No announcement yet.

Flight Hawk Flew! *Pics added*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Rose, congrats! And from one Jay Ward fan to another, don't let the mechanicals get you down... "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it"!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Good Work Rose.
      Keep up the great work and don't stop learning. The more you drive it the easier it gets. Car like these like to be driven often and usually will stay running as long as you use them. Just keep up with the routine maintenance.

sals54
      sals54

Comment

Look real nice. Is that a Mustang in the garage?

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Great! Another driver hits the road!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Yep ~ the hubby has a '68 Mustang that needs to be completely restored because after the engine blew when we were in college it sat at his parent's house for more than 10 years and rats tore up the interior and the wiring. He has a 351 Windsor? (you'll correct me if I got that wrong) to put in it once we get to that point. We finally trailered it from Southern CA to NW Arkansas about a year and a half ago.

He also has a '69 F-150 that runs but needs a LOT of TLC and currently gets 5 mpg or so.

I'm a lucky girl that he got almost as excited as I did about how "fixable" the Super Coop was so I could get her to the top of the to-do list!

~Rose

Fayetteville, AR

Comment

Yeah - the center caps DO look nice with wide whites. SASCO still has the little caps (NOS) part# 532324 in stock for $51 each. These are the little caps for 53-54-55 cars, but I like them on later studes too. And they're prettier than what WAS issued for '56.
              Might be nice to paint the wheels a complimentary, contrasting color too.[8D]

Edit: And BTW, those wires that were/are on it? Selling them will more than pay for the NOS caps I mentioned!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

RED wheels, right? I have pretty much decided on RED wheels for my '56 hotrod with Hurst cheater slicks in the back!!

The '53-'55 dog dish caps are really good lookin' compared with just about ANY other dog dish cap. The '56 ones are UGLY. You have to use those old Stude wheel centers, but if you're running stock size tires it's no big deal.

For $51 each how can you lose? For BRAND NEW 55 year old caps? A STEAL!

Comment

Hi Rose;
                  You have many knowledgable members in Ozark Trails chapter that would be willing to help.
                  I met you at the Coleman Theater in Miami, OK and knew you were excited
                  about your recent purchase. Then I met you and your husband in Tulsa at the their zone meet and saw the enthusiasm was still there. Good Luck on the project and hope to see you at the meeting on Beaver Lake next Sunday.
                  Jim C.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer
                    ...For $51 each how can you lose? For BRAND NEW 55 year old caps? A STEAL!
                    I used to feel lucky to get $.50 each for them (NOS)- nobody wanted "small hubcaps". Why do you think they called them "dog dishes"?

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                    Museum R-4 engine
                    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

They also do well as bird baths too, Paul. Hey - I'll bet you wish you had a boatload of those caps right now. Those along with a big box of 61 Lark taillight lenses too![:0][]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have a fresh coat of black paint on the wheels... they were red. Sorry!

Since it was originally a two-tone, I'm thinking of metallic gray with a white top. (Interior is already restored gray and white.)

Another update... finally got the glovebox open yesterday. Had an insurance card from 1987-88. I Googled and found contact info and made the call...

I was leaving a message on an answering machine about my fabulous 1956 Studebaker and the phone was picked right up! The history sounds VERY cool. The man who sold the car to the guy that I bought it from said:

His cousin bought it from the original owner, and he was told that it was a Professor at the University of Arkansas here in Fayetteville. His dad then bought it from his cousin as a gift for his sister (because Dad bought HIM a 51 chebby) and he restored it for her. He couldn't really remember the timeline. But his sister wasn't really interested in it so it sat more than it was driven. Then his sister moved out of state and it REALLY sat. The brakes went south and it wasn't licensed or insured so it only got driven around the property when his sister came to visit. Then they finally sold it to the guy I bought it from and he had it sitting in his carport for about a year.

And the nice man I just talked to actually saw me drive by him yesterday! He lives less than 2 miles from me so I'm sure he'll see it a lot.

I think it's really cool that it may have always lived in Fayetteville.

And although it's sad that the sister wasn't all that excited, it sounds like the dad really appreciated the car. The man told me that his dad would drive the Super Coop in parades and brag about how all the other cars would drop out one by one because they'd overheat in the stop-and-go traffic but the Studebaker never even got hot.

We finally looked at the OD last night 'cause it hasn't worked at all but we didn't have much time to work on it. Confirmed that the solenoid relay works. Now it freewheels at all speeds but OD still doesn't kick in. We're slowly waking her up.

~Rose

Fayetteville, AR

Comment

The complete history on the car is a real bonus! Good going and good luck with the Super Coop. A winner for sure [8D].

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                          X