Report: Brown County Raceway "Studebaker Drags"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Brown County Raceway "Studebaker Drags"

[8D] Here goes for a second try on this report. I had one done last evening, having spent the better part of an hour on it, and hit something wrong and lost the whole thing. It had been a long day and that was the last straw, so we're back at it this morning.

Richard Poe's "Studebakers at The Bean" [Brown County Raceway is located just east of Bean Blossom IN] was a rousing success. We had nine Studebakers and one Hudson appear in the Orphan Group. We might have had more Hudsons, but most Indiana Hudson folks were at one of two Hudson meets in northern Indiana this weekend, annual events scheduled well before Richard's event was created.

Nonetheless, Indianapolis Hudson enthusiast Ralph Alden was warmly welcomed with his highly-modified, pure drag racer 1950 Pacemaker Coupe with 1956 Hornet 308 power...and that's not all! Ralph's 308 is fed by a modified 1957 Golden Hawk supercharger pushing air into an R2 Studebaker AFB carburetor...complete with tag on the carb! Ralph has campaigned this car for some time and saw his best-ever eighth-mile at "The Bean" during yesterday's event: 10.428 seconds! Congrats, Ralph.

Of the nine Studebakers at the event, organizer Richard Poe's R1/4-speed Lark, the famous charcoal car from The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race, also bettered his own best time in the eighth-mile not once, but twice!

Brown County Raceway is kind of Richard's "home strip," as he spends many weekends there tuning his '63 Lark. Before yesterday's event, however, his best eighth-mile ever had been 9.070 seconds. His first run during this event was a personal record-setting 9.062, but he wasn't done! Later in the day, he bettered that with a 9.059! So he broke his personal record twice in the same day!

Sadly, that's not all he broke. His Lark's differential didn't appreciate the competition as much as did everyone else. Richard and Ted Harbit decided that Ted needed to test-drive the car at the end of the day, to see if Ted could better Richard's time. Ted staged normally and the lights came down and Ted launched...and the car just sat there at the line, the differential going crunch-crunch-crunch. Bummer. Yes, it had been a long day in competition!

Richard lives nearby and had driven the car to the track, but it wasn't to be driven home. Joe Bacon donated his enclosed truck and trailer and the car was trailered home in due course. Joe returned to pick up his own 1963 Daytona hardtop for its trip back to Indianapolis.

Frank Van Doorn's cute 1941 Champion 2-door with R2 power and Turbohydramatic was the star of the Studebaker show, as would be expected. The fact that Frank had driven all the way from Omaha NE to participate in this event was not lost on the event's announcer. Brown County Raceway is a small outlaw track nestled in a deep valley in hilly Brown County. It's not accustomed to having national celebrities like Frank Van Doorn travel across several states to attend a meet. Every time Frank pulled his '41 to the line, the announcer happily mentioned Frank having "traveled all the way from Omaha Nebraska to compete at our little track here in the valley."

Here are the nine Studebakers that competed, with the best eighth-mile time for each listed: (no particular order)

1. Richard Poe. Charcoal 1963 Lark Custom 2-door, R1/4-speed: 9.059.

2. Rich Meadows. Light Blue 1950 Champion business coupe: 14.730.

3. Erin Hays. Green 1961 Hawk, 289/225, 3-speed: 10.930.

4. Jim Roberts. Aqua 1963 Avanti, R2/Powershift: 10.140.

5. Ted Harbit.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob, thanks for posting all of this neat stuff. Always great to see what Studes can do n the track and always a pleasure to see the general public stand there with mouths open saying a Studebaker did that? WOW!!!!
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Great stuff, guys []. Thanks!

Bob,
          If you forward that email to me, I'll extract the pictures and get them posted here.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Great stuff, guys []. Thanks!

Bob,
            If you forward that email to me, I'll extract the pictures and get them posted here.

'Comin' at you, Dick. Thanks. Bob
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Barbara Bertram sent me a nice set of photos to include in this report, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to remove them from my e-mail in box and patch them over here. I've made several tries a couple different ways and can't seem to make the trip, so if anyone has any ideas, post away!
              Here's a couple of "teasers"

The rest of the pictures are here...

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...ounty%20Drags/

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Many thanks, Dick; lookin' good! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I would like to thank Richard and his wife for a "different" Studebaker experience. My wife,son and I had a great time at this event. My son drove our Daytona as it was his birthday present from my wife and I, and it actually was his birthday yesterday.Tony has never had a big interest in Studebaker(our 1956 Golden Hawk) but since the Daytona has arrived he drives it and shows it to friends.

This event gave him the opportunity to mingle with other SDC members as well as listen to people familiar with racing these cars. And listen he did!

Most importantly, we stepped outside the general Studebaker get- togethers and showed the public our cars. On the track and off people got to look at something other than the "big three". I hope other chapters look at this as another option to show off their cars.

