Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I paid $4800 4 years ago for a 57 Golden Hawk, the coupe should be a bit cheaper, but then prices have gone up, so that should be ball park figure unless your pot metal is pitted badly.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
    64 Daytona HT
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Black
    63 R2 4 speed GT White
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti
    62 Daytona HT
    53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

I paid $4800 4 years ago for a 57 Golden Hawk, the coupe should be a bit cheaper, but then prices have gone up, so that should be ball park figure unless your pot metal is pitted badly.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
      Studebaker News Group
      http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
      64 Daytona HT
      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
      63 R2 4 speed GT Black
      63 R2 4 speed GT White
      63 GT Hawk
      63 Avanti
      62 Daytona HT
      53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

I had chrome for my '53 K done over a period of about 4yrs with 3 different places.

Outfit #1 I tried out with the grill shells only. They were gone for a year and I spent the last 6 months of that pestering the shop and even getting my CC provider involved to put some leverage. Cost somewhere around $400 (its about 8yrs ago now). The shells were rough and they did a OK job given what they had to work with. The chrome is a little thin tho and the copper is starting to come out now. Place went out of business since.

Outfit #2 I had do the front and rear bumpers and the front guards. The place had a drop off at a local body supply shop so I just left them there and picked up about 2-3 months later. Excellent work. About $500 or so. They only do bumpers though.

Outfit #3. From bad experience with #1, I sent the rest of my pot metal (except grill shells and rear Tri-star) to place recommended by a 3rd party. Nightmare! It took 3yrs and threat of legal action by the DA's office in that city to get my parts back. I made the mistake of paying by check after getting a quote (this was after I sent the parts in for their inspection). It all seemed reasonable going in.... Turned out the shop was run by dirtbags. I did get my parts back and they did do a decent job on them though. I think the lady(?) that ran the office was the bigger crook than the guy in the back. Cost $1100 and many grey hairs, phone bills, and sleepness nights.

Total about $2k for work done. When it was looking pretty black on #3, I pieced together nearly a full set of replacement parts since it looked like I was SOL there for a while. So, the total cost was even more.

If I go through this again, I might seriously look into DIY. There are plating supply outfits that can set up the small shop.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I had chrome for my '53 K done over a period of about 4yrs with 3 different places.

Outfit #1 I tried out with the grill shells only. They were gone for a year and I spent the last 6 months of that pestering the shop and even getting my CC provider involved to put some leverage. Cost somewhere around $400 (its about 8yrs ago now). The shells were rough and they did a OK job given what they had to work with. The chrome is a little thin tho and the copper is starting to come out now. Place went out of business since.

Outfit #2 I had do the front and rear bumpers and the front guards. The place had a drop off at a local body supply shop so I just left them there and picked up about 2-3 months later. Excellent work. About $500 or so. They only do bumpers though.

Outfit #3. From bad experience with #1, I sent the rest of my pot metal (except grill shells and rear Tri-star) to place recommended by a 3rd party. Nightmare! It took 3yrs and threat of legal action by the DA's office in that city to get my parts back. I made the mistake of paying by check after getting a quote (this was after I sent the parts in for their inspection). It all seemed reasonable going in.... Turned out the shop was run by dirtbags. I did get my parts back and they did do a decent job on them though. I think the lady(?) that ran the office was the bigger crook than the guy in the back. Cost $1100 and many grey hairs, phone bills, and sleepness nights.

Total about $2k for work done. When it was looking pretty black on #3, I pieced together nearly a full set of replacement parts since it looked like I was SOL there for a while. So, the total cost was even more.

If I go through this again, I might seriously look into DIY. There are plating supply outfits that can set up the small shop.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I had the thirteen pieces around the windows, two tri-stars, two v-8's from rear fenders and two rear view mirror bases repaired and triple plated to show quality for $1700. Sent the same shop my grills and, after they had soda blasted them, they said they were too gone for them to do but recommended another shop. There was no charge from the first shop.

The second shop soldered all the pits in the grills and did another beautiful job for $1600.

Both shops looked at parts first and quoted a price. The first shop required no payment until completed. The second shop required 50% up front and the balance upon completion. Both shops took 3-4 months and both gauranteed the work.

It should be noted on NOS or repo chrome, neither will be as good as quality triple plating. The originals were not triple plated and the chrome was thin and sealed with a clear coat. Repops with good chrome would be prohibitively priced to be profitable.

I have yet to do the light rims, bumpers and wing vent frames.

