Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott
    replied
    I bet for every one of those old Valiants you see one the road now, you'll see ten Studebakers!

Leave a comment:

• 65cruiser
    replied
    I put the Cruiser in a little regional car show last weekend. I was walking around looking at the cars and I stopped to talk to the owner of a black 57 Chevy 2-door post. Nice car, but it came out of the box (all Danchuk parts). I talked to the owner a bit and he asked me if I had a car in the show. I said "yeah, the blue Studebaker". He said "what Studebaker?" I said, "the one next to the Firebird ragtop". He said "really, I thought that was a Valiant".

[xx(][V][B)]

Leave a comment:

• 65cruiser
    replied
    I put the Cruiser in a little regional car show last weekend. I was walking around looking at the cars and I stopped to talk to the owner of a black 57 Chevy 2-door post. Nice car, but it came out of the box (all Danchuk parts). I talked to the owner a bit and he asked me if I had a car in the show. I said "yeah, the blue Studebaker". He said "what Studebaker?" I said, "the one next to the Firebird ragtop". He said "really, I thought that was a Valiant".

[xx(][V][B)]

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Posts like tis make me think about if I really want to drive the '58 Packard anywhere~~ too much explainin' to do... As if I don't already in the '65!!!

[8D]

StudeDave
    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
    '57 Commander 2dr
    '57 Champion 2dr
    '58 Packard sedan
    '65 Cruiser

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Posts like tis make me think about if I really want to drive the '58 Packard anywhere~~ too much explainin' to do... As if I don't already in the '65!!!

[8D]

StudeDave
    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
    '57 Commander 2dr
    '57 Champion 2dr
    '58 Packard sedan
    '65 Cruiser

Leave a comment:

• cwinston
    replied
    Thanks, I was fairly certain that Stude made their own engines, but the Chevrolet engines for the last 2 years threw me.

Leave a comment:

• cwinston
    replied
    Thanks, I was fairly certain that Stude made their own engines, but the Chevrolet engines for the last 2 years threw me.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    289 Stude = small bore/long stroke
    289 Ford = big bore/short stroke

Studebaker shut down all production in South Bend in 1964.
    Cars built in Hamilton, Ontario used the Indiana built 289's until they ran out, and then used a 'McKinnon' engine (Chevrolet small block) until the end of Canadian production...
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by cwinston

OK - So I'm going to show just how green I am to Studebakers, but could someone please tell me the real story behind the Studebaker not making their own engines story? I'd like to be able to intelegently dispute the guys at the local car cruise.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    289 Stude = small bore/long stroke
    289 Ford = big bore/short stroke

Studebaker shut down all production in South Bend in 1964.
    Cars built in Hamilton, Ontario used the Indiana built 289's until they ran out, and then used a 'McKinnon' engine (Chevrolet small block) until the end of Canadian production...
    Jeff[8D]

OK - So I'm going to show just how green I am to Studebakers, but could someone please tell me the real story behind the Studebaker not making their own engines story? I'd like to be able to intelegently dispute the guys at the local car cruise.

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied

OK - could someone please tell me the real story behind the Studebaker not making their own engines story?
    At least two items....
    The 289 is the same size as the famous Ford unit. In engines the size is often unique...if you say "350" "409" everyone knows wou're talking about Chevy...a 318 or 440, a Chrysler.
    When you say 289 everybody assumes it's a Ford.

The other point is Studebaker buying Chevy engines in 65 and 66 for the Canadian production line (and the post-Studebaker Avanti II also using a Chevy engine).

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied

OK - could someone please tell me the real story behind the Studebaker not making their own engines story?
    At least two items....
    The 289 is the same size as the famous Ford unit. In engines the size is often unique...if you say "350" "409" everyone knows wou're talking about Chevy...a 318 or 440, a Chrysler.
    When you say 289 everybody assumes it's a Ford.

The other point is Studebaker buying Chevy engines in 65 and 66 for the Canadian production line (and the post-Studebaker Avanti II also using a Chevy engine).

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• cwinston
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cwinston
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    I've had my car for two months now, last week I finally got the "Canadian" Avanti question!!!
    Now I feel like a "real' Stude owner

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    I've had my car for two months now, last week I finally got the "Canadian" Avanti question!!!
    Now I feel like a "real' Stude owner

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

Working...
X