This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker ID help?............

Sorry for my first post being a what kind of "Stude" do I have in the shop........but, could anyone ID this Studebaker? I found this car in southeast Kansas and drug the ole' gal home to the shop for a project car and getting it back on the road. It has the V8 motor in her and everything looks pretty solid other than bodywork, but that is the easy part. I have the numbers off of it: the door tag on the drivers door has: 7155741, but it looks like there is a "6" stamped below the first seven (mistake?). On the motor it has: 535601 as the cast engine ID. On the cowl it has a body plate with the numbers: 6HKS then 1042 below that number. It also has "President" on the side right behind the doors on both sides of the ole' gal.

If anyone could ID this car that would be great. I can take more pix for you also, if needed.

Thanks,
    Chris Nelson
    Kansas

A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch

Well I guess that did not work for posting pix........the pix are on Photobucket.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v473/sodbuster/

Thanks again,
    Chris Nelson
    Kansas

Comment

Well I guess that did not work for posting pix........the pix are on Photobucket.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v473/sodbuster/

Thanks again,
      Chris Nelson
      Kansas

Comment

The "K5" is a President coupe. Now a comment that may get me tossed out of the Studebaker club. Think long and hard about restoring the car based on it's condition. Yes, it is possible but the car is barely a parts car. If you decide to do it, I guess you could buy a solid donor coupe for 3-4K and move everything over, but you could buy 2-3 nice ones for your investment in saving this one.

Studebaker On The Net
        http://stude.com
        Studebaker News Group
        http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
        Arnold Md.
        64 Daytona HT
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 Avanti R1/AC
        63 Lark 2 dr.
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark convert
        60 Hawk
        59 3E Truck
        56 truck
        55 Starlight
        53 Starlight
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        JDP Maryland

Comment

The "K5" is a President coupe. Now a comment that may get me tossed out of the Studebaker club. Think long and hard about restoring the car based on it's condition. Yes, it is possible but the car is barely a parts car. If you decide to do it, I guess you could buy a solid donor coupe for 3-4K and move everything over, but you could buy 2-3 nice ones for your investment in saving this one.

Studebaker On The Net
          http://stude.com
          Studebaker News Group
          http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
          Arnold Md.
          64 Daytona HT
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          63 Avanti R1/AC
          63 Lark 2 dr.
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark convert
          60 Hawk
          59 3E Truck
          56 truck
          55 Starlight
          53 Starlight
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          JDP Maryland

Comment

You have a '55 Speedster, top of the line car for that year. Fairly rare and if you can resurrect that gal, you'll have something. Orginally had a 259 ci in it. You say the body work is the easy part? No offense intended whatsoever, but you must be a much better body man than I but much less adept mechanically. I'll take a good body and bad engine any time over the reverse. Don't know how complete it is, but if you ever need an orginal speedo and tach for it, I have them. Good luck and hang in there!

Comment

You have a '55 Speedster, top of the line car for that year. Fairly rare and if you can resurrect that gal, you'll have something. Orginally had a 259 ci in it. You say the body work is the easy part? No offense intended whatsoever, but you must be a much better body man than I but much less adept mechanically. I'll take a good body and bad engine any time over the reverse. Don't know how complete it is, but if you ever need an orginal speedo and tach for it, I have them. Good luck and hang in there!

Comment

Thanks for the info.......the thing that is kinda' funny the roof is not the best but a hammer and dolly and torch and it could be straight to original......with slow progress......I have never tried the lead shaping thing, but the wifes dad was an ole' lead man back in the late 50's and he still has the "Shoe horns" that he told me that I could have.

Chris Nelson
                Kansas

Oh yea, I am just a 30ish kid with an open mind and a perfectionist

Comment

Thanks for the info.......the thing that is kinda' funny the roof is not the best but a hammer and dolly and torch and it could be straight to original......with slow progress......I have never tried the lead shaping thing, but the wifes dad was an ole' lead man back in the late 50's and he still has the "Shoe horns" that he told me that I could have.

Chris Nelson
                  Kansas

Oh yea, I am just a 30ish kid with an open mind and a perfectionist

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John Kirchhoff

That may be a President hardtop but it doesn't look like a Speedster (K7) to me. It has a short hood ornament, no roof band and the butterknife side trim has no Speedster ornaments or holes for them. Even in parts car condition the Speedster has greater value because of the fiberglas dash, tach and 160mph speedometer.

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader
                    sigpic
                    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John Kirchhoff

That may be a President hardtop but it doesn't look like a Speedster (K7) to me. It has a short hood ornament, no roof band and the butterknife side trim has no Speedster ornaments or holes for them. Even in parts car condition the Speedster has greater value because of the fiberglas dash, tach and 160mph speedometer.

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader
                      sigpic
                      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

I agree, it looks to be a President HT, not a Speedster. Even so, it's one sweet car when it's done!!!

Comment

I agree, it looks to be a President HT, not a Speedster. Even so, it's one sweet car when it's done!!!

Comment

I think Lark and John are correct. The body tag you posted is probably really 6H-K5 (not "S"). This crosses to a 1955 President hardtop. Not a Speedster, but still a relatively rare and beautiful car.

Restoring old cars for most is a labor of love. If you've got the time, talent, and money, and enjoy this type of work, you will end up with something special. Keep in mind that it will take A LOT of time, talent and money to do this one. There are more abandoned projects out there than completed ones. Evaluate what you have there. Have some experienced friends help you. Put a pencil to the hours and money needed to buy, rebuild and/or refurbish mechanical parts. Find missing parts and buy them. Body work, interior, chrome plating, etc. Keep in mind that even if you do most of the work yourself, you will have more money invested in the car than it will be worth. If it still makes sense, go for it! Hang out here and this crew will help you with any problems you might encounter.

It's a lot of fun and satisfaction. Just know what you're getting in to.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think Lark and John are correct. The body tag you posted is probably really 6H-K5 (not "S"). This crosses to a 1955 President hardtop. Not a Speedster, but still a relatively rare and beautiful car.

Restoring old cars for most is a labor of love. If you've got the time, talent, and money, and enjoy this type of work, you will end up with something special. Keep in mind that it will take A LOT of time, talent and money to do this one. There are more abandoned projects out there than completed ones. Evaluate what you have there. Have some experienced friends help you. Put a pencil to the hours and money needed to buy, rebuild and/or refurbish mechanical parts. Find missing parts and buy them. Body work, interior, chrome plating, etc. Keep in mind that even if you do most of the work yourself, you will have more money invested in the car than it will be worth. If it still makes sense, go for it! Hang out here and this crew will help you with any problems you might encounter.

It's a lot of fun and satisfaction. Just know what you're getting in to.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X