No announcement yet.

Bob Palma's Letter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I had been able to express it as well as you, Bams50! We need to do our part for both causes. My original jokingly, analogous reference was to the now oscar winning movie and since he is now more of a crusader and doesn't currently hold a position in office I thought folks would get my point. I have the utmost respect for Bob Palma (he has always, ALWAYS answered my car questions without condescension no matter how trivial) and also, Richard Lentinello.. especially since he once wrote that he wanted to find a 59-60 Lark some day! Since this thread didn't start or end up Studebaker related per se, I will offer this in agreement to one of Bob's opinions..

[img][/img]

Comment

And that's why you are one of my Studebaker HEROES BOB!!!!

A great response and g;ad to know that like you many of us care.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark
        Since this thread didn't start or end up Studebaker related per se, I will offer this in agreement to one of Bob's opinions..

[img][/img]

[8D] Great photo, Dave! Be sure to read Jim Donnelly's editorial cited earlier..."girls included!" (Yes, my daughter Kate's first car was a 1985 Oldsmobile Firenza. When it came time to change the oil, she followed me out to the shop and said, "I want you to show me how to do this!" So, of course, I did...not that she wanted to do it again, you understand, but she could if she had to!)

And to continue the Studebaker connection, that's Kate and her husband with Denny Lockmon's 1964 R1 Daytona convertible on the front cover of the April 2006 Turning Wheels, on their wedding day. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My oldest daughter is close to that day and if you think I won't pose her in front of a Studebaker, you would be WRONG!

Comment

By the way, there were happier times after the child labor laws were violated.. Bob, I think that smile is what your letter was all about.

[img][/img]

Comment

My oldest daughter is close to that day and if you think I won't pose her in front of a Studebaker, you would be WRONG!
              Hopefully, Dave, your daughter will be as predisposed to using a Studebaker as was my Kate.

Cute story: Kate asked me if we could use one of our collector cars in the wedding, thinking maybe I'd want to use the 1956 Packard Clipper Super hardtop. But I knew Denny Lockmon now owned the 1964 Daytona convertible Cari and I used in our wedding, so I dug out that photo of Cari and I on our wedding day and asked Kate if she'd like me to get that very same car to use in her wedding. She thought that was just the coolest thing ever, and Denny was most helpful in letting me acquire and use the car.

And it finally settled a friendly, long-standing "argument" between my two kids.

Our first child, "Javelin Joe," was born in June 1980. It was a beautiful day when he was to come home, so I brought he and Cari home in my 17,000-mile 1973 Mustang convertible. I still have the car (bought it in January 1976) and it still has fewer than 18,000 actual miles on it.

Kate, though, was born in early March 1982. When it was time to bring her and Cari home, it was too miserable to use a collector car, so I brought them home in my 1979 El Camino I had bought new three years earlier. A couple years later, thanks to the rampant inflation in the 1978-1985 period, I had a chance to sell the El Camino as a five-year-old truck for $650 MORE than I had paid for it brand new!

I jumped at the chance and bought a nice 1973 F-150 to have a truck, sold the El Camino, and paid off the house.

Well, Joe never let Kate forget that, taunting her with jabs on the order of, "Dad sold the car you came home from the hospital in, but he kept the one I came home from the hospital in!"

Then the opportunity came up to use the same Studebaker convertible for Kate's wedding that we had used for mine and Cari's. Joe had to tuck his tail between his legs and sheepishly admit, "Well, OK, Kate; Dad did it. Getting that same convertible back for your wedding equals his keeping the Mustang I came home from the hospital in."

Joe and Kate have always gotten along unusually well, so it was fun to be able to remove Joe's one jab he could take at her every so often! BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was in a trendy place the other night, schmoozing customers...
                (I want to thank my sponsors..btw..)
                One very cute gal asked me if I actually knew what my carbon footprint was.
                She was really surprised when I said, in reply "Why, yes, I do know what my carbon footprint is"...
                She queried "Please, tell me!" In a sultry kind of way.....
                I replied, "My carbon footprint is a ten ton solid block of black coal hovering over my head about to crush me if I change directions too fast"...
                She gave me "The Look"...
                My friends laughed and said I messed up what could have been an interesting evening.
                I told them my evening was already interesting, especially with that block of black coal following me around everywhere[:0]..
                (It used to be black helicopters)....
                Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff, you lost me! I'll have to ask my daughter about that one.

Bob P.,
                  It appears our daughters are the exact same age, born in '82. Mine was born in Pasadena, Cal when I was working out there after college for a few years. She learned to distinguish most 50's cars as they passed on the road and learned to drive a four speed on back roads around here in Ohio. She out car talked her guy friends in college about most things and knows what to do in most four wheel emergencies. My youngest is getting the early driving lessons as her oldest sister had, but in my Tahoe. She's too nervous to try the Lark yet. I actually am sure I can hit the brakes and grab the wheel easier in the convert, but she knows after helping with me that most things on a 59-60 are getting harder to replace and what it would mean to end up in a ditch or worse.
                  It's my birthday this weekend and both of them are taking me out to dinner. I guarantee it will be in my Lark. Another great memory in a Studebaker, I hope.

Comment

Bob P.,
                    It's my birthday this weekend and both of them are taking me out to dinner. I guarantee it will be in my Lark. Another great memory in a Studebaker, I hope.
                    And a Happy Birthday at ya,' Dave! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I think Bob's letter to Hemming's Classic Car was spot on. What he said was the only way this hobby of ours can continue to grow and prosper.
                      Nice job Bob.
                      Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                      X