Pity, this man died too young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pity, this man died too young

Interesting story here. I'd not found it before.

Gone at 49.

Western Washington, USA

quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

Interesting story here. I'd not found it before.

Gone at 49.

Western Washington, USA
    It sure was an interesting story. I knew I liked the guy, never knew he was a Marine. He's my Studebaker hero, and if ANYbody could have dragged Studebaker out of the dumps it was him. It surely is a sad deal that he passed so young....

Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Yes indeed... a big "what if" had he been able to remain at the helm for a longer period of time.

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Wow, great story. It is too bad that Egbert wasn't given the resources he needed to get the job done.

It's also an example of how far we've come, as a nation, from the days of self-sufficiency and self-reliance that used to characterize America. Back then, if you were poor, you didn't complain about it or expect the government to come to the rescue - you did what you had to do to survive. I wish we hadn't lost that.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

Wow, great story. It is too bad that Egbert wasn't given the resources he needed to get the job done.

It's also an example of how far we've come, as a nation, from the days of self-sufficiency and self-reliance that used to characterize America. Back then, if you were poor, you didn't complain about it or expect the government to come to the rescue - you did what you had to do to survive. I wish we hadn't lost that.
          Hey Clark, I'm still there!!! NT

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Neil Thornton
          Hazlehurst, GA
          '57 Silver Hawk
          '56 Sky Hawk
          '51 2R16 dump truck
          Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Thanks Tom,
            Great article!!!!

Claude Chmielewski
            Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
            47 M-16 Truck
            62 GT Hawk
            63 Lark
            64 Commander Wagonaire
            50 Champion Regal (parts car)
            [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/dakota01.jpg[/img=left]
            "One after another they volunteered how in their families and in their
            communities they were expected to be responsible for their behavior, how
            honesty was assumed to be the rule, not the exception. They also talked
            matter-of-factly about the sense of duty to their country, a sentiment not
            much in fashion anymore."
            1936 Dictator
            1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
            1953 Commander Regal HT
            1953 2R5 Pickup
            1947 M16 Truck
            1960 Lark VIII Convertible
            1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
            1962 Champ 7E5 no box
            1962 GT Hawk
            1963 Lark VI 4 dr
            1963 GT Hawk R2
            1964 Daytona Convertible
            1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

What Sonny said. Egbert was my hero, too. [8D]BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Does anyone know of anything else written about Egbert's life? This sounds like a heck of a tale for a movie script!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sir Biggs, that WOULD be a good movie! Coppola did it for Preston Tucker.
                  I live a little over an hour away from where he was born and drove through it once. I don't think much has changed in all those years. I couldn't even find anyone to ask where I could get info.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

He was (along with his Avanti) perhaps Studebakers last chance for continuation.

But having read here and in Turning Wheels about the state of the firm and the fact that the corporation wanted to end car production, I'm afraid he couldn't have done it.

The only chance would have been new products, but there was no money for new products...
                    (Let's face it, the neglect of the line was awfully appearant by 63...look at the model line...Studebaker was the master of reworking the old parts they had and turning them into something "new").

Even the "last best hope" the Avanti was drubbed in the car press for having a warmed over 53 platform. Other cars...the Lark and GT Hawk were long in the tooth.
                    And IMHO, the Champ pickup was an embarassment...the company wouldn't even fund a rework to make a bed that fit it.

No, it would have taken more than Sherwood to save Studebaker.
                    In the end, the corporation itself didn't want to save the car division. I'm not sure anyone else (the union and workers) did either.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Among Egbert's long-time hard-core fans, the debate is not about saving The Old Firm, but whether, if he'd lived, he'd have become President of the country.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by comatus

Among Egbert's long-time hard-core fans, the debate is not about saving The Old Firm, but whether, if he'd lived, he'd have become President of the country.
                        [] AMEN, Mike! BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The die was cast before Sherwood, one of my heros ever took the role as president. He however, was always the optimist and go-getter who know how to get it done and done well. While much of qhat he did was correct and right he had no backing from the spinless (IMHO) Board of Directors who had already made up there minds. Some fault those in company who produced the CHAMp but many in the public loved it and it gave Studebaker the wide-box bed it needed to compete. The amazing thing about the whole Champ project was the cost, a $100K approximately for the tooling and installation in SB and another $25K for the redesign of the truck in 1960. Add to that the ingenuity of chief truck engineer (whose name escapes me at the moment) and WOW a new truck was born. Tge Avanti with the inherant problems at MFG was another issue. I again believe that there is more to this piece of the story than we will ever know since they were aslo producing Corvette bodies at the same time. If tese problems had no occurred what would have been the outcome? I guess we will never know.

As too to other published pieces on Egbert, I have a piece from PLayboy and a resulting letter from an irrate stockholder. I'll try to post in a few days.
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

"add to that the ingenuity of chief truck engineer"

Otis Romine?

1957 Packard Clipper
                            1958 Golden Hawk
                            1963 Daytona Convertible
                            1963 R2 Daytona
                            1963 R2 GT Hawk
                            1963 R1 Wagonaire
                            1963 R4 Avanti
                            1964 Champ