It Lives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Lives!

What lives? How about a '64 Daytona hardtop, 259 automatic, manual steering, manual drum brakes? About as plain as a V8 Daytona can get, actually.

Got this car in Calgary on Thursday, for a very reasonable dollar. Hauled it home through a storm of mixed rain and snow. Woke up this morning to a bright sunshiny day, and got to work. Rolled it off the trailer, and had a look. Trailer, Daytona, and Suburban were all coated with mud from the nasty roads of the previous night. Got out the pressure washer. Then the dread "might as wells" kicked in. "If I'm going to fire up the pressure washer, might as well give the engine a shot of engine shampoo, and clean it up. Might as well pressure-wash the trunk. Might as well yard out the rotten old carpets, and pressure-wash the floor and see what's left of it. Might as well take the seats out so as to remove the carpets."

So I did all that. Suburban and trailer are clean. So is the Daytona, although the engine compartment needs major detailing. Why do people feel compelled to paint the engine room of a white car rattle-can black? This is the SECOND white Daytona I've acquired with this curious disease.

Wow! The floors are not really all that bad. No actual holes; some rust alright, but it hasn't gone too far. One pretty good hole in the left rear corner of the trunk, but not hard to fix that. This is really a solid car, for an Alberta car.

The "might as wells" haven't finished with me yet. Might as well see if the engine will run. Oops, no fuel pump. But there's a box of parts, and there's an NOS fuel pump. Well, it's an NOS fuel pump alright, but it's downside-up and bass-ackwards to a Stude fuel pump. Nowhere close to working. But the old Carter pump is there. Wash off the grease; work the arm by hand. Hmmm, seems to suck, seems to push. Found a gasket, and bolted it on and plumbed it in. Hooked up a temporary fuel tank, since the original tank, which was in the trunk, I passed on to another local chapter member who needed one.

Went to fill the temporary tank, and oh-oh, no gas in the gas cans, save for a couple of quarts of mix for the weed whacker and chainsaw. I gave the carb a shot of mix, and turned it over (having installed a good battery). No fire. Checked the points with a test light, and no points action. Removed the points, cleaned them with abrasive cloth, and re-installed. Hit the starter, and it ran a few seconds on the prime gas.

I drove to town, got 2 cans filled with gas, and bought some groceries. Came back, made supper, and then resumed work on the Daytona. Put a gallon or two in the temporary tank, and gave it another shot of prime. Hit the starter; it ran a few seconds and quit. Another shot of prime, and it ran, and stayed running, with the fuel pump sucking fuel just fine. In fact, the carb was dribbling fuel. Tightened the bushing on the fuel inlet, and I think that's fixed.

Had to install the drive shaft; former owner had removed it. Replaced the front seats, and topped up the master cylinder. Hit the starter, and it started instantly, no fuss about it. Put it in Drive, and it went ahead. Put it in Reverse, and it went back. Brakes are there, but dodgy. Driveway brakes, no better. Drove it up to the shop door, and aired up the leaky LF tire. Loaded a bunch of scrap wood in the trunk, because my neighbour was having a fire in the firepit, and sent his kids down to invite me up.

I didn't mention that I got no keys with this car. I dug out my box of miscellaneous keys, and wouldn't you know it, the very first Studebaker ignition key I laid hands on fit the ignition switch perfectly. Time to go buy a lottery ticket. I had a little trouble with the trunk lock, but did manage to find a key that works it with a little effort.

Drove it the quarter-mile up the road to the neighbours' place. This car could not get out of its way. Talk about a slug! But the reason is pretty obvious. The muffler is clogged with something. I could hear the his
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

What a great find. Good looking floors and engine compartment.
    Be CAREFUL taking off that muffler! ! ! You never know what kind of critter may be ready to jump at your throat when you get it out of there.

sals54
    sals54

Comment

Another good save, Gord!

I never know if most people enjoy posts like this or not, but I do mine to share experiences with my friends here- but mostly because I REALLY enjoy reading others' reports! Yours are always well-written, and I appreciate your efforts to post them.

