No announcement yet.

Hit with an ugly stick! eBay Custom Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am thinking that the whole front grill and bumper area could be "cut back", so to speak. so the headlights lead out front. So, if the bumper was recessed closer to the front wheels and maybe a Ferrari type grill (as in a 250 GT California), like the Ferris Beuler car, tucked underneath like an Avanti...... I don't know....... maybe nothing can save the front end. The rest, though, is still intriguing to me.
    sals54

Comment

I have seen this body in some magazine over the years, can't place it right this second. But it looks like some one has re done an old custom. Doesn't sit right on my pallet either.

Comment

A radical custom is not supposed to look like the car it was made from. That's the point of a radical custom.

Radical customs are a different segment of the old car hobby than the Studebaker restoration segment. Believe it or not, the guys doing radical customs are probably having just as much fun as we are

Piling on a thread about how ugly a radical custom is that was made from a Studebaker on a Studebaker forum is a pretty safe bet. Sort of like if someone posted a picture of a turd and we all jumped in on how ugly and smelly it is.[xx(]

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick observes: "A radical custom is not supposed to look like the car it was made from. That's the point of a radical custom."

How RIGHT you are, Dick! This thing is drop dead gorgeous! If Bob Bourke had been given truly full reign with his pen and clay tools - THIS is what the result would've looked like!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Piling on a thread about how ugly a radical custom is that was made from a Studebaker on a Studebaker forum is a pretty safe bet.
            Perhaps the builder achieved his vision, Dick - but I'll bet even custom folks might not care for this one.
            I [u]love</u> customs and other modded cars, as long as they are pleasing to the eye.
            This one doesn't please me.

Chris Pile
            Midway Chapter SDC
            The Studebaker Special
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
              when you end up with something that mimics a '49 Merc, why the hell didn't you just ruin a Merc to start with???[xx(]

Doesn't look like a '49 Merc to me...

...and of course, if it WAS built out of a '49 Merc, all the guys over at the Mercury forum would be piling on a thread about what a travesty it is to cut up a beautiful old Mercury [:0]

Hey, I don't like it either, but even if we have 100 more pile on this thread, it probably won't bring the car back to stock and probably won't do away with the radical custom portion of the hobby.

(now where's that picture of the turd? )

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Nearly every day SDCers recommend scrapping or parting out an irreplaceable Studebaker (once one is gone, it's never coming back).

Others are sent to the scrapper because no one here wanted to take them on as a projects...the most frequently heard response is..."no space" or "It's on the wrong side of the state/country", so another car goes to China.

Given that level of pragmatism/common sense, it's a bit disingenuous to hear guys complaining about "ruining" a Stude when they don't know what shape it was in to begin with.
                For all we know it started out as a car no one here wanted to bother saving.

The old car hobby is going to come under increased attack in the not too distant future because of pollution and fuel laws. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to hear the green folks screaming to get us out of polluting old cars...and wasting gas/causing pollution when we could be using mass transit.

We better adopt a "big tent" philosophy and "hang together" before the battle...or shirley we'll "all hang separately".

So let's try to make somewhat nice to other folks and their part in this hobby.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

And we wonder why true custom guys never hang around this forum...
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I think Dick may have said it without knowing it. I will agree, It looks like a turd.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I grew up in the radical custom era. Even radil customs don't suppost to look like turds.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

As with ANY customization the more you deviate from original, the fewer people there are who will like it. I don't like it at all, but there are probably people who would love to have it.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I will refrain from commenting other than to note that on my monitor the windshield appears to be comprised of 2 pieces of glass V butted in the middle. Whether you like it or not, at least it was one project seen through to fruition. The overwhelming majority never make it this far. As Gord Richmond once observed, "Vast dreams cannot be realized if you have but half-vast abilities."

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

A Face only its Mother could Love

Mabel 1949 Champion
                            1957 Silverhawk
                            1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                            Gus 1958 Transtar
                            1955 President State
                            Fresno,Ca
                            Mabel 1949 Champion
                            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                            Gus 1958 Transtar
                            The Prez 1955 President State
                            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                            Fresno,Ca

Comment

You may be right Ann. Only the one that built it could love it.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

the old saying is theres a seat for every (A--) may not think it is great but someone did

27 commander 47 M5 50 2dr 51 conv. 50 starlite 37 coupe express

Comment

Working...
                                X