X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bonehead007
    replied
    Took my Avanti air filter cover to Librandi. They claimed 8 weeks, took 12 due to Herehsey.Cost $140 & UPS. Did a fantastic job. Taking the bumpers to them as well. If Harley can trust them with their chrome, you can trust them with yours. Their right by Harrisburg PA Airport

Leave a comment:

• Kdancy
    replied
    It takes a lot of experience to be able to plate pot metal. So much variation in the metal itself. It is pretty easy to screw it up.

Leave a comment:

• Kdancy
    replied
    It takes a lot of experience to be able to plate pot metal. So much variation in the metal itself. It is pretty easy to screw it up.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Terry,

Caswell's been around for quite some time - at least 15 years or more. If it was worthy of show chrome, it'd be BIG in the hobby. The fact that it's not is telling. Pot metal's NOT easy to plate - especially since so much of it is odd-shaped and the chrome doesn't just uniformly cover a piece like you'd like it to. It takes expertise that only comes from experience. Throw in the rare talent to fix, bent, cracked (and worst) PITTED stuff and you've got a recipie for frustration. PLUS, if you screw up your stuff (quite possible!) you're gonna be looking for replacements to take to a reputable plater anyways!

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Terry,

Caswell's been around for quite some time - at least 15 years or more. If it was worthy of show chrome, it'd be BIG in the hobby. The fact that it's not is telling. Pot metal's NOT easy to plate - especially since so much of it is odd-shaped and the chrome doesn't just uniformly cover a piece like you'd like it to. It takes expertise that only comes from experience. Throw in the rare talent to fix, bent, cracked (and worst) PITTED stuff and you've got a recipie for frustration. PLUS, if you screw up your stuff (quite possible!) you're gonna be looking for replacements to take to a reputable plater anyways!

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• dictator27
    replied
    Hey guys, take a look at www.caswellplating.com. They supply all the necessary stuff to do your own dechroming, buffing, pot metal repairing and rechroming along with all kinds of other stuff. This way you have control over the quality of the job.

Terry
    27 Dictator sedan
    54 Commander hardtop

Leave a comment:

• dictator27
    replied
    Hey guys, take a look at www.caswellplating.com. They supply all the necessary stuff to do your own dechroming, buffing, pot metal repairing and rechroming along with all kinds of other stuff. This way you have control over the quality of the job.

Terry
    27 Dictator sedan
    54 Commander hardtop

Leave a comment:

• Kdancy
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by rocinante

I am trying to assess how much it will cost me to restore my 53 Champion Regal Starlight Coupe. One of the big costs will be chrome plating. I counted 29 pieces including the following, all requiring replating but in otherwise good shape (no pits or dents):
    2 taillamps
    2 grille shells
    2 grille bars
    2 bumpers
    2 bumper guards
    one rear bumper guard (around plate area)
    windshield molding
    belt molding & window trim
    trunk handle
    emblems - hood "S", 2 qtr panel "S", 1 hood tristar

Can anyone give me a rough BALLPARK idea what rechroming all these pieces would cost? I just want to get an idea of what I am getting into here! [:0] Thanks for any comments!
    Charles Schneider
    Charles, what did you wind up doing with your chrome work ?

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8

Leave a comment:

• Kdancy
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by rocinante

I am trying to assess how much it will cost me to restore my 53 Champion Regal Starlight Coupe. One of the big costs will be chrome plating. I counted 29 pieces including the following, all requiring replating but in otherwise good shape (no pits or dents):
    2 taillamps
    2 grille shells
    2 grille bars
    2 bumpers
    2 bumper guards
    windshield molding
    trunk handle

Can anyone give me a rough BALLPARK idea what rechroming all these pieces would cost? I just want to get an idea of what I am getting into here! [:0] Thanks for any comments!
    Charles Schneider
    Charles, what did you wind up doing with your chrome work ?

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8

Leave a comment:

• studehunter
    replied
    I have a 1954 Coupe thata I am waiting in the chrom to be finished as we speak. Yes there is a ton of trim on these wonderful cars. Most if which is pot metal. Are you sitting down? my estimate from Graves Custom Plating was between $5,000-$7,000 but you do not want to cut it short. I hope this helps.

2 taillamps
    2 grille shells
    2 grille bars
    2 bumpers
    2 bumper guards
    windshield molding
    trunk handle

Charles Schneider

'53 Champion Starlight Coupe
    '60 Lark VIII
    '50 2R5
    [/quote]

Leave a comment:

• studehunter
    replied
    I have a 1954 Coupe thata I am waiting in the chrom to be finished as we speak. Yes there is a ton of trim on these wonderful cars. Most if which is pot metal. Are you sitting down? my estimate from Graves Custom Plating was between $5,000-$7,000 but you do not want to cut it short. I hope this helps.

2 taillamps
    2 grille shells
    2 grille bars
    2 bumpers
    2 bumper guards
    windshield molding
    trunk handle

Charles Schneider

'53 Champion Starlight Coupe
    '60 Lark VIII
    '50 2R5
    [/quote]

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Mine was the eleventh post in this thread and I did not mention that LiBrandi's is where I sent mine and, if they can't do it, they recommend Pot Metal Restorations in Tallahassee.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Mine was the eleventh post in this thread and I did not mention that LiBrandi's is where I sent mine and, if they can't do it, they recommend Pot Metal Restorations in Tallahassee.

Leave a comment:

• 52ragtop
    replied
    Try Librandi's Plating in Middletown Pa. They do all of Harley Davidsons chrome for the York Pa. plant.
    They are also "car guys" and make their bread and butter from Harley.
    I have sent several pieces to them, and they come back great! Always a "10-12 week" turn around. it's alway been at 10 weeks or so. They are NOT cheap, BUT you get what you pay for, and pay for what you get! One plater I used in Indy, took over a year to do the front grille on my 52, looked good, but, a year?
    phone 717-944-9442

Jim

Leave a comment:

• 52ragtop
    replied
    Try Librandi's Plating in Middletown Pa. They do all of Harley Davidsons chrome for the York Pa. plant.
    They are also "car guys" and make their bread and butter from Harley.
    I have sent several pieces to them, and they come back great! Always a "10-12 week" turn around. it's alway been at 10 weeks or so. They are NOT cheap, BUT you get what you pay for, and pay for what you get! One plater I used in Indy, took over a year to do the front grille on my 52, looked good, but, a year?
    phone 717-944-9442

Jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X