Yours is one of the names that, when I see it on a post, I take extra notice to see what you wrote... especially when you start a thread[8D]

Thanks again for sharing this[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

On the car- That looks really good! The dash looks remarkably good, and other than the RF the interior panels even look decent! This one looks like it's brakes, exhaust, and fuel tank away mechanically; maybe some seat covers and a JP carpet set and you'd have a driver!

In your fleet, do you have any drivers you plan to put on the road this year?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Originally posted by bams50
          I never know if most people enjoy posts like this or not

I thoroughly enjoy reading someones episode like this. I find myself getting caught up in the posting.
          Gord you had me a bit worried when you ran for groceries and made supper. thought you wouldn't find your way back to the shop. You had me on the edge of my seat as to whether she was going to run or not.

Great read Gord and congratulations.

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
          ~Nitram~
          57 Transtar
          Lancaster, PA

Comment

I LOVE these posts!! Let's me live vicariously through ya'll. Now that my Champion is a decent driver, it is my dream to find my dream car and do a full restoration. May not ever happen, but posts like this give me hope.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Great find and great story!
              I think the Canadian-built cars were less rust prone than the SB counterparts (white steering wheel is unique to Hamilton cars). When I picked up my '64 Daytona at Hamilton the man giving me a plant tour took great pride in showing me how they dipped the bodies in an aluminizing solution before painting (not done in SB).
              Re the black paint in the engine compartment- it probably had the same crummy paint job in the engine compartment that mine did. I certainly wouldn't do it now, but I sprayed mine with black undercoating to cover the unpainted areas (at least the SB cars were completely painted in the engine compartment).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
              Museum R-4 engine
              1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
              1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

This kind of post inspires me to get outside and work on the Daytona. Finally got my new parking brake cable hooked up to the new rear brakes and managed to drive and stop a little for the first time. Big step!

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Good find, Gord! Looks like one to save, for sure. I've been thinking about seeing if that Wagonaire I just got will run. The only history I know about it is that it's been in this valley since new. That and that it was retired from the road in the mid-70s.
                  I only checked just yesterday, but the thing sports a 289 as well as the afroementioned 4-speed. And while it's stuck, I may be able to break it loose with some soaking and elbow grease. I'll pull the plugs and pour in some penetrant today. You've inspired me a bit to see what I can do!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Good luck on that, Biggs- you know I'm rootin' for the old wagon[:X]

Is that a factory 4-speed, or did someone convert it?

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Nice, Gord! [^] Congratulations!!

Great story (as usual).

Well done!

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Is that a factory 4-speed, or did someone convert it?

I visited Bob on Wednesday and checked out the wagon. Very nicely equipped FACTORY 4 speed car. I can't imagine many 4 speed Daytona wagons were produced in '63. A rare car for sure.

Also, the pictures Bob posted don't do this car justice. Quite straight and with essentially no rust. It SHOULD be brought back.

Bob told me the story about the '63 Daytona Hardtop I bought from him. Essentially a crunched hulk with all the trim and other valuable parts lost in a fire after the car was disassembled for restoration. Certainly a candidate for the crusher. Bob bought the car, had BEAUTIFUL body and paint work done to it, and gathered all the missing parts (many NOS). I'll finish putting it together after he did all the hard work. If this Daytona Hardtop could be saved, the much rarer wagon can be too...and MUCH easier.

Here's a reminder picture of the current condition of the hardtop...

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Nice ride Gordr. I also like these kinds of posts. I think getting a new Stude that has sat for many years are the funnest. What always gets me going is finding out why it was parked in the first place. Some of my parts cars I've bought through the years turned into great daily drivers.[]

Gordon

Comment

Great story...thanks for sharing and most of all, thanks for saving the car.

If we don't do it now, who will?
                            Or else in 50 years everyone will think the only Studes ever made were various R2s, Hawks, C/Ks, bulletnoses, Avantis...

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Dick, you got any pics of that wagon??

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X