Tony's first attempt on the track who else but Ted Harbitt was in the lane beside him!

Richard, it was a GREAT time! Let's do it again!

It is an addiction!
                  It is an addiction!

Comment

Joe Bacon makes a good point that may have been overlooked: The "Orphan Drags" at Brown County Raceway yesterday did not represent the only cars there. There might have been another 40 cars (and trucks!) on the premises in competition, so many "regulars" were treated to seeing some unusual iron. All seemed quite respectful of the alternate machines and many questions were asked. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

That was one of the reasons we did it this way. That's also why we had it in the local paper. The first calls I had were from local racers months ago, including a possible sponsor, who talked to me about the race way back in the beginning. A lot of things happened even before the race was put out on this web site. Bob, you mentioned the track announcer noting certain things about the cars, that was also in the works before the race. I was even asked about the race in February by the Brown county prosecutor during jury selection in open court.
                      Richard

Comment

Guys,
                        Being the only Non-Stubebaker Orphan running there with my Hudson I wanted to take the time to thank all of you for inviting me to come down and run. I had a blast. I was able to do some fine tuning on the PaceMaker to get her back in racing order. The supercharger set-up has worked fantastic on that old flathead. it has really woken it up
                        and cut just about 2 seconds off the 1/8 mile times.
                        Also I wanted to thank the guy that posted the "teaser" shot that
                        included my Hudson racing the 50 Bullet nose Studebaker. Most of you
                        do not know that my granddad was a avid Studebaker nut in southern
                        Indiana. He never belonged to the club but always had one around the
                        house back in the day.
                        By the way the pictures I took have been flowing around the internet
                        today. I am sure we will see these being posted all around the classic
                        car web boards soon.
                        Also to clarify the picture of the 50 Bullet nose Studebaker putting
                        a hole-shot on me in the photo album... My Hudson about died on the
                        starting line on that run when I went from idle at 475rpm to full
                        throttle. I normally pre-load the converter to 2400rpm but I wanted
                        to get a run at the converter and see if it would "flash" to a higher
                        rpm to get that 3740lb pig of mine off the line quicker.
                        I thought I was going to have to re-start the engine as it just about
                        died! You guys have no idea how easy it is to induce throttle bog in
                        a flathead six with your modern overhead valve V8's. Carburetor choice
                        on this old flathead is real sensitive.
                        anyway I had a ball and look foward to doing this again.
                        thanks for the fun,
                        Ralph Alden
                        aka: PaceRacer50 (street driven 1950 Hudson PaceMaker coupe)

Hudson Flathead Dragracer: Torque is King, RPM's are low, Parts last for ever, insanely simple if you can keep the head on.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PaceRacer50

Also to clarify the picture of the 50 Bullet nose Studebaker putting
                          a hole-shot on me in the photo album...
                          Excuses, excuses [}]

Just kidding, Ralph. Beautiful Hudson. Us orphan types have to stick together [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Sounds like a great time. Thanks for posting the pics, but I wish they were a little bigger.

Leonard Shepherd
                            http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Richard is bending over backward thanking all of us that got to attend the race that HE and ROSE did all the work setting up so I think we all need to give them a big thanks for going to the trouble to set this up.

I think everyone had a good time, the people that raced and the ones that came to watch. Was good to have Frank Van Dorn all the way from Omaha there and also the one Hudson that ran (thanks for coming Frank, neat car!) and another really nice Hudson showed up to spectate. Next time maybe we can get a few more orphan brands to show up.

Also we need to thank the strip as I thought they did an outstanding job of working with us and made us feel welcome. Some times these strip people make you feel like they are doing you a favor by just letting you pay to come in the gate. But this was good ole southern hospitality at its best.

The ole '61 truck hauled the Tomato fighting a strong headwind all the way there and all the way back and those Brown County hills had it down in third gear at times. I didn't even want to figure gas mileage.

Richard and Rose's R 1 was really honkin. He had to embarrass me not once but twice. I taught him not to do that anymore as I drove the R 1 once and promply broke an axle on the starting line for him. Joe and Nancy Bacon were gracious enough to haul the R 1 back to their house. I'm anxious to hear Joe's comments about the drive up to Richard's house. I drove a Ford F100 to Richard and Rose's shortly after they moved in. It was winter and the Ford couldn't get all the way up their steep drive way.

Also, John Kerns and Phil Harris took the Tomato for a run and I was almost embarrassed on that. They both came within a hair of turning as quick as I did and had only driven it once in the past year. (Heck to get old, but as they say, beats the alternative).

Thanks again Richard and Rose. Was a great day.

Ted & Mary Ann

quote:Originally posted by 63larkr1

Comment

Working...
                              X