long weekend waiting for parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long weekend waiting for parts

I've got brake parts and a shifter and some other parts on the way. Still I have a four-day weekend and so I decided to do lots of little things.

I picked up an entire 64-66 Lark dash (I don't know which year, someone tell me) for $10 at South Bend at the meet on the 2nd. Using those parts, I have decided to spruce up my interior, straying a little from stock and adding some highlights.

Yesterday, I was ready to swap out the dash gauge panel - a long task considering how it is put together. I got it apart and found a melted wire in the harness! that made me decide to yank the entire dash out so that I could insure no other wires were melted or shorted. Fortunately, there was only the one. I also had to extend the ignition wires because the switch is not on the right, instead of the left. The tear down and repairs took up all of yesterday - today, it went back together.

I decided on the paints because all of the pieces either have pits or were starting to rust through. Here are before and after. I switched the speedo to the middle and will fill the right with a custom tach setup.

You can check out many other pictures of my build at my gallery - newer pics starting on page 3.

http://www.teamwetworks.com/claymore...in.php/v/LARK/

Comments welcome!

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Looks good! [^] I like how you did the backup lights too.

I did something quite similar with my '63 dash.

FWIW, Studebaker International has reproduction dash caps, like I used. You can get them in any factory color, and they're easy to install. I think I paid $150.00 for mine, and it's been a several months. I got the NOS vanity assembly from SASCO nearly a year ago.

Here's all I did.
    http://studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc...TOPIC_ID=14174

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

George, the dash you paid $10 for is from a '63.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Matt, is your dash pad NOS or the plastic cap?

Tom, the before picture is what was in my car when I got it. The after was in the $10 dash - which had the later model glove box - not a vanity. I guess that leads to a couple of other questions: if the after dash (which is the same as Matt's) is a 63, what is the one that came in my car? The second question is: did all 63s come with the vanity or was that an option?

--george

Comment

george,

this is probably going to piss you off, but I'm guessing you didn't know that new gauge rings are available NOS...

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote: Matt, is your dash pad NOS or the plastic cap?

Tom, the before picture is what was in my car when I got it. The after was in the $10 dash - which had the later model glove box - not a vanity. I guess that leads to a couple of other questions: if the after dash (which is the same as Matt's) is a 63, what is the one that came in my car? The second question is: did all 63s come with the vanity or was that an option?
            Mine's the repop cap.

The 'old' dash in your first pic is 1963 only. All the Larks, except for the Standards, had the Vanity. The one in your second pic, the $10 one, is the later style. My gauge surround is for a '65 I think, and I used it with the '63 dash. (I really like the looks of the later surround better).

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Thanks Matt - I was sure the surround was a later year. It came with gray gauges - I like the 63 black better. I plan on getting the dash cap in the future. I guess I get to tear it all apart again to install that

Nate, Thanks for the info, but it doesn't bother me - I have a thing for red and black cars, so I don't mind bringing a little red inside.

--george

Comment

Working...
              X