating white metal is also problematic, because each pit needs to be drilled out and filled or buffed/ground out. Sometimes details and sharp corners are lost.

I was also given a choice of grades: Shiny with a few pits, almost show- a couple of pits possible but may be as good as show, and show - they work at it until its perfect.

In any case, few chromers will give you a price until they actually see the quality of the chrome they are starting with.

Thank god much of the chrome got changed to stainless for 1955!

Paul

Comment

Paul,

a lot of the *little* bits got changed for '55, but just try getting the four big front end pieces done... I saw a whole set at SB that was nicely replated, the guy was asking $1400 - and got it.

nate

(was kind of hoping he wouldn't sell the set so I could buy the one parking light housing...)

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Paul,

a lot of the *little* bits got changed for '55, but just try getting the four big front end pieces done... I saw a whole set at SB that was nicely replated, the guy was asking $1400 - and got it.

nate

(was kind of hoping he wouldn't sell the set so I could buy the one parking light housing...)

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Nate: I'm afraid to say that 1400 for a nice replated front is pretty good. My only regrets include plating headlight rims before the repros became available, and when there were plenty of NOS ones out there.

The 53s had tons of chrome around the windows, all of which got changed to stainless for us! But you know that!

Paul

Comment

Nate: I'm afraid to say that 1400 for a nice replated front is pretty good. My only regrets include plating headlight rims before the repros became available, and when there were plenty of NOS ones out there.

The 53s had tons of chrome around the windows, all of which got changed to stainless for us! But you know that!

Paul

Comment

It depends on what sorta finish you expect. I just looked at a Speedster near here that's being redone. This guy's noted for throwing WADS of money at his projects because he wants it "perfecto".
                But this time, he skimped on the chrome. Maybe "skimped" ain't the right word. But either way, he ended up with the pot metal parts looking beautifully chromed but horribly disfigured after the shop simply GROUND away any pits that there were![xx(][xx(][xx(] Consequently, you he has grossly contorted parts with relatively nice plating on them. And the plater was tickled with the job he handed this guy back.
                I don't know how much he paid to have this stuff done, but I'd bet it wasn't cheap. And whether or not the guy bitched about how his brightwork had been ruined, it would cost a hell of a bunch JUST to round up another set of stuff to have someone else do correctly.

SO.... ASK POINTEDLY, what kind of work they do to restore the pot metal stuff. If they don't have the expertise or the desire to fix and fill the pits (and you want stellar-looking brightwork on your car), leave them and find someone else.

Bumpers are easily done by any good chrome shop. I had a full set done by a good place in Los Angeles last summer (53 coupe) and the bill came to $430.00 That included the guards too.

As to the pot metal parts, I inquired to one of the specialty chrome shops in the midwest. For the Tri-Star from the hood, two taillight bodies and the trunk handle - pits repaired and show chromed - $650.00 was the estimate. And that was without him actually SEEING the parts in question.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It depends on what sorta finish you expect. I just looked at a Speedster near here that's being redone. This guy's noted for throwing WADS of money at his projects because he wants it "perfecto".
                  But this time, he skimped on the chrome. Maybe "skimped" ain't the right word. But either way, he ended up with the pot metal parts looking beautifully chromed but horribly disfigured after the shop simply GROUND away any pits that there were![xx(][xx(][xx(] Consequently, you he has grossly contorted parts with relatively nice plating on them. And the plater was tickled with the job he handed this guy back.
                  I don't know how much he paid to have this stuff done, but I'd bet it wasn't cheap. And whether or not the guy bitched about how his brightwork had been ruined, it would cost a hell of a bunch JUST to round up another set of stuff to have someone else do correctly.

SO.... ASK POINTEDLY, what kind of work they do to restore the pot metal stuff. If they don't have the expertise or the desire to fix and fill the pits (and you want stellar-looking brightwork on your car), leave them and find someone else.

Bumpers are easily done by any good chrome shop. I had a full set done by a good place in Los Angeles last summer (53 coupe) and the bill came to $430.00 That included the guards too.

As to the pot metal parts, I inquired to one of the specialty chrome shops in the midwest. For the Tri-Star from the hood, two taillight bodies and the trunk handle - pits repaired and show chromed - $650.00 was the estimate. And that was without him actually SEEING the parts in question.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I know that there is probably not a lot on NOS potmetal still available for your car, but I think it is worth it to do a long and hard search to see if you can come up with any, NOS is generally cheaper than repl;ating and you end up with a spare part that you could have rechromed should the nos piece become damaged.

Comment

I know that there is probably not a lot on NOS potmetal still available for your car, but I think it is worth it to do a long and hard search to see if you can come up with any, NOS is generally cheaper than repl;ating and you end up with a spare part that you could have rechromed should the nos piece become damaged.

Comment

I'm facing the same problems with my 53. You mentioned that some of the pot metal stuff was changed to SS in 55. Does this include the pot metal trim below the windows? Are any of the things changed the same part as on a 53? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen
                        Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

I'm facing the same problems with my 53. You mentioned that some of the pot metal stuff was changed to SS in 55. Does this include the pot metal trim below the windows? Are any of the things changed the same part as on a 53? Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen
                          Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

Bob, if your friend with the Speedster decides to get the chrome redone, I have some parking light housing cores that are going up on eBay in a week or two. I just wanna get rid of them, so no reasonable offer refused. They need a LOT of filling, and all the pass. sides need repair in the bumper bolt area. Have him drop me an email if he's interested. The center grill and v-bar are not nearly as hard to find decent used.

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            62 Daytona hardtop
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Bob, if your friend with the Speedster decides to get the chrome redone, I have some parking light housing cores that are going up on eBay in a week or two. I just wanna get rid of them, so no reasonable offer refused. They need a LOT of filling, and all the pass. sides need repair in the bumper bolt area. Have him drop me an email if he's interested. The center grill and v-bar are not nearly as hard to find decent used.

nate

--
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              62 Daytona hardtop
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                              X