BURIED TREASURE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BURIED TREASURE!

OK, as mentioned, I went back to this little repair/salvage yard to scope out what they have. First, let me apoligize to those with dial up. There are a lot of pictures. They are downsized to be reasonable and large enough to see detail.

On most of these cars, the serial number (S/N) and data plate were accessible, many were not or only one might be. Before the pictures of each car, I've included any information I could supply and optional equipment that I noticed. I'll say this about the engines. There is enough rust to obscure the engine number so I'm not sure if they are 259's or 289's. This is basically a 'pick your part' type of yard. If you are interested in anything you see, let me know. By the way, the sheet metal looks 10 times worse in person than they do in the pictures.

Now, without further adu...

1964 Daytona 4-Dr. - S/N: ? - 64V Y9 1919
    V8-2V, Auto, A/C, Clock, Std AM

1963 GT Hawk - S/N: 63V-1018 - 63V K6 106
    V8-2V, 4-Spd, Buckets, Push Button AM
    This car was supposed to be the display car at the Atlanta Auto Show

1963 Lark Custom - S/N: 63V-21311 - 63V Y6 2454
    V8-2V, Auto, A/C, Std. AM, Power Steering, Manual Brakes

1962 Lark Deluxe - S/N: 62S-2901 - 62S Y4 873
    OHV6, Auto, Manual Steering, Manual Brakes, Radio Delete

1964 Challenger 4-Dr. - S/N: ? - ?
    OHV6 (missing head), 3-Spd, Quad Headlights, Manual Brakes

1952 Commander State Hdtp. - S/N: 8269589 - 3H K2 12272
    V8-2V The trim looks as bad as it looks...Sorry Dan

1964 Daytona Hdtp. - S/N: ? - 64V J8 1186
    V8-2V, Auto, Reclining Buckets, Power Steering, Manual Drum Brakes, Dana 44

[img]http://i74.phot
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Thanks for the pics, Tom. Are you done? Because when I get home tomorrow night I won't be able to open this thread again[:I]

I can't believe the extent of the rust- much worse than even our NY carcasses[:0][B)][xx(][|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Swifster, don't know how much wandering time you have, or want, but-- I would love to find a complete jack for my '50. Base, 'bar'(?), mechanism, handle.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Bob, I'll check that '50 to see if the jack is still in thr truck next time I'm there.

And Bams, yes, I'm done .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

If the front suspension isn't too bad on the '52, you oughta snag the control arms for someone that might want to clone an R-3.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Tom,

Geez! Does it rain saltwater there??? The three pieces of chrome on that 55 would be worth the trouble to save. That stuff's getting rarer by the day. And even tho THAT grille center section may not be ready to bolt onto a Speedster, it IS the same exact part that ALL 55 Studes use. That AND the two side pieces NEED to be saved if possible. Hood and radiator might be worth taking if the guy wasn't gonna ding you too much.
            That 52 has door windows, quarter windows and vent wings that will work with the convertibles of 51 & 52. Get the mouldings along the tops of the doors inside and quarters inside.
            The 3 rear glass pieces have gotta be getting scarce and the rusty T-pieces at the top and bottom of each glass divider back there. In fact, everything to do with that rear glass ought to be saved.
            The grille chrome is surely shot, but the pot metal may be reworkable. Save that one HL bezel too![:I]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Tom is this the place between Mulberry and Brandon on the left? If so, is there still a goat running around out back that likes to climb on top of cars? If this is the same place, the guy who used to own the place when I was in high school, 20 years ago, had stories about just about every car and wanted way to much for every piece of rust he had. That part of a 64, easy restore and the guy would want 3 grand for the carcass. That Hawk sat out on hwy 60 for many years and the guy wanted 6 grand for it. I bought some parts for my old stude from him, and probably most of the cars I used to pick from are still there. I would probably get what I could get soon. I know here in Lakeland the EPA has really been on the junkyards. I have to think he cannot be far off.

Former owner/owner with Dad:
              58 Packard Golden Hawk
              62 Hawk
              62 Lark
              63 Lark
              64 Lark
              63 Champ
              Currently I own:
              84 Mercedes 380SL
              92 Range Rover (for sale)
              99 BMW 323I
              and helping a 16 year old rebuild an 86 Saab 900

Lakeland, FL

Comment

Dang that stuff is awful. I can't even imagine what it would take to get any of the body or trim parts off any of those cars.
                BTW, a neighbor has one of those Mercedes sedans in his driveway, but won't sell. He also has next to it, a 65 Mustang Fastback, 289 AT, but won't sell it either. He's saving them for his grandson, who is 11 or 12. The old guy smokes like a chimney and probably won't make to his grandsons next birthday, though. Too sad.

sals54
                sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Shawn

Tom is this the place between Mulberry and Brandon on the left? If so, is there still a goat running around out back that likes to climb on top of cars? If this is the same place, the guy who used to own the place when I was in high school, 20 years ago, had stories about just about every car and wanted way to much for every piece of rust he had. That part of a 64, easy restore and the guy would want 3 grand for the carcass. That Hawk sat out on hwy 60 for many years and the guy wanted 6 grand for it. I bought some parts for my old stude from him, and probably most of the cars I used to pick from are still there. I would probably get what I could get soon. I know here in Lakeland the EPA has really been on the junkyards. I have to think he cannot be far off.
                  Shawn, same place, and there's now a herd of goats . He's come down on that Hawk, but all I'd be interested in is the T-10. He's thinking the trans is worth almost $1000 [)]. I'll know how reasonable he's going to be my next time thru. I'm going for the A/C unit first. Any more than $50 and I'm out of there. That Mercedes has piqued my interest, so I'll ask about that too.

