Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

was looking for a Daytona, and found an Avanti....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was looking for a Daytona, and found an Avanti....

I know most of you saw a post I had a few months back about wanting to sell off some of my Pontiacs and buy a Studebaker of my very own(my fiancee has a 58 Silver Hawk, and 2 GTs). Well I have been on the search for a Daytona, and the other day I had a guy stop to see my GTO, but, he was more intrested in the 2+2, one thing led to another and the Studebaker subject came up.......well, turns out he has a 63 Avanti, red, white interior, non supercharged automatic...and its been setting a long time, but it has never been wrecked, and is all original....my question is for all you Avanti guys, whats it worth, and what should I look for? Im clueless on these and have never really followed them on any market such as Hemmings or eBay....HELP! LOL.....

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

A wise man once said, "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti". Just be sure to keep that in mind.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

The main thing to look at is the condition of the "hog troughs". They are steel reinforcing channels under the cabin that are intended to stiffen the frame. They were never treated for rust prevention at the factory before they were installed, and commonly rust out. Replacement is estimated at 40 - 60 hours by an experienced body man.

Comment

And the troughs themselfs run around another grand.Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Check it for sagging doors and cracks at the front fender to body/cowl area, caused by frame flex. [:0]

These may not be a deal breaker, but these and the hog troughs definitely figure into the selling price! [:0]

JDP knows better than I, but I guess between 8 and $12,000.00 depending on many things, assuming it needs at least Paint and some mechanical repair, to Brakes etc.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well, I asked you (via e-mail) about the last two cars you tossed up here on the forum, and you never responded.
            Am I on your 'no reply' list?
            Just curious....
            Jeff

quote:Originally posted by loc8tor

I know most of you saw a post I had a few months back about wanting to sell off some of my Pontiacs and buy a Studebaker of my very own(my fiancee has a 58 Silver Hawk, and 2 GTs). Well I have been on the search for a Daytona, and the other day I had a guy stop to see my GTO, but, he was more intrested in the 2+2, one thing led to another and the Studebaker subject came up.......well, turns out he has a 63 Avanti, red, white interior, non supercharged automatic...and its been setting a long time, but it has never been wrecked, and is all original....my question is for all you Avanti guys, whats it worth, and what should I look for? Im clueless on these and have never really followed them on any market such as Hemmings or eBay....HELP! LOL.....

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff, sent ya a PM.....

Comment

Save your money, get a nice Studebaker Truck! Ya' can't carry a moose in the back of an Avanti... [}][}]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander
                Zone Coordinator
                Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

A white interior was not an option on a '63 Avanti, as far as I know. That suggests that the car is not "all original". The Avanti can be very expensive to restore, if you need to replace or locate missing parts. Estimate the dollars it would take to put the car on the road and then triple it. Then you will be closer to reality. On the plus side, you won't find a more fun car to drive. If it is a southern "rust free" car and doesn't have a sun damaged interior,and any of the problems of previous posts, try to buy it with the anticipation that you will probably double the cost, at minimum, to put it on the road.

Comment

Press around the inside on the "A" pillars. If you hear a crunchy sound it means the windshield channel is rusted.

Comment

Well, as true as JDP's words about a cheap Avanti may be - it is true as well for any old car to the degree the owner allows. What about JDP's Ceaser with $54,000 in receipts and Sid at $63,000. Neither one is an Avanti.

Two things:
                      1) Where are the pictures? - we need visual confirmation of condition/decay.
                      2) How much does he want? If he told you to set the opening bid that means he has some idea of its value - but he wants to see if he can get lucky and have you open with a higher value.

I wouldn't be concerned with absolute originality unless you want to be competitive at shows. Some sellers unintentionally misrepresent a car because they don't know any better. My two favorite ways this plays out:
                      1) The car is *original* because it they haven't changed anything since they've owned the car - even if a previous owner had taken liberties.
                      2) That is an under 100,000 mile car because that is what the odometer shows - nevermind that the odometer hass only five digits and starts over after every 99,999 miles.

Take some pics and post them.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                      Packrat junk collector
                      '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

To find someone to do a pre-purchase inspoection you might try an Avanti-owner in the SDC near the car or someone in the AOAI. That's what I did when I found my car in South Bend. In fact, the president of the AOAI inspected it for me, he was in town for the opening of the new National museum.
                        My car turned out to be pretty much as described by the seller and Mike. Serviceable (a 5-footer) but tired paint, shot window rubber, no body issues but in need of some service and TLC. Remember, it's still a 45 year old car.

If the car has been sitting, mentally budget $1-2,000 to re-awaken it.
                        New fluids, belts, hoses, gaskets, seals, possible a brake/PS systems overahul.
                        Mine is in good shape and the engine has never been apart and still runs strong, but it's in the shop now as the other systems tend to dislike sitting more than the engine.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Just my experience and opinions:

1. Any '60s Studebaker which has been sitting will have the same costs to get it up and operable, safe and reliable. Mechanically, they're identical.
                          2. Whatever hog trough and windshield post issues an Avanti may have, it is usually an easier, less expensive fix than typical east-of-the-Mississippi-bottom-half-completely-rusted-away steel Studes have. A dedicated shade-tree can replace hog troughs.
                          3. Every Avanti was an R1, at least. If AT, it was a Powershift. These are very rare options on Daytonas.
                          4. Styling is personal preference, but most seem to think an Avanti may be more of an icon than is a Daytona.

Bottom line for me, as long as Avanti are dirt-cheap, why make the same investment in a Daytona ?

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                          PackardV8

Comment

Jack, it's too bad JDP's away in New Orleans. ANYTHING to do with an Avanti, short of the mechanicals costs more.

Thomas63r2's observations are flawed, because those outrageous totals on those 2 non-Avanti Studes are, for the most part, totals that were run up by previous owners who exercized the option of restoring the cars by just writing checks. When you restore a car like that, ANY car, it's gonna be extremely expensive. Hell, I worked in a resto shop in the mid-late 70s where we restored a '49 Chevy 4-door for an elderly couple that happened to have lotsa money. This was in the SEVENTIES remember - and the car cost over $20K when it was done. And it was not a rusty thing when they brought it to us to start on![:0]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Bottom line for me, as long as Avanti are dirt-cheap, why make the same investment in a Daytona ?
                              That is just for you, because I can think of 2 reasons:

1. A #4-5 Avanti will cost several thousand more than a #4-5 Daytona; so for the working family-man hobbyist, which raggedy corpse dragged in is easier to explain to the wife- the $7K Avanti or then $800 Daytona?

2. Some of us just don't care for Avantis, while simultaneously having a thing for Lark types. Frequently folks see old cars as a hobby for enjoyment, instead of a way to "invest".

As always, my car, my money

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Working...
                              X