This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Bed made into trailer

I have an old trailer that my husband's grandparents used to hall all of their gardening materials around in. We started looking closely at it and saw that it is the bed of a Studebaker. It has always just sat outside in the elements. It is real rusted. I don't know if we should just take it to the dump, or if it would be useful for someone. If you think someone would be interested in such a thing, how do you know what it is worth?

If the bed itself is badly rusted, it may not be worth saving. Are the fenders also badly rusted? Is the tailgate intact? Depending on the model, the axle under the bed might be worth something. Even if most of the trailer is too far gone, some parts might help to keep a Studebaker truck on the road. Where are you? What are the dimensions of the bed?
    Skip Lackie

Comment

If the bed itself is badly rusted, it may not be worth saving. Are the fenders also badly rusted? Is the tailgate intact? Depending on the model, the axle under the bed might be worth something. Even if most of the trailer is too far gone, some parts might help to keep a Studebaker truck on the road. Where are you? What are the dimensions of the bed?
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I think we'd need pictures and location to help.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think we'd need pictures and location to help.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have a trailer made out of a 49 Studebaker truck. It is not much to look at, but I think would be worth $400 - 500 to someone. It is worth at least that much to me. If the wheels turn on your trailer and the frame is not too rusty, someone would want it. Mine has a straight trailer axel instead of the truck third member axel which makes it lighter and more manuverable.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I have a trailer made out of a 49 Studebaker truck. It is not much to look at, but I think would be worth $400 - 500 to someone. It is worth at least that much to me. If the wheels turn on your trailer and the frame is not too rusty, someone would want it. Mine has a straight trailer axel instead of the truck third member axel which makes it lighter and more manuverable.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Anywhere from $0 to $500, depending......
                Depending on:
                A) Where it is.
                B) Will it roll?
                C) How bad is the rust?
                D) How good are the attached pieces?
                E) How bad do you want to get rid of it.

Do you have a digital picture of it?
                You can send it to a forum member here, and we will gladly post it to help you find a good home for it.

Recently, I saw a fair Ccab (a mid fifties Studebaker model pickup) trailer, that had good tires and could be towed home, sell for $300.
                It had 2 decent rear fenders, the front panel was good, the box floor was so-so, and the tailgate was banged up bad.
                Big question you will be getting is "Where is it?"
                Driving a thousand miles to get a $300 trailer isn't worth the gas money.
                Hope the info helps.
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by kingham

I have an old trailer that my husband's grandparents used to hall all of their gardening materials around in. We started looking closely at it and saw that it is the bed of a Studebaker. It has always just sat outside in the elements. It is real rusted. I don't know if we should just take it to the dump, or if it would be useful for someone. If you think someone would be interested in such a thing, how do you know what it is worth?

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                Brooklet, Georgia
                '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                '61 Hawk (project)
                http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Anywhere from $0 to $500, depending......
                  Depending on:
                  A) Where it is.
                  B) Will it roll?
                  C) How bad is the rust?
                  D) How good are the attached pieces?
                  E) How bad do you want to get rid of it.

Do you have a digital picture of it?
                  You can send it to a forum member here, and we will gladly post it to help you find a good home for it.

Recently, I saw a fair Ccab (a mid fifties Studebaker model pickup) trailer, that had good tires and could be towed home, sell for $300.
                  It had 2 decent rear fenders, the front panel was good, the box floor was so-so, and the tailgate was banged up bad.
                  Big question you will be getting is "Where is it?"
                  Driving a thousand miles to get a $300 trailer isn't worth the gas money.
                  Hope the info helps.
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by kingham

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                  Brooklet, Georgia
                  '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                  '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                  '61 Hawk (project)
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

I have a trailer made out of a 49 Studebaker truck.
                    Leonard,

Your county sticker has expired!

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

I have a trailer made out of a 49 Studebaker truck.
                      Leonard,

Your county sticker has expired!

Gary

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Comment

Thanks, Officer Hearn! The county sent me a new sicker, but not the plastic cover that you need to use it on the side of the trailer. I called them and they sent me the plastic cover, but by the time I got it, I had lost the sticker. I have been to the county dump with it about 25 times and they have never noticed that the sticker is a year old.

Comment

Thanks, Officer Hearn! The county sent me a new sicker, but not the plastic cover that you need to use it on the side of the trailer. I called them and they sent me the plastic cover, but by the time I got it, I had lost the sticker. I have been to the county dump with it about 25 times and they have never noticed that the sticker is a year old.

Comment

Every trailer sticker I had came with the adhesive on the back side for mounting to frame as opposed to the vehicle stickers that stick from the front side.

Comment

Every trailer sticker I had came with the adhesive on the back side for mounting to frame as opposed to the vehicle stickers that stick from the front side.

Comment

Working...
                              X