Oooh, the pretty colors....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oooh, the pretty colors....

Because my technical knowledge is limited to squat and diddly, my first question will be that of an esthetical nature:

How'd everyone decide what color to paint theirs? Is it all about preference? Do you stick with the original? Match the interior?

The Lark I just bought is silver ext and red int - since the interior is in fine shape I'm not touching anything, so it's just exterior I'm wondering about. The current silver/grey I honestly thought was a primer, so I'm not thrilled with it. I'm not interested in red, soooo....

It's certainly something that I don't want to do twice or thrice, so any thoughts on how you chose would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    [:I] Lori
    Edmonton, Alberta

I'd get the build sheet for your car and find out what color it was originally. (unless you can tell from simply inspecting the car.) Then decide if a) you like the original color and b) if originality is important to you. If you answered no to both, just find a color you like and go nuts.

Personally I think silver/red would be a nice combo - but it's not my car. If the interior is in good shape, I think I'd probably try to find a color that I liked that would also match the interior. Otherwise your car will look a little awkward unless you change both at the same time

Black always looks stunning with red, but is very unforgiving of body issues. I like tan or cream with red as well. A mint green may not be a good choice... Also if you don't have A/C you may wish to stick with a lighter color to minimize the transfer of skin to vinyl in the summer

I hear you on the red cars. Just draw too much attention, and sometimes you don't want that.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Paint it whatever you want [^].

Some would order the build sheet for the car and paint it the color it was painted at the factory.

Some would look at the color chart for Studes made that year and paint it an original color they like.

Some would pick a non original color that turns their crank from the literally MILLIONS available.

All are valid alternatives. It's YOUR car.

A good pro paint job (dismantling the car, removing all trim, windows, etc., repairing rust/dents, removing the old paint, primer, block sand, primer, sealer, color, reassembly, new seals) will cost $8-12k. Adding a color change would be $3-4k more. Also, with a new, pro paint job you will probably want to redo the chrome and stainless since it will usually look shabby against the new paint...another $2-4k. You can certainly get by cheaper, but you may be disappointed in the results.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Is there something wrong with the $499 Presidential Service at MAACO, Dick? [:0]

(I always thought that was reserved for Studebaker's top-line models....) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Is there something wrong with the $499 Presidential Service at MAACO, Dick? [:0]

(I always thought that was reserved for Studebaker's top-line models....) BP
          I think you even get the windows painted with that level [)]

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Once the paint is renewed, a '62 Lark looks good in any color.

There are two arguments for painting it original.
            1) You don't need the additional expense of changing the color in the door jambs, trunk and engine compartment.
            2) You really want to keep it original to get that Pebble Beach trophy.[V]

There can be many reasons for painting it something else. All these reasons must be yours.

Do address all your mechanical/electrical and structural concerns before hyper-venting on the color.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I had Maaco paint the 62 Lark convertible that I restored in the 80s. Of course I took all the trim off and put it back on myself. It was also a color change since it was white when I bought it. I painted the door posts and trunk and under the hood myself.

Leonard Shepherd
              http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Yeah, um. I want to keep my house. If a proper paint job is going to cost me that much I think I'm going to start small...like with a bottle of nail polish.... stop scaring the newbie Dick!! [B)]

Comment

When it comes to paint, the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies. I have a neighbor that has had low cost paint jobs & a year later the car looks like it needs a paint job. Cheap materials give cheap results. Places that offer you options in higher costs usually dont offer much more in quality of materials, but rather use the extra money to fund redoing the car at a later date. They also figure on not everyone taking advantage of having to repaint under their warranty, so it inflates their bottom line.

What you might do to help if you do want a color change is use a program such as photoshop & see what your car would look like in different colors. Another thing to take into account is what will it look like if & when it gets chipped. If it is silver now & you paint it a darker color, chances are the chip will be very noticeable & stand out. Your paint is probably a good base unless it has fine cracks in it (commonly called "crows feet") which in that case, one would have to take it down to at least the factory primer. If that isnt done, then as the paint ages, the cracks become wider until it starts to flake off. Mr Steinkamp hit the nail right on the head with his advise to address issues that affect the operation rather than just what it looks like on the outside. I think you'll see, as time goes on, that your car will receive more than the usual attention because of its uniqueness. For me, its rare that I dont get some thumbs up or comment from an onlooker when I drive one of my Studebakers, not that they are show stoppers, but they have a character all their own & people remember them from years ago, when they were a common sight & many times, bring back their own happy memories that the cars of today, looking so alike & bland, cannot provide.

59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Sorry about the scare [:0].

Get a few estimates from reputable shops. Preferably ones that you have seen their work. Chat them up a little about "lesser" paint jobs and see if that is something you can live with.

The big part is of course the labor. Any very good paint job is going to take 200+ hours of labor. Do the math at a shop rate of $50-$75. Materials are generally only $800-1500 of the total depending on the type (base/clear vs single stage) and color.

And as Rockne10 said "Do address all your mechanical/electrical and structural concerns before hyper-venting on the color". You can actually have more fun with a good running, dependable, safe Lark with dull paint, than a shiny one that needs mechanical attention.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

My yellow truck was yellow from day one.
                      Being the caso that I am, who wants to re-paint a door jamb that had perfectly good 1937 paint on it?
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Boogs

Because my technical knowledge is limited to squat and diddly, my first question will be that of an esthetical nature:
                      How'd everyone decide what color to paint theirs? Is it all about preference? Do you stick with the original? Match the interior?
                      <snip>
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Dick, seriously, post a picture of what you can do with original paint and some of those labor hours only on that...then hope someone that talented is near her. We can't have nail polish and her masking with cotton balls on this '62..

Comment

LOL

Comment

Lori, I don't know how you came to find this car, but welcome to the world of Studebaker!

If you need parts or mechanical repairs, there is a great resource in Edmonton in the person of Curt Lagasse. He is very knowledgeable, and has quite a stock of parts, and parts cars, too. Drop me an e-mail by way of the forum, and I'll send you his phone number. Curt's not on the Internet.

Myself, I'm in Trochu, about 2 1/2 hours south of Edmonton, and I have a fair stock of parts myself.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Lori, below is my favorite combo for a red interior from a recent ebay sale and a fun SDC forum topic...but listen to Rockne10 and get it running safely first, so you don't get stranded and save your pennies for a shiny version of what the door jambs and trunk look like if you can live with it for a while until you know you really like the car.

[img][/img]

Of course, I didn't listen to that advice and re-did my whole car a different '60 color than what it was stock that made me happy. Think "lottery winner" only and keep your house. It's a lot of work..

[img][/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X