X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gordr
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Boogs

Thanks for the Alberta link Dick, I'll get myself hooked up!

I had an epiphany today - I might have come up with the color (without really knowing what it's called) - sort of an irridescent pearl! White, but not quite. Will go with the red, and not seem really off of the white accents inside.

Barnlark - neat that you'd suggest yellow, that's what the EX!owner wanted to paint it. May come to a back up color if the pearl-y thing I look for isn't what I thought it'd be.

I know that the paint will come last, but it's the only thing I get to 'plan' since someone else is going to have to do the under-the-hood bits.

Does anyone know if they all came with radios, or were they options that were just replaced with a plate if not wanted? There's no radio in mine, and the EX!owner (I like saying that) said that there was just a plate there before he got it.

Thanks everyone, this is fun. [)]
    Yep, they offered radios as an option. You see a lot of radio-delete cars here in Canada. In fact, you see a lot of very plain low-trim Studebakers here.

If you want a factory-type radio, the AM radios are easy to get. I have a number of the '63-'66 type radios, and I think they will fit a '62 except for the face plate. But unless the original look is important to you, I'd suggest that you install a modern stereo. Some cutting of the dash might be required, but probably not so much that the radio face plate or delete plate won't hide it, so you can cut without fear of doing irreversible harm. You can buy car stereos now that play mp3 files off a thumb drive, so you can keep many hours of music on your key chain.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    [quote]Originally posted by Boogs

"I had an epiphany today - I might have come up with the color (without really knowing what it's called) - sort of an irridescent pearl! White, but not quite. Will go with the red, and not seem really off of the white accents inside.

Barnlark - neat that you'd suggest yellow, that's what the EX!owner wanted to paint it. May come to a back up color if the pearl-y thing I look for isn't what I thought it'd be."

Lori,
    I was not suggesting yellow; as I said above, white with a red interior is my fav. That jonquil yellow Lark is a friend of mine's car and it came with that combo stock. I was more or less agreeing with Scott as to the unique pairing Studebaker came up with on occasion. A pearl, while not an original color, is a great idea and since it's a four door it won't devalue it at all. Explain to the body shop that this is your new princess carriage and it should look accordingly. Remember to post pictures of the car's progress like Tracy and Steve so we can enjoy the transformation.
    Forum..dare we tell her she can find a wrecked donor skytop roof, cut it off and have a sunroof on this baby while she's at it?

Leave a comment:

• Andy R.
    replied
    I am certainly fond of that metallic grey Studebaker used, as it's on my Hawk. Many seem surprised that it's an original color, as it is currently in vogue with modern import coupes. If it looks like the 1962 Lark Daytona that appears on this site's header, I'd go for it.

That said, I recall a '63 Lark at a zone meet that was just stunning - Champagne Gold w/Bordeaux Red interior.
    Something about that color compliments about any color next to it. Or maybe that's just the wine(s) talking...

Andy
    62 GT

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Radio was an option but, by 1962, there were probably more with them than without.

Leave a comment:

• Boogs
    replied
    Thanks for the Alberta link Dick, I'll get myself hooked up!

I had an epiphany today - I might have come up with the color (without really knowing what it's called) - sort of an irridescent pearl! White, but not quite. Will go with the red, and not seem really off of the white accents inside.

Barnlark - neat that you'd suggest yellow, that's what the EX!owner wanted to paint it. May come to a back up color if the pearl-y thing I look for isn't what I thought it'd be.

I know that the paint will come last, but it's the only thing I get to 'plan' since someone else is going to have to do the under-the-hood bits.

Does anyone know if they all came with radios, or were they options that were just replaced with a plate if not wanted? There's no radio in mine, and the EX!owner (I like saying that) said that there was just a plate there before he got it.

Thanks everyone, this is fun. [)]

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Here's a rare combo for a Stude red interior.. with jonquil yellow.

[img][/img]

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    If you don't like what's there now and you don't like red, I would suggest white. That always looks good with red. Studebaker had some odd combinations with red interiors (I seem to recall green, gold and blue being stock) and some of them will make most people's eyes water. White is clean and easy on the eyes. Of course black can work, too.

Leave a comment:

• Michidan
    replied
    I think it took me 2 years to pick a color for my Stude. Which was fine because bodywork takes forever to do.
    Assuming you are not stuck on repaining it the original color....

You already know which colors you DON'T want it to be. Everyone has a list like that. So from there consider what is left. What will be OK with the red interior? That eliminates some more. And it was said here ealier that black, while nice, requires an extra degree of body prep to pull off. So it might not be in your budget.

So now you are down to 3 or 4 "groups" of colors. Check out parking lots and new car lots over the next month. Here you'll see new shiny paint jobs in real sunlight. I looked in a lot of old car books but nothing is as good as seeing it first hand.

Plus it is May and Car show season is here! Walk them, and you'll find a color. Hopefully you find the owner, and he'll know the color name so you can ask for it later.

Dan
    52 hardtop
    www.studebakerhardtop.com

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    That's it...amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Dick, seriously, post a picture of what you can do with original paint and some of those labor hours only on that...then hope someone that talented is near her. We can't have nail polish and her masking with cotton balls on this '62..
    Here's that Lark Shine (pat. pend.) thread...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rms=lark+shine

I don't think she is crazy about the current color, so shining it might not be an option.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied

Sorry Dick, I loved that car and those pictures. My car was originally white sand and RDV 5..
    I like your red one even better! Convertibles NEED to be red [^]

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Sorry Dick, I loved that car and those pictures. My car was originally white sand and RDV 5..

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied

Lori, below is my favorite combo for a red interior from a recent ebay sale...
    Hey, that was MY ebay sale. That was one sweet Lark. Went to Australia. White does look good with a red interior.

More pictures of that car here...

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...0stude%20vert/

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by gordr

Lori, I don't know how you came to find this car,
    If you live near Gord and found a Studebaker that Gord didn't know about, you have to surrender your "newbie" title. That has NEVER happend before! [:0] [8D]

Seriously, Gord and his buddies in Alberta can keep that car running forever for you. Join their SDC chapter...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/lc_AB.asp

...you'll be glad you did.

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Lori, below is my favorite combo for a red interior from a recent ebay sale and a fun SDC forum topic...but listen to Rockne10 and get it running safely first, so you don't get stranded and save your pennies for a shiny version of what the door jambs and trunk look like if you can live with it for a while until you know you really like the car.

[img][/img]

Of course, I didn't listen to that advice and re-did my whole car a different '60 color than what it was stock that made me happy. Think "lottery winner" only and keep your house. It's a lot of work..

[img][/img]

Leave a comment:

Working...
X