Yet another one to "save"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another one to "save"

Friend called me about a week ago - said he was forced to strip what he wanted from a 63 Wagonaire he'd been holding for years. Some "do-gooder" brought the car's inactive status to the city's weenie dept and they wrote him up on the car. It was missing nothing, but was dust-covered and the tags were out of date, so they gave him 10 days to make it disappear.
    Anyway, I missed being there last weekend and called him Friday to see if it had already been reduced to parts or was gone altogether. Busy guy that he is, he hadn't done much to it so I went overt there this morning to see what I might scavenge that he didn't want.
    The tailgate was stuck in the up position, but I managed to get it lowered and gutted it of it's electric window and such. Then I took some interior pieces and the radiator. The rest (including factory 4-spd, disc brakes, engine and almost everything else) he was gonna keep. Thing is, by the time I got home a bit later, the phone was ringing and it was my friend telling me that it was too hot and he'd decided he just wasn't up to wrestling with the drivetrain from the car. He said, "How about I just have it hauled to your place and you save what you want off of it?"
    Well, heck.... for a 4-spd setup and disc brakes....... I know what I'll be doin' tomorrow.[:I]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Good catch Bob! We can all use friends like that. [^]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Gosh I just have a problem with the weinie Department. Code enforce this is what I want to say. I just want to find out where they live and pick apart their house and yard. Catch them with their trash cans out after 6pm on trash day. Would be nice to post their pictures instead. Ok I just got started but I will behave. I will behave. Have to repeat that to myself.

Mabel 1949 Champion
      1957 Silverhawk
      1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      1955 President State
      Fresno,Ca
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

I hear you, Anne. I had my own run-in with Code Enforcement last year, and while the officer was nice, it still made me do some stuff I hadn't planned during the hottest days of the year.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard
        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
        www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Well Anne, I couldn't agree more. I've told this here before, but after my first go-round with the zoning boys some years ago, one of them came by one day on a personal note... Wanting to secure parts for a 63 Regal 4-dr he was fixing up! [B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Dang, a factory 4-speed Wagonaire... that'd be a great one to have[V]

Oh well, these things happen.........

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

I have had my run in with the Bown Shirt Nazis from code enforcement as well. I lost about $3500 in the process of dealing with those....... people. Clear enough as to how I feel about them?
              sals54

Comment

You could always emigrate to Australia, we don't seem to have these types of folks yet. Americans always welcome. More Studebaker's especially welcome.

John Clements
                Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
                Lockleys South Australia
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman

Gosh I just have a problem with the weinie Department. Code enforce this is what I want to say. I just want to find out where they live and pick apart their house and yard. Catch them with their trash cans out after 6pm on trash day. Would be nice to post their pictures instead. Ok I just got started but I will behave. I will behave. Have to repeat that to myself.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                  1957 Silverhawk
                  1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  1955 President State
                  Fresno,Ca
                  When a similar incident happened with me I asked who had filed the complaint. Of course they couldn't/wouldn't tell me. What a way to get even with somebody. Report them for something, not having to be identified. I think I have solved part of that problem by moving out of town, but I am afraid that "progress" may follow me.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

There is also the "proactive" approach. Our small city started to be a popular place for "estates" a million and up. Volunteed for the zoning board and later served on city council. As a result our little enclave was able to get rezoned to a special district that is now exempt from many of the new rules for the "upscale" part of town. Virtually anything "behind the house" is OK.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
                    "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by oldguy829

There is also the "proactive" approach. Our small city started to be a popular place for "estates" a million and up. Volunteered for the zoning board and later served on city council...
                      I like your approach to the problem. Much better than just being a "victim". [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I had to clean up my Lark parts cars when my parents acreage fell into the three mile buffer of Lincoln, NE a few years ago. had to give away or scrap some Champ and Lark items. Now through annexations the city limits are the other side of their north fence.

Just recently a neighborhood do gooder went after my mother's rusty 1980 Buick because someone noticed (drove 50-100 feet into my parent's yard)that the license had expired and it looked "bad" My parents got a visit from a county sheriff telling them they had 21 days to dispose or license it. My Mom being an old Army retiree(imagine being raised by a real drill sargent)didn't like that a neighbor went on her property and (via law enforcement) was telling her what she could do on her property...

Mom did buy new tags and she parked the car in an obvious place. The car still looks bad but the county got their money and the nosey neighbor can look at the buick all that they want. Mom will get rid of the car in her time, not before.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
                        The Replacements.
                        \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                        The Replacements.

Comment

Good for your mom, Jeff! When they jumped me some years ago, I found out that getting them judged as legal to keep meant that they had to start by whatever means it took and be able to drag themselves 10 feet. Didn't even have to have a BODY or anything. Tire's could be rotting off the wheels, so long as they'd wobble their way 10 feet.
                          When I realized that, I made it known that as each one was certified a keeper - I was gonna park them right along the drive where my neighbors could monitor them easier - easier than trespassing in the walnut grove behind our place to get a glimpse of them.[}] I never heard from the county again.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President two door

Comment

Biggs..... I'll buy the yoke between the steering wheel and the column . need it for my wagonaire that I've install a 4 sp. Thanks

Ebon...

Comment

Heck, I'd love to have the whole 4 speed setup. []

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X