This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by studegary

If you are actually refering to rechrome of old Harley pieces, that would be a closer comparison.
    Also, as Biggs has stated, there is a BIG difference between rechroming steel (air cleaner, bumper, etc.) and rechroming pot metal.

I've seen A LOT of pot metal ruined by good chrome platers. It takes a very special chrome plater to do pot metal. Very few around and they ain't cheap.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

My 2 cents--replating bumpers is still done at reasonable cost. But then,they are high-maintenance and will rust if not kept up or when stored in humid areas. I've seen magazine articles about a new process called "vacuum metalizing", used to redo parts. But,being that it is new, it is still expensive. I've kind of ruled out powder-coating for a substitute "chrome". Since the cost of restoring cast-metal plated parts is the labor, I figure I'll try having several pieces stripped and filling in the pits myself. Wish me luck!

Comment

My 2 cents--replating bumpers is still done at reasonable cost. But then,they are high-maintenance and will rust if not kept up or when stored in humid areas. I've seen magazine articles about a new process called "vacuum metalizing", used to redo parts. But,being that it is new, it is still expensive. I've kind of ruled out powder-coating for a substitute "chrome". Since the cost of restoring cast-metal plated parts is the labor, I figure I'll try having several pieces stripped and filling in the pits myself. Wish me luck!

Comment

They did beautiful work on the potmetal I sent them, and they were pitted but, there are some things that are beyond Todd LiBrandi's ability or desire.
          After he soda blasted my grills, he said he could not do them and returned them at no charge. The pits went all the way through. He recommended a shop in Talahassee. I have them back now and they are beautiful. Neither shop was the least bit inexpensive.
          I still haven't done the bumpers or headlight and tailight rims but have $3100 invested so far.
          I doubt there's anyone doing a better job than these shops. I also believe there are many other shops who will do as well and possibly charge less.
          These aren't meant as recommendations, only examples of pricing for quality work.
          For recommendations, I suppose the best thing to do is check with shops that specialize in show restorations but outsource their chroming. They are the ones who have the experience and are looking for the best bang for their buck.
          Wish I had thought of that sooner.[V]

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          33 Rockne 10
          51 Commander Starlight
          53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

They did beautiful work on the potmetal I sent them, and they were pitted but, there are some things that are beyond Todd LiBrandi's ability or desire.
            After he soda blasted my grills, he said he could not do them and returned them at no charge. The pits went all the way through. He recommended a shop in Talahassee. I have them back now and they are beautiful. Neither shop was the least bit inexpensive.
            I still haven't done the bumpers or headlight and tailight rims but have $3100 invested so far.
            I doubt there's anyone doing a better job than these shops. I also believe there are many other shops who will do as well and possibly charge less.
            These aren't meant as recommendations, only examples of pricing for quality work.
            For recommendations, I suppose the best thing to do is check with shops that specialize in show restorations but outsource their chroming. They are the ones who have the experience and are looking for the best bang for their buck.
            Wish I had thought of that sooner.[V]

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            33 Rockne 10
            51 Commander Starlight
            53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I took my Avanti bumpers to Vernes in California. They did a great job
              and it was 600 bucks for the 4 pieces. One week turn around, though I
              might have caught them at a good time.

http://www.verneschromeplating.com/index.html

You can email them for an estimate, they are familar with Studebakers
              and were recommended to me by John Myer, and quite a few guys on the
              Impala SS site.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I took my Avanti bumpers to Vernes in California. They did a great job
                and it was 600 bucks for the 4 pieces. One week turn around, though I
                might have caught them at a good time.

http://www.verneschromeplating.com/index.html

You can email them for an estimate, they are familar with Studebakers
                and were recommended to me by John Myer, and quite a few guys on the
                Impala SS site.

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

FWIW I've heard nothing but good about Librandi's but I have no experience with them because the one piece I really wanted to have plated (a passenger side parking light housing for my '55) was apparently something they didn't want to do. I appreciate them telling me that up front though. It's still in my garage as I found a decent used one that can get me by until I decide I want to go all out.

I am watching this thread in case I find a taillight housing core however.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

FWIW I've heard nothing but good about Librandi's but I have no experience with them because the one piece I really wanted to have plated (a passenger side parking light housing for my '55) was apparently something they didn't want to do. I appreciate them telling me that up front though. It's still in my garage as I found a decent used one that can get me by until I decide I want to go all out.

I am watching this thread in case I find a taillight housing core however.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I just had all of the chrome for my 1954 Regal Coupe completed at Graves and the bill was $7,000 and I still need two pieces that need to be replated. Good luck.
                      Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
                      City of York Fire Department
                      York, SC 29745
                      1954 Regal Starlight Coupe

Comment

I just had all of the chrome for my 1954 Regal Coupe completed at Graves and the bill was $7,000 and I still need two pieces that need to be replated. Good luck.
                        Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
                        City of York Fire Department
                        York, SC 29745
                        1954 Regal Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
                        X