SASCO does still have the license guard bumper NOS and SI has repoped the tri-star, the "S" and the rear fender medallions.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I had the thirteen pieces around the windows, two tri-stars, two v-8's from rear fenders and two rear view mirror bases repaired and triple plated to show quality for $1700. Sent the same shop my grills and, after they had soda blasted them, they said they were too gone for them to do but recommended another shop. There was no charge from the first shop.

The second shop soldered all the pits in the grills and did another beautiful job for $1600.

Both shops looked at parts first and quoted a price. The first shop required no payment until completed. The second shop required 50% up front and the balance upon completion. Both shops took 3-4 months and both gauranteed the work.

It should be noted on NOS or repo chrome, neither will be as good as quality triple plating. The originals were not triple plated and the chrome was thin and sealed with a clear coat. Repops with good chrome would be prohibitively priced to be profitable.

I have yet to do the light rims, bumpers and wing vent frames.

SASCO does still have the license guard bumper NOS and SI has repoped the tri-star, the "S" and the rear fender medallions.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Sore subject here... Took my Hawk stuff in about 3 months ago.Turn-around time '6 weeks'....Not back yet.my guestimate on your stuff though-$3k.

LaSalle,Il
                61Hawk
                60Lark
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Sore subject here... Took my Hawk stuff in about 3 months ago.Turn-around time '6 weeks'....Not back yet.my guestimate on your stuff though-$3k.

LaSalle,Il
                  61Hawk
                  60Lark
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Hearing about those scenarios, I hate to think what it will cost (and how long it will take) to replate pitted 58 Packard belt line moldings, tailight housings, trunk handle, scoopbezel, wing vents, and the moldings around the tailight housings. [:0]Recently, I had the valve and valley cover(s) "tanked" at the machine shop. except for some pitting at the rear of the valley cover, which has some rust pitting, they are in very good shape. Was thinking of plating them, too. But, the valve covers have dimples from factory spot welds all across them to secure some inner braces, which may make plating them impractical.

Comment

Hearing about those scenarios, I hate to think what it will cost (and how long it will take) to replate pitted 58 Packard belt line moldings, tailight housings, trunk handle, scoopbezel, wing vents, and the moldings around the tailight housings. [:0]Recently, I had the valve and valley cover(s) "tanked" at the machine shop. except for some pitting at the rear of the valley cover, which has some rust pitting, they are in very good shape. Was thinking of plating them, too. But, the valve covers have dimples from factory spot welds all across them to secure some inner braces, which may make plating them impractical.

Comment

the factory chromed valve covers also showed the spot welds, they were not perfectly smoothed prior to plating. Of course they didn't have factory chrome valve covers in '58 but I get the impression that that does not bother you

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

the factory chromed valve covers also showed the spot welds, they were not perfectly smoothed prior to plating. Of course they didn't have factory chrome valve covers in '58 but I get the impression that that does not bother you

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          62 Daytona hardtop
                          http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

It depends on where you are at and how much you want to do yourself. Here in L.A. there is a guy that will do the bumpers for $235 each including the guards and overriders, 1 week most, turn around time. No payment till you pick them up. A few bucks extra if you want show chrome. The pot metal parts are more expensive, it cost me $500 for 2 grill surrounds, grill bars, 2 headlight rims, 2 tail light housings that's for the 53 plus 2 headlight rims for my 63 Champ truck. I did all the filling and grinding on the bad parts and insides the things came out better than new. But it is not a fun or clean job I know why they get that money I would rather someone else got miners lung from grinding.

Comment

It depends on where you are at and how much you want to do yourself. Here in L.A. there is a guy that will do the bumpers for $235 each including the guards and overriders, 1 week most, turn around time. No payment till you pick them up. A few bucks extra if you want show chrome. The pot metal parts are more expensive, it cost me $500 for 2 grill surrounds, grill bars, 2 headlight rims, 2 tail light housings that's for the 53 plus 2 headlight rims for my 63 Champ truck. I did all the filling and grinding on the bad parts and insides the things came out better than new. But it is not a fun or clean job I know why they get that money I would rather someone else got miners lung from grinding.

Comment

N8n, if it is feasible to plate the spotweld-blemished covers and hae them look decent, I guess I will. The Packebaker will love having some chrome on the engine, too. And, Alan--you prepped the cast-metal parts? I would like to know the procedures for doing so, if I can save a lot. Just don't want to damage a hard-to-find part. Is there a resource for info on doing this? BTW, I made my own 4-barrel intake (out of a two), before I was aware Deepnhock sold them for a very reasonable price.. My not having access to mills, etc., resulted in hours of toil drilling and grinding to get it right! But, If I could prep my own pot metal parts and actually save, I would do so.

Comment

Working...
                                X