Firewall (dash) liners OEM-like or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewall (dash) liners OEM-like or not

Has anyone gotten a firewall liner from Ernie Loga or Studebaker Int'l and if so, are they OEM-like? I mean is the side to the firewall heavy tar paper with the thick Jute insulation and the inside a "grained" heavy cardboard. Also has anyone tried putting one of these in with tehdash and steering column in place? As ya'll can probably tell I just recently pulled my old original one out (in 3 pieces). Thanks,

Don

The repros are the proper material and finish with improved insulation. To install it without unbolting the column from the dash, you would need to cut a slot in the liner. It's not difficult to unbolt the column and drop it enough to slip the liner over it but you also need to remove the steering wheel. Conversely, you can unbolt the column and disconnect it at the steering box.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Radsman

Has anyone gotten a firewall liner from Ernie Loga or Studebaker Int'l and if so, are they OEM-like? I mean is the side to the firewall heavy tar paper with the thick Jute insulation and the inside a "grained" heavy cardboard. Also has anyone tried putting one of these in with tehdash and steering column in place? As ya'll can probably tell I just recently pulled my old original one out (in 3 pieces). Thanks,

Don

I have one I purchases from him last summer. It was the second one I have purchased from Ernie. It is not heavy tar paper in the rear, but does have insulation on the firewall side. Mine was not "grained" on the front either, but is thick black cardboard. Mine was for a 1960 Lark. It DOES have a split for the column so it will go right in, but I installed it before the column went back in mine. My biggest problem was getting the holes lined up for the many push snaps and finding those holes through the liner. I used an ice pick type tool to find the holes and tapped them in with a hardwood dowel and a hammer. I didn't care about the grain because I covered the kick panels and the firewall liner with the same grained leather as my interior. Ernie is a great guy and will answer any questions you may have. Others may sell those too, though. I got a carpet set from him as well, but by the time I installed it is was too late to find that I was sent a manual shift front carpet with an extra cut for the pedals...

Comment

Working...
      X