No announcement yet.

Towing a 62 Champ Truck with 2007 Tacoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i haven't done any elaborate math, but the trailer and full tank of gas was a combined $160. And i actually only used 1/4 tank in my tacoma to go 130 miles. I was actually kind of impressed by that mpg. i Averaged around 60mph and kept the truck in 4th, downshifted to 3rd when going up steep hills. But in florida there aren't alot of steep inclines. It was going to cost a little over $400 to use Penske, to use there truck and trailer. I'm sure one of those transport services would have been more then that.

Comment

Well, while the topic is still hot ,I notice how much of the truck bed is beyond the trailer. I'm looking for a trailer myself , and as I have a very small backyard to store it and a tight turn in to back it into ,the shorter the trailer the better for me. It's to move a 53 coupe when I need to. Since the cars W.B. is 10', and the overall length is 17'and it looks like 3 1/2 0r 4' of rear hang over is do-able,it looks like a 13 or 14' trailer would do. What thinkest the group?
      Bill H
      Daytona Beach
      SDC member since 1970
      Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

the WB on the champ was 120" and this trailer was 12ft i think. so 12-14 should be plenty enough i would think

Comment

The problem with going with a short trailer is that you do not have the option of moving the vehicle forward or aft in order to balance the load on the trailer. You will find that each vehicle is different based on the front to rear weight ratio and it is important to have the proper weight distribution on the tow vehicle. In towing vehicles more is often better....

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Guido's post above this one segways perfectly into the only comment I wanted to make. It looks like the pickup is just a tad low in the backend compared to the front. Probably ok, but maybe 100 or 200 pounds too much tongue weight. A longer trailer would have let you back up the Champ a few inches to raise the Tacoma's rear end and give better stability on the front end. But just a tad IMHO.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

First chance I had to look at the trailer. One disadvantage to a short trailer is the fact that you are limited in how you can tie the truck off. I would be interested in seeing how you had it secured.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

The 1500 is a much better idea. Are you Roy and Dellas son? If so, I could likely help you. If so, call me at 352-213-3643. Stephen Cade

Stephen Cade

Comment

i had the 2 tire straps in front which were in there pretty darn tight. There was a security chain below the trailer toward the back when i didn't give much room for movement if the truck did get loose from the wheel tie-downs. I also had the truck in park with the hill break on. i was going to add one more tie down in the front just for extra security but my strap was all tangled and pissed me off

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stephen cade

The 1500 is a much better idea. Are you Roy and Dellas son? If so, I could likely help you. If so, call me at 352-213-3643. Stephen Cade

Stephen Cade
                    hey again stephen, i just replied to your post in my other topic. I ended up using my truck last weekend, worked out well. Only used 1/4 tank from homosassa to clearwater and it handled well.

Comment

Working...
                    X