small updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small updates

Well, after a week on vacation, I was able to get back to work on my Lark today. Here is a shot of some of the changes: turn signal lenses thanks to the SB meet, grille thanks to ebay (painted by me), dual reservoir master cylinder thanks to my FLAPS. I redid the brake lines to the back, bled them all (and the MC) and fired the trusty 289 for the first time in about 3 weeks.

I now have more brakes than before, but I may be on just the backs or even just one back brake. I am fearing the front calipers are frozen.

I took the car on the road for the first time. My kids were just as anxious as me! Given the poor braking (and tail lights removed), I only went about half a mile on our country road. The stock shifter is practically worthless - it is very sloppy and sometimes locks the tranny in reverse. Hurst will be getting some of my money.

Anyway, I turned slowly onto the road and just touched the gas in first and we all heard a loud chirp! That was a surprise as I had not gunned it. I managed to slowly get it into 2nd (due to caution and the shifter) and touched the gas again. It chirps the tires in second, too - but I confess, I tried to do that one, but still not full gas. On the return half mile, I did get it into 3rd gear - without issue (other than wheel hop in first).

Anyway, I am impressed with the engine. I don't know why it is so eager to go, but I'm certainly not disappointed!

I have some things to ask about and for, but that will take a little thinking. oh, the first two are:

1. does anyone have a 63 secondary hood latch? The one you stick your fingers in to unlatch. Mine is gone and SASCO has none

2. Is the cabin air filter still available? I didn't know what it was but tugged on the rubber seal and found it pulls out. Mine was tearing and full of crud and is worthless now. This is the pull-out filter above the heater core.

More questions later.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Way to go on the first drive. [8D]

I LOVE the bumperless look and the painted grille. I have the same 'look' planned for mine. I've got a couple extra grilles, and I thought about making a grille for the hole the bumper brackets come through.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

George,
      Which style do you have on the safety catch? I had 2 different kinds on 2 different hoods on my 62 ragtop, I think I have one.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

I thought Dennis had a box full of those latches at York. Maybe they weren't Lark specific.

SI has the heater filter #1552094 for $22.50. Dennis should have them also.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

the latch is on the passenger's side of the main latch. It operates what I would call "sideways" - it will pivot to the side - not fore and aft. It has two screws on the hood - these run fore and aft. Pressing the lever would make the latch swing to the side - toward the driver's side and disengage the catch that is on the passenger's side. I can take pics tomorrow - 11pm is a little late thanks for helping!

--george

Comment

Really love the look of the painted grille mesh! That's very small change that makes a really huge perceptual difference. Me like!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard
            http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
            www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Count me in as a big fan of the grille, man! I'm liking that a lot. When I personalize a car for myself, the grille is usually where I start.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
              Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

here is a composite photo of the hood latch on my Lark. As you can see it swings side-to-side, not front-to-back. Any ideas? beneath the pic is a link to a larger version if you need more detail.

http://www.teamwetworks.com/claymore.../hoodlatch.jpg

Thanks - and thanks for the comments on the grille - I appreciate them!

--george

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Way to go on the first drive. [8D]

I LOVE the bumperless look and the painted grille. I have the same 'look' planned for mine. I've got a couple extra grilles, and I thought about making a grille for the hole the bumper brackets come through.

[b]Matthew Burnette
                  Matthew - I think that you have proven that you need, or at least should have, bumpers <G>.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I knew that SOMEBODY would say that.

quote:Matthew - I think that you have proven that you need, or at least should have, bumpers <G>.
                    Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                    X