Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor for my car

hello all people [8D]
    does anyone know what kind of motor a person can put in a 36 3a dictator?? i know you can put a new motor in the car but what year can i go up to and what motor will just swap right in with no modifcation or minamal ones anyway??? thanks mike

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...e/HPIM0572.jpg

Is this a trick question??????
    (My initial response is that motors are electric, and this is an engine question, but that's sure to start up the forum firestorm about enginecycles and rocket motors)
    Even the original, stock, unmodified, non-changed, correct and pure Polly pureblood Studebaker engine won't swap right in with no modifications, or minimal ones.
    It takes a lot of work to rebuild a Stude engine (stock, or otherwise).
    There's nuts, and bolts, and gaskets, and wires, and on and on..
    To give you an easy answer?
    Stude Big six. 90 hp, 217.8 cid....
    Should bolt right in...
    Stude Champ six will fit easy enough, too, size wise.
    But you'll have to fab every part.
    Stude V-8 could be shoehorned in, but not without a lot of work, and if your goal is 'easy', then heaven help you when it comes time to change the spark plugs.
    So tell us...
    What's up your sleeve?[}]
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by doughboywoodmike

hello all people [8D]
    does anyone know what kind of motor a person can put in a 36 3a dictator?? i know you can put a new motor in the car but what year can i go up to and what motor will just swap right in with no modifcation or minamal ones anyway??? thanks mike

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Is that the Erskine/Commander six, or did that not make it into a Stude until '37? I'd wanna put a warm 245 in it myself if it were possible

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

sorry can i not just put a engine from a simalar car into this car with not a lot of trouble??

Comment

Wow! That car is a lot better looking than the one on Ebay right now. And it doesn't have an engine. Don't know if it has any motors.....

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

The only engine that will bolt into your car directly with no modification would be one identical to the original. A later Stude Big Six shouldn't be too hard to install, I would think. [?]

I can't help but ask; what's wrong with the current engine in the car?

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Again...
              Once you add the caveat 'without a lot of trouble' you reduce your odds by a bunch.
              Of course you can drop a different engine in there.
              A LOT of engines would fit great.
              Inline 4 cylinder, V-6, small V8....
              You up to fabricating every bracket and mount needed?
              To some people, that is no trouble.
              To others, it is way over their head.
              No one makes a cookie cutter kit to put anything in a Stude.
              (Like the Hooker header small block conversion kits for Vega's and early S-10's of decades ago).
              What you are asking can, and has been done before.
              But it takes a plan.
              A good, carefully thought out plan, with a clear goal to shoot for.
              Your question is a good one, but the secomd you ask for 'easy'......
              There is nothing 'easy' about a Studebaker.
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by doughboywoodmike

sorry can i not just put a engine from a simalar car into this car with not a lot of trouble??
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Hey Guys, you gotta remember that up here north of the 49th paralell our english is sometimes a bit different than yours, eh ... quite common actually for "engines" to be called "motors" by quite a few folks.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander
                Zone Coordinator
                Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Don't know what will fit but there is a 39 stude six on ebay for $1.00 ending in less than 24 hrs.
                  , ,

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
                    There is nothing 'easy' about a Studebaker.
                    Jeff
                    Oh, I dunno Jeff, your Studebaker seems to "easily" attract the fairer sex... [}]

(My apologies for the thread hijack[:I])

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander
                    Zone Coordinator
                    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:swap right in with no modifcation or minamal ones
                      Unless I missed an innuendo, it seems pretty clear to me Mike is looking for a flathead Commander six.

Introduced in the 1932 Rockne at 189.8 cid. Used in Dictators and Commanders through 1950 and some trucks through 1961.

Others here are in a better position to specify the precise models and displacements over the years but, to properly address Mike's inquiry, let's restrict ourselves to the Ralph Vail-Roy Cole designed engine. Transmission/bell housing configuration might be a concern. I don't know.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Most Commander 6's will be a bolt in with minor work.
                        The biggest issue is to align the bell housings to the engine.
                        This might involve plugging dowl holes in the block and redrilling and reaming them.
                        The plate that mates to the bell housing would also have to be switched.
                        Later Commander 6's have insert bearings and are of a larger displacement than the 36 engine.
                        If you have the original 6, many pieces can be switched to the newer engine to create the authentic look with better dependability.

Comment

That's a great looking car, d.b.w.m. We need more info and pictures under that hood, etc. Help us out. What is the history behind it and what do you want to put into it besides minimal work? I've learned a ton of great prewar tidbits on here this week..but one of the things that your question perked up to my curiosity until Rockne10 calmly threw in some engine year facts, was that Studebaker Wheel recently cautioned someone about that era later in the decade and having complete model changes resulting in total anti-swap out issues among those years. Jeff is right.. nothing is ever easy with Studebakers, but finding out who knows the tricks and facts on prewar cars amazes me here every time!

Comment

I think most responders here believe the original question was: "How can I modify this car easily?"
                            At first I thought that was the question as well
                            BUT
                            perhaps the question is: what years and models used the same engine as this car? That way, replacement should be easy.

Comment

I'd like to echo rockne10's question. Since it's gonna require quite some work to adapt something else, why not refresh what belongs there???

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X