The guy is a good old boy who may think he's sitting on a good mine. Unfortunately, he's got the gleam in his eye for the scrapper. Of course he did say today that the Studes were off limit to the scrapper. I can afford to walk away knowing they'll still be there next month. That, and I'll negotiate hard if I get something just over reasonable.

I'd like that 4-speed, but I've heard there are a few in the area I can get from local members. The only good thing about that trans is that it's still attached and all the hardware would be there. There is somthing to be said for that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sals54

BTW, a neighbor has one of those Mercedes sedans in his driveway, but won't sell. He also has next to it, a 65 Mustang Fastback, 289 AT, but won't sell it either. He's saving them for his grandson, who is 11 or 12. The old guy smokes like a chimney and probably won't make to his grandsons next birthday, though. Too sad.
                    Sal, I ran across a '30 Ford 5W coupe with rumble street last week too. The old guy bought it to restore 10-15 years ago, and the car is slowly sinking into his from yard along with a '64 Falcon Sprint hardtop (6 cylinder). He won't sell. The only think is, I offered him money for the 'A' in front of his wife and her eyes and ears both perked up. I'm going to let him think about it before going back next month and talk to him again .

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Tom,
                      You ole' hounddog. That is about the best strategery you could possibly have used. You know dang well and good that she already has that money spent on some thing or another. Good luck on the return trip. I may have to employ a bit of skullduggery of my own. Maybe I could get HER to cut loose with it...........hee hee hee hee hee

sals54
                      sals54

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

1963 GT Hawk - S/N: 63V-1018 - 63V K6 106
                        V8-2V, 4-Spd, Buckets, Push Button AM
                        This car was supposed to be the display car at the Atlanta Auto Show
                        ]
                        Based on the very low body number (106), it seems very possible that this car could have been slated for a specific introductory car show.

The Production Order might provide verification.

Paul
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Tom, I can't express how much I appreciate all of those shots and the time to shoot and upload them for us. Much appreciated. The one with the tree roots/branches is priceless..should be on a TW cover. The 4 speeds & AC units should be worthy of grabbing and it was an education reading what was seen by the others that is slowly disappearing from the scarce parts market. Thanks again.

Comment

Is it possible for a group of you to make him an offer for all the studes so you can salvage what can be saved for future use? Seems a shame to let stuff rot if it can be salvaged.

John Clements
                            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                            Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
                            Lockleys South Australia
                            John Clements
                            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Looking at the condition of each of these cars, it's hard to think that at some time in the distant past, each was someone's pride and joy. Someone probably paid money down and payments for at least 3 years.

Someone washed and waxed and maintained each one of these cars. They drove it on trips and to work and showed it off to their friends. Maybe even did things in the back seat that can't be talked of on a family forum.

Then, eventually, traded it off like an old appliance. And, as we see, it eventually wound up there, in the graveyard of old dreams.

I'm sure that none of the original owners even had an inkling of what was to come. For the most part, were probably happy with their decisions and, if it's possible with an appliance, maybe even "loved" what is now a rusted, twisted shadow of its former self.

How did they end up there? Accident? Just worn out? Someone just got tired of it and said, "Come and get it"?

I wonder how many stories each could tell if they could talk, with their rusted throats. Frankly, I'd be afraid to go out there at night. I'd be afraid I'd HEAR them...chattering away, like a bunch of old sick people.

"Hey, a little paint and a few turns of a wrench and I'd be back on the road."

"Sure, and I could fly if I had wings!"

"Hey, will you guys stop complaining. At least you don't have wind whistling thru the rust-out on your fenders!"

"No, and you don't have a hood that looks like a Savador Dali sculpture, either!"

"YOU and your Salvador Dali hood. At least YOU have a carb! Yesterday, somebody took mine. AND my heater core! AND my water pump. And I heard them say if it wasn't so dark, they'd have taken my whole AC system! Will it never END? First thing you know, I'll be just a hulk, like that one over there with the tree growing up thru it."

"Ha! You're worried about your AC! Today, those vultures took my whole drivetrain. 'J ever have your HEART ripped out?"

"I did!"

"I did!"

"I did!"

"Hey, I still got my tranny!"

"Yeah--hangin' on by one bolt! Don't worry, they'll get that soon enough!"

"I think I hear the gate opening. Here come the vultures again. Good luck, guys!:

And on and on. As you can imagine, I never go into a junk, er--recycling yard after dark. Too many spirits in there. Too many "lives" that might clash with mine. Too many sad stories that might make me sad, too.

Nope, I know what's good for me. I get MY parts in the morning. When those guys are too tired and talked out to get me.

Think of that, next time YOU are in a junk yard.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X