Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

289 Stude = small bore/long stroke
    289 Ford = big bore/short stroke

Studebaker shut down all production in South Bend in 1964.
    Cars built in Hamilton, Ontario used the Indiana built 289's until they ran out, and then used a 'McKinnon' engine (Chevrolet small block) until the end of Canadian production...
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by cwinston

OK - So I'm going to show just how green I am to Studebakers, but could someone please tell me the real story behind the Studebaker not making their own engines story? I'd like to be able to intelegently dispute the guys at the local car cruise.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks, I was fairly certain that Stude made their own engines, but the Chevrolet engines for the last 2 years threw me.

Comment

Thanks, I was fairly certain that Stude made their own engines, but the Chevrolet engines for the last 2 years threw me.

Comment

Posts like tis make me think about if I really want to drive the '58 Packard anywhere~~ too much explainin' to do... As if I don't already in the '65!!!

[8D]

StudeDave
          San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
          '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
          '57 Commander 2dr
          '57 Champion 2dr
          '58 Packard sedan
          '65 Cruiser
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Posts like tis make me think about if I really want to drive the '58 Packard anywhere~~ too much explainin' to do... As if I don't already in the '65!!!

[8D]

StudeDave
            San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
            '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
            '57 Commander 2dr
            '57 Champion 2dr
            '58 Packard sedan
            '65 Cruiser
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I put the Cruiser in a little regional car show last weekend. I was walking around looking at the cars and I stopped to talk to the owner of a black 57 Chevy 2-door post. Nice car, but it came out of the box (all Danchuk parts). I talked to the owner a bit and he asked me if I had a car in the show. I said "yeah, the blue Studebaker". He said "what Studebaker?" I said, "the one next to the Firebird ragtop". He said "really, I thought that was a Valiant".

[xx(][V][B)]

Comment

I put the Cruiser in a little regional car show last weekend. I was walking around looking at the cars and I stopped to talk to the owner of a black 57 Chevy 2-door post. Nice car, but it came out of the box (all Danchuk parts). I talked to the owner a bit and he asked me if I had a car in the show. I said "yeah, the blue Studebaker". He said "what Studebaker?" I said, "the one next to the Firebird ragtop". He said "really, I thought that was a Valiant".

[xx(][V][B)]

Comment

I bet for every one of those old Valiants you see one the road now, you'll see ten Studebakers!
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I bet for every one of those old Valiants you see one the road now, you'll see ten Studebakers!
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Maybe, but not around here. Studebaker's are as rare as hen's teeth. In a solid year of driving mine daily, never seen another Studebaker on the road

Comment

Maybe, but not around here. Studebaker's are as rare as hen's teeth. In a solid year of driving mine daily, never seen another Studebaker on the road

Comment

I was recently told by someone that their uncle had a Ford Studebaker years ago...

I remember when I was a kid, my father being told by this guy that he had a Lincoln Imperial... my father's reply was, "Those are really rare, can I come and see it?"

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

I was recently told by someone that their uncle had a Ford Studebaker years ago...

I remember when I was a kid, my father being told by this guy that he had a Lincoln Imperial... my father's reply was, "Those are really rare, can I come and see it?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I know that both of those examples are not real cars, but names can be confusing sometimes. I owned an Imperial that was not a Chrysler Imperial and I rode in a 1934(?) V-16 Cadillac Imperial sedan (they made one that year).

Gary L.
                              1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                              1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I know that both of those examples are not real cars, but names can be confusing sometimes. I owned an Imperial that was not a Chrysler Imperial and I rode in a 1934(?) V-16 Cadillac Imperial sedan (they made one that year).

Gary L.
                                1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                                1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                                Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                                X