No announcement yet.

stupid questions revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have offered it to them at a bargin price,35 K....

Comment

I would have offered it to them at a bargin price,35 K....

Comment

Tell me where you were I will give them a deal on my Mercedez, Edsel, Lark.

1961 Lark

Comment

Tell me where you were I will give them a deal on my Mercedez, Edsel, Lark.

1961 Lark

Comment

Transtar56,

I think part of the problem may be because these guys might have been used to seeing Studebakers that DID have Chevy engines in them. This might be a predictable outcome of the common Chevy engine swap. Wasn't there a time when the Studebaker V8 really didn't get any respect because people were led to believe you could never get parts for them if they needed repair? So lots of people pulled out the Studebaker motors. What you have left is a bunch of cars with GM engines. I'm not surprised in the least that those 2 guys asked that question. If they had said Ford, I would've wondered, though.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Transtar56,

I think part of the problem may be because these guys might have been used to seeing Studebakers that DID have Chevy engines in them. This might be a predictable outcome of the common Chevy engine swap. Wasn't there a time when the Studebaker V8 really didn't get any respect because people were led to believe you could never get parts for them if they needed repair? So lots of people pulled out the Studebaker motors. What you have left is a bunch of cars with GM engines. I'm not surprised in the least that those 2 guys asked that question. If they had said Ford, I would've wondered, though.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by sbca96

I had someone ask me if my Hawk was an Edsel. The Avanti has been
                mistaken for an Austin Martin, Jaguar, and a kit car. [quote](snipped)

Uh, Tom, that's Aston Martin, not Austin Martin. Austin was a different marque of British car, with a long history in its own right.

But it just goes to show, that with a relatively obscure make of car, a lot of what people think they know is is a bit wrong.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by sbca96

I had someone ask me if my Hawk was an Edsel. The Avanti has been
                  mistaken for an Austin Martin, Jaguar, and a kit car. [quote](snipped)

Uh, Tom, that's Aston Martin, not Austin Martin. Austin was a different marque of British car, with a long history in its own right.

But it just goes to show, that with a relatively obscure make of car, a lot of what people think they know is is a bit wrong.

Comment

I've had my car for two months now, last week I finally got the "Canadian" Avanti question!!!
                    Now I feel like a "real' Stude owner

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I've had my car for two months now, last week I finally got the "Canadian" Avanti question!!!
                      Now I feel like a "real' Stude owner

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

OK - So I'm going to show just how green I am to Studebakers, but could someone please tell me the real story behind the Studebaker not making their own engines story? I'd like to be able to intelegently dispute the guys at the local car cruise.

Comment

OK - So I'm going to show just how green I am to Studebakers, but could someone please tell me the real story behind the Studebaker not making their own engines story? I'd like to be able to intelegently dispute the guys at the local car cruise.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by cwinston

OK - could someone please tell me the real story behind the Studebaker not making their own engines story?
                            At least two items....
                            The 289 is the same size as the famous Ford unit. In engines the size is often unique...if you say "350" "409" everyone knows wou're talking about Chevy...a 318 or 440, a Chrysler.
                            When you say 289 everybody assumes it's a Ford.

The other point is Studebaker buying Chevy engines in 65 and 66 for the Canadian production line (and the post-Studebaker Avanti II also using a Chevy engine).

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

OK - could someone please tell me the real story behind the Studebaker not making their own engines story?
                              At least two items....
                              The 289 is the same size as the famous Ford unit. In engines the size is often unique...if you say "350" "409" everyone knows wou're talking about Chevy...a 318 or 440, a Chrysler.
                              When you say 289 everybody assumes it's a Ford.

The other point is Studebaker buying Chevy engines in 65 and 66 for the Canadian production line (and the post-Studebaker Avanti II also using a Chevy engine).

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

289 Stude = small bore/long stroke
                                289 Ford = big bore/short stroke

Studebaker shut down all production in South Bend in 1964.
                                Cars built in Hamilton, Ontario used the Indiana built 289's until they ran out, and then used a 'McKinnon' engine (Chevrolet small block) until the end of Canadian production...
                                Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                                X