Electric Sliding Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Sliding Roof

Has anyone tried to put an electric actuator on a Wagonaire Sliding Roof? Looks like it might be feasible. Just curious. May be my project for this summer.[]Maybe I watched too much Monster Garage.[^]

Never seen it done, but have often thought about it. That'd really be the trick on Dad's '64.

Let us know how it works when you get done.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I don't think getting it to move forward and back would be too hard, getting the necessary drive mechanism to raise it into the closed (sealed) position would be the challange, the space is limited.

WP FOY, Ontario
      1964 Wagonaire Slider
      Bill Foy
      1000 Islands, Ontario
      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

I'd check out a GMC Envoy with the sliding roof to see how GM did it. No hand cracks on that baby.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I was looking in on a linear actuator awhile back for a separate project. Funny enough, just like on Monster Garage they have whole businesses devoted to the seemingly oddball equiptment. Yes I love American Science and Surplus. Anyway heres a link I had to something that might appeal to building an electric sliding roof, if robbing an Envoy of its mechanism isn't in the cards....[)]

Code:
          http://www.firgelliauto.com/
          [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

You'd need a power tailgate window to go with it. Remember, when the tailgate glass is fully up, it occupies a recess in the lower side of the slider panel.

I think it can be done. You'd need 2 motors. First one would drive the rotary handle that operates the latch mechanism. I'd think you could attach a piece of sector gear to the hidden part of the handle disc, and drive it with a worm on a small motor. Have a pair of microswitches to act as limit switches. Second motor would drive a pair of cogwheels to drive the roof panel along tracks made of flex rack (certain power windows) installed in the channels. Both motors would be installed in the slider panel itself. Modern small electric motors are very compact, so they'd make only a small bump in the interior liner of the panel. I'd supply power to the slider by way of very flexible wire spooled on a spring-loaded reel hidden beneath the front headliner. You'd need a sequencer device, or logic box to coordinate the partial opening/closing of the tailgate window with the action of the slider.

I think I could do it, but I'm just not motivated enough. I HAVE thought about the idea in the past, but never worked up the enthusiasm to try it.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
            X