NYS DMV INSPECTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYS DMV INSPECTION

Okay there are enough of us here on the Forum from NY. My inspection station went crazy this past Saturday.

On Steve's DMV Inspection Computer STUDEBAKER does not show up. Any other NY members gone down this route with DMV. Car was inspected under "Other". Problem, under "other" there was a note that came up on the screen that registration may be terminated if "other" is used.

I can't advise on current specifics in New York but, when Pennsylvania started messing with registration and inspection rules some years ago, I contacted my local state congressional representative and requested my personal copy of state laws, regulations and interpretations regarding my vehicles.

On more than one occassion I have had the opportunity to correct misunderstandings on the part of police officers and inspection mechanics.

They receive their training from others who may or may not be imparting the straight poop. Many will also not totally understand or remember what they have read, or correctly hear, or correctly remember what they are told.

If you have the legal script in hand, it may take some reading but, you may also may be able to show your mechanic the error in his education.

A computer can not be a requisite for inspecting a vehicle that does not itself contain a computer.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Huh... Don't know if we've ever encountered that in our shop, Bill. I'll ask my techs to try it on my inspection computer and see how they handle it, and report back.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Wouldn't your car be registered as a classic in New York state ?? And if so, doesn't NY exempt those vehicles from inspection ???

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

For the rest of us, what do they inspect on Studebakers in NY? After 25 years of age here in Ohio a historical plate can be purchased with certain driving restrictions and original, unrestored year of manufacture plates can be used, but there aren't any inspections required other than for an out of state purchase. If regular daily plates are desired I am not sure of the emissions inspections for cars as old as ours but I know Studebaker is still in our Ohio BMV computers. They can't seem to add an E to the end of STUD on the titles for an abbreviation, though.

I wish that the large wheel and tire manufacturers and their distributors would still have Studebaker on their websites for applications. Tire Rack for example..and they are based in Indiana.

Comment

That makes me very happy that South Carolina did away with vehicle inspections several years ago, so we don't have to deal with this sort of mess!

pitbulllady

Comment

I can't speak for Bill, but in most states, registration as a historic/antique vehicle is voluntary. While it usually saves one some money on license plates and exempts the vehicle from inspection, it also imposes severe limits on how the vehicle can be used. If you want to continue to drive the vehicle regularly, then you must pay for regular plates and undergo safety and/or emissions inspection as required.

Although not really relevant, I noticed that Studebaker has disappeared from the DC DMV's computers as well. The make shown on my registration is now "other".

Skip Lackie
              Washington DC
              Skip Lackie

Comment

I think I will take the time to write some state rep, senators in hopes that our brand just doesn't become an "other". We are a drivers club with many cars still on the road and registered. I would think that with the cheap cost of computer memory and storage, Studebaker should still be a DMV option. Heck, if my insurance company, Uhaul and Penske rental services still list us, the DMV should too [8D]

Chop Stu
                61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

Wouldn't your car be registered as a classic in New York state ?? And if so, doesn't NY exempt those vehicles from inspection ???

New York's Inspection is for "Safety" lights, horns, brakes, wipers.
                  Basically if it can get to the inspection station it passes.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by pitbulllady

That makes me very happy that South Carolina did away with vehicle inspections several years ago, so we don't have to deal with this sort of mess!

pitbulllady

Several us at lunch last week wished SC would reinstate the vehicle inspection program. With all the crap on the road these days and 25% non-insured drivers, inspections would at least help curb these problems.

Comment

Here in BC we have "public auto insurance" which means a government corporation handles all of the licensing, insurance and driver's licensing in the province. So, you cannot buy a licence without insurance, but the only inspections are for engine emissions (that only applies in the greater Vancouver area) and for out of province first time registrations.

There are 2 specialty plates available - a "Collector Plate" which allows a 25 or more year old vehicle that is completely stock (or a pre '58 with modifications) to be used for "pleasure use only" (can be driven daily but never to work or school) for about a 75% savings on licence and insurance; or a "Vintage Plate" which allows a 30 or more year old vehicle to be driven under extremely limited circumstances for about $50/year for license + insurance.

We have no "title" document per se, but each year when you renew your licence/insurance, you get a new " Certificate of Registration" which is your proof of ownership. Happliy, we still have Studebaker as a listed manufacturer, along with quite a few models (including Transtar). []

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island
                      </h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander
                      Zone Coordinator
                      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:

Several us at lunch last week wished SC would reinstate the vehicle inspection program. With all the crap on the road these days and 25% non-insured drivers, inspections would at least help curb these problems.
                        It didn't work that way in Texas. You still had thousands of illegals driving and when the kid at the testing station found out one of your two license plate lights was burt out, you had to come back and pay the man again.
                        Here in the people's republic, we have emissions tests, but you still see cars (and today a motorcycle) laying a smokecreen....plus they have exemptions for poor people who can't afford to get their heaps fixed...and heaps tend to be the pollutors. So in the long run, what's the point?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE
                          Here in the people's republic, we have emissions tests...
                          If you mean Washington State, emissions tests ONLY in the urban areas of Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish and Spokane counties. Gasoline and diesel vehicles 5-25 years old in these counties need an emission test every other year (no Studebakers obviously). No exemptions based on income. No motorcycle or scooter testing in any county.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                            No exemptions based on income.

True...but after spending a pre-set limit (I think $300.00), if it [u]still</u> fails you get a one year pass.
                            A woman in my office has this situation, her 1983 Toyota pickup runs on 3 cylinders....she's too cheap to buy a new engine or truck.

My point is (with loopholes like this and the exempt motorcycles) it doen't catch many of the cars that need to be caught.
                            I'm thankful I don't have to test the Avanti, but I resent spending my time and money testing my Mercedes or our 2004 Mini Cooper when I see so many polluting cars on the road.

And the "urban areas" of the law is a joke...I live far north of twon on 4 acres...with a great view of the mountain and a neighbors barn, cows in the back, deer eating my apples, coyotes down by the creek and the occasional moose in the wetlands.
                            We're "urban" only in the eyes of the greedy bureaucrats.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Bill G. - I have not had a Studebaker inspected in NY yet this year. My understanding is that only our newer cars with an OBDII computer need to get connected to the shop computer for inspection with the data being either stored for later transmission to Albany or connected real time. Older cars just get the old style of inspection for brakes, lights, etc.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X