Rainy Day Activity - Looking for Barn Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainy Day Activity - Looking for Barn Finds

Talk about a find! You just HAD to mention a Diesel... Oh, someday...

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Rainy Day Activity - Looking for Barn Finds

Had planned a visit to a Middle School in eastern Lebanon County today in support of an Auto Club sponsored by a young lady teacher in the school but rain scared away all of my help. Had 6 Avantis and 2 GT Hawks lined up and raring to go but will have to wait now until the fall. The club is made up of 13, 14, and 15 year olds and yes they were alsao disappointed.

Well, since this fell through, I called a friend whp was going to come and he asked me to accompany him on a treasure hunt with another mutual friend of ours. We went to a farm in the N/E corner of Berks County PA to an abandoned farm with the permission of the owner. Wow did we find the treasures!!! How about a 1) 63 GT Hawk, 2)a 62 3/4ton Champ P/U equipped with 289 V-8, Bucket seats, 3-spd floor mounted shift with O/D transmission, AM Radio and Delux Trim package, 3) 1964 Studebaker Truck Tractor with 453 Detroit Diseal Engine, 4) late 60 1 ton dual wheel truck with 2-spd rear and 4-spd manual tranny and ........... 5) 1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire with R-1 Jet thrust Engine and Automatic tranny. This car has 56.7K miles on it and last inspected in 1973 so should be accurate. It was the wife's car. It is solid but not rust free and it is not resting on the ground. Will go back to see if it runs but even if it doesn't, it will come home with one of us. Drooling yet? I'll post pictures tomorrow for all to see. All of these vehicles are very salvagable and restorable except for the Hawk which is probably going to end up as a parts car. VIN is 63V18181, Paul so you can addit to your list of the dearly departed GT Hawks. In addition to the five vehicles there are at leat three more motors, 2 -289's and 1 259 along with a front clip from a 62 Lark and then some other misc. parts. The funny thing is all the vehicles were bought from the same Studebaker dealer and are located less than 30 miles from me.

It's amazinf what a rainy day can help you discover. Stay tuned as i will post pictures in the AM. In the meantime, dream about what's still out there in your own backyard as they are still around.

Stay tuned as this adventure is just getting warmed up.

See you in the future as I write about our past
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

OH MAN... is the Wagonaire for sale to a cash buyer???[]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Truck Heaven!! [][][^]

Good thing it is on the "wrong" side of the continent.

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander
        Zone Coordinator
        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Bams has already got the van and tow dolly warned up.

Comment

Folks wait until in the morning and I post the pictures. Bob the whole kit and kaboodle is for sale but the Wagonaire is coming to the Lehigh Valley possibly along with the Champ P/U. it will be a nice companiion to my other one. Also we gotta go back and see if we can at least get them to turn over which I think they will. Checked the oil in the 1 ton and believe it or not it was full but just dirty with no signs of water. Now for the rest of them!!

Comment

Mathew, drive your truck to Lancaster, attend the STF banquet on Wednesday evening and take another picture with the sign as we have it and will use it again.

Comment

There's a chance I MIGHT make it to Lancaster. Don't know yet. If I do, the truck will stay in Georgia.

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I want to see the champ w/ bucket seats! I never saw that available from the factory & if they were stock stude buckets, additional brackets on the outboard tracks, center plate used, ect?

What a find!!!!!!!!! Almost the ultimate find of any stude enthusiast!

60 Lark convertible
                  61 Champ
                  62 Daytona convertible
                  63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2)
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Here are the pictures from the rainy day barn find of yesterday:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Other pictures can be seen at this site:

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/k...%20in%20Berks/

All of these vehicles have good PA Titles so there is no problem with the transfer of them. if you see something you might be interested in let me know. Wagonaire and Champ are probably coming to the Lehigh Valley.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Talk about a find! You just HAD to mention a Diesel... Oh, someday...
                      NOW is your chance, Matt!!

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the pics, Don.

Craig, it's a good thing these Studes are 1000 miles away. Cause I really want a Studebaker Diesel.

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

A 1000 miles for a prize such as this Matt is nothing. My R-2 Avanti came from Florida and i drove it home.

Comment

Matthew,

I will go ahead and get the diesel. That way when I pass on you can get it and the 4 wheel drive at the same time.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                            Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

That might work Gary.

[)]

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X