Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom, the best easy fix is to buy the copper Dorman plugs that go in easily and then you use a wrench to tighten the dome nut that's on them. Not talking the rubber expansion kind - these are all metal. I really like them. Fairborn Studebaker and probably other vendors carry them and you could quite possibly order them from a local auto parts place as well.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Tom, the best easy fix is to buy the copper Dorman plugs that go in easily and then you use a wrench to tighten the dome nut that's on them. Not talking the rubber expansion kind - these are all metal. I really like them. Fairborn Studebaker and probably other vendors carry them and you could quite possibly order them from a local auto parts place as well.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ah, you just have to love that wonderful rumble of a Stude V8. Unlike any other!!! [8D]

BTW, this video looks like it would be a great way to sell a car on ebay.

Comment

Ah, you just have to love that wonderful rumble of a Stude V8. Unlike any other!!! [8D]

BTW, this video looks like it would be a great way to sell a car on ebay.

Comment

Well, we lucked out. Although there was a little water when I dropped the oil yesterday, I think we're in good shape - at least based on the way it is running and the look of the new oil. New freeze plugs and we're ready to tear up the road again.

Tom
            Three Rivers, CA
            1955 Commander 4 dr
            Tom
            Three Rivers, CA
            1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

Well, we lucked out. Although there was a little water when I dropped the oil yesterday, I think we're in good shape - at least based on the way it is running and the look of the new oil. New freeze plugs and we're ready to tear up the road again.

Tom
              Three Rivers, CA
              1955 Commander 4 dr
              Tom
              Three Rivers, CA
              1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

Tom,

Forgive me, but I'm trying to figure how any coolant could have gotten in the oil due to leaking freeze plugs.[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Tom,

Forgive me, but I'm trying to figure how any coolant could have gotten in the oil due to leaking freeze plugs.[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Problem related to engine getting really hot?

Tom
                    Three Rivers, CA
                    1955 Commander 4 dr
                    Tom
                    Three Rivers, CA
                    1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

Problem related to engine getting really hot?

Tom
                      Three Rivers, CA
                      1955 Commander 4 dr
                      Tom
                      Three Rivers, CA
                      1955 Commander 4 dr

Comment

Overheating an engine often blows out the head gaskets. If there is water in the oil I would at least pull the heads to replace the gaskets, and check the combustion chambers for cracks.
                        David

Comment

Overheating an engine often blows out the head gaskets. If there is water in the oil I would at least pull the heads to replace the gaskets, and check the combustion chambers for cracks.
                          David

Comment

Yeah Tom... if you found "only a little bit of water", you'd better keep a close eye on that thing. If you've got coolant leaking into the oil, the oil should start to show a creamy brown hue to it.

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Yeah Tom... if you found "only a little bit of water", you'd better keep a close eye on that thing. If you've got coolant leaking into the oil, the oil should start to show a creamy brown hue to it.

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X