This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Champion .....first long drive

I replaced the coil with one ordered from NAPA (in stock in Vancouver) that seemed to cure the hot starting problems. I haven't fabbed up a heat shield yet, although I have a piece of aluminum sitting on the workbench...

The car was running and starting well.... so on Saturday 14th, I made a trip to Prince George, BC. a 240 mile round trip. Every Saturday morning, members of various car clubs, antique and hot rod, meet for breakfast. I decided to drive the car down south, meet some people and show it off!

To be there at 8, I started at 5:30am to give myself a little extra time.... pitch black out... went to kick it into high beam and.... whoa! total black out!!! hit the button aagain and light came back on... slowed down and experimented a bit.... yup! seem like the high beam switch was acting up.... oh well... I'll make the drive on low beams... I drove a little slower... about 45-55mph.... moose and deer on the road around here...

Car performed flawlessly... over drive works well... I still have to get used to no engine compression when I let my foot off the gas...

Got to the restaraunt about 10 after 8, met a bunch of new friends and had a good time....

Trip home was uneventful... other than the #%@# vacuum wipers.... there was a spot of rain here and there... I had forgotten about vacuum wipers over the years.... and in overdrive, with the rpm dropping off quickly.... gave me even less wiper capability.... oh well... I have a spare 6volt heater motor... maybe I'll try rig up a little vacuum pump or something....

During daylight hours on the trip home, I maintained an average speed of 60 miles per hour.... I was going to wind it up, and see what she would do, but the tires are a little older so when I hit 70, I chickened out and kept the speed down.... after I settled in, the trip got a little boring... no AM radio around here.... can I rig up a 6v FM radio? hmmmm.... 6v Satellite radio?

when I got home, I told my wife that with a new set of tires, I would take this car anywhere!!!

all in all, a great Studebaker day!

oh yeah.... It snowed on Tuesday morning.... with the skinnyl ittle summer tires on this car, I won't be going anywhere until spring!

Cheers!
    Bob

'50 Champion Starlight
    '71 Swiss 404 Unimog

Sounds like a fun venture, Bob! You COULD look around for a dual action fuel pump. This sports a second diaphragm that supplement's the engine's vacuum to keep the wipers going. And there WAS an electric vacuum pump you could add as well!
    The 50 and earlier cars have those danged cable-drive wipers that make it tough to convert to electric drive. 51 and later were easy to convert.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sounds like a fun venture, Bob! You COULD look around for a dual action fuel pump. This sports a second diaphragm that supplement's the engine's vacuum to keep the wipers going. And there WAS an electric vacuum pump you could add as well!
      The 50 and earlier cars have those danged cable-drive wipers that make it tough to convert to electric drive. 51 and later were easy to convert.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

My first trip in my 48 Stude. was the day I bought it. About a hundred miles from home. It was quite an adventure. In my haste to get there and buy the car I didn't bring nearly as many things with me to help in case of problems. But my wife and I made it and now we look back and laugh about it! I love my Studebaker today!!!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

My first trip in my 48 Stude. was the day I bought it. About a hundred miles from home. It was quite an adventure. In my haste to get there and buy the car I didn't bring nearly as many things with me to help in case of problems. But my wife and I made it and now we look back and laugh about it! I love my Studebaker today!!!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Bob, don't underestimate the slick road capabilities of the '50 Champion. My dad bought one new and even in the days of bias ply tires (no such thing as even bias belted back then)it would go all kinds of places. One snow drift he couldn't get through (but was able to back out of) left the imprint of the bumper and bullet in it. Absolute truth, he wanted to see just what it took to stop that car. He pulled 80 bushel wagon loads of corn to town with it (that was close to 5,500 pounds gross)as well as hay wagons in the hay field. He drove 104 miles a day to work and never missed a day of work because of weather even when other cars were off the road because of ice. However, the '60 Lark 6 cylinder (also with overdrive) never was as good on ice and snow, so it must have had something to do with balance and weight distribution.

Comment

Bob, don't underestimate the slick road capabilities of the '50 Champion. My dad bought one new and even in the days of bias ply tires (no such thing as even bias belted back then)it would go all kinds of places. One snow drift he couldn't get through (but was able to back out of) left the imprint of the bumper and bullet in it. Absolute truth, he wanted to see just what it took to stop that car. He pulled 80 bushel wagon loads of corn to town with it (that was close to 5,500 pounds gross)as well as hay wagons in the hay field. He drove 104 miles a day to work and never missed a day of work because of weather even when other cars were off the road because of ice. However, the '60 Lark 6 cylinder (also with overdrive) never was as good on ice and snow, so it must have had something to do with balance and weight distribution.

Comment

Bob, you can mess with double action fuel pumps, vacuum pumps, rebuilt wiper motors etc. but the bess overall solution is readily available at your flaps. It's called RainX and it really works!

Gerry
                NE Colorado

Comment

Bob, you can mess with double action fuel pumps, vacuum pumps, rebuilt wiper motors etc. but the bess overall solution is readily available at your flaps. It's called RainX and it really works!

Gerry
                  NE Colorado

Comment

I subscribe to Rain-X also. It works well if properly wiped off, according to directions; otherwise it just smears.

As for those "skinnyl ittle summer tires"[sic], when my 53 Coupe was my daily driver I never removed the bias 760/15 the car came with and only rarely had to strap on the chains. Narrow tires are better in the snow than fat ones. I think the 5.25/17 on my Rockne would terrorize the new BMW's, which are worthless in any accumulation more than an inch deep.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    33 Rockne 10
                    51 Commander Starlight
                    53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I subscribe to Rain-X also. It works well if properly wiped off, according to directions; otherwise it just smears.

As for those "skinnyl ittle summer tires"[sic], when my 53 Coupe was my daily driver I never removed the bias 760/15 the car came with and only rarely had to strap on the chains. Narrow tires are better in the snow than fat ones. I think the 5.25/17 on my Rockne would terrorize the new BMW's, which are worthless in any accumulation more than an inch deep.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      33 Rockne 10
                      51 Commander Starlight
                      53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Gee StudeDude, I thought farmers were the only ones that knew about the standing water deal. Speaking of Model T's, they had a 3 inch tire up front and a 3 1/2 in back to better wedge into the rut cut by the front tire. Something really hard to believe but I know it's true because my dad was a sober old German and wasn't into exaggerating and or other such "foolishness" as he called it. He said he got 100,000 miles out of a set of Western Auto tires on his Champion. I guess they put them on, he drove them for a week and them had them "trued" where they actually cut any high spots off of the tire making it perfectly round. He said not only did they ride smooth as silk, they wore much more evenly even though some rubber was trimed off. He had all his tires trued until the 60's when no one provided that service any more.

Comment

Gee StudeDude, I thought farmers were the only ones that knew about the standing water deal. Speaking of Model T's, they had a 3 inch tire up front and a 3 1/2 in back to better wedge into the rut cut by the front tire. Something really hard to believe but I know it's true because my dad was a sober old German and wasn't into exaggerating and or other such "foolishness" as he called it. He said he got 100,000 miles out of a set of Western Auto tires on his Champion. I guess they put them on, he drove them for a week and them had them "trued" where they actually cut any high spots off of the tire making it perfectly round. He said not only did they ride smooth as silk, they wore much more evenly even though some rubber was trimed off. He had all his tires trued until the 60's when no one provided that service any more.

Comment

Working...
                          X