Now THIS is a barn find!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now THIS is a barn find!

I have some ads and photos of 36-37 trucks, but nothing that has an integral body like that one. Maybe Richard Quinn has a picture.

What a find!

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

quote:Originally posted by alanmende

I absolutely love those gauges. Does anyone know if these ended up in any other vehicles?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Holy Moly! What a find. I always wanted to find a cool Stude panel truck hidden somewhere but that one is over the top. Lots of work to bring it back, if possible, but it's safe to say one of a kind for "still in existence" category. I wonder if anyone has an original picture of that truck style anywhere...Mr. Quinn, perhaps? Thanks for sharing the pics. So many barn finds on the forum, but that's a serious one!

Comment

Now THIS is a barn find!

Our son bought a John Deere 55 combine. The other day he and his father in-law were working to load the grain head onto a trailer at the farm where he bought the machine. When he came home, he told me that there was an old truck in the barn that, upon further investigation, turned out to be a Studebaker. A pick-up I figured. No Dad, it's like a BIG panel truck. Well, let me get out my Studebaker truck book and tell me if you see something similar in it. Boy, did he ever. When he pointed to a photo, I said okay, when are you going to take me to see it. This afternoon after I got home from work. This is what he showed me:

Not much to look at, huh? Take a closer look:

I called the owner, and basically, if another party isn't interested in it, he'll get back to me.

So group, educate me. If my guess is right, it's a 1936 model. I'm pretty sure that H A Hartman & Sons of Steelton, PA was a moving company. There are also remnants of Creekside Stables, Middletown, PA on the side with a horse's head painted on the panel behind the cab doors. The panel from the passenger side is leaning against the back of the truck, meaning one of the rear doors is probably missing.

The truck is of composite construction with sheet metal tacked onto a wooden frame. I have never seen another like it. Do any of you have any idea regarding its rarity? Did Studebaker build the body? Any idea regarding its value? (Yeah, I know; whatever someone is willing to pay for it.) Ballpark figure.

Alan Mende
        Hummelstown, PA
        Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
        Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

Alan,

Like the Brits would say : " and now for something
          completely different"
          I wonder what the lifestory of the old girl
          might reveal?
          She realy should have a name,along with
          a make-over, i think!

Realy interesting.Thanks for sharing.

Peet
          Pretoria

Comment

A gorgeous machine indeed...and a real find. Hopefully, Dick Quinn will post identification. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

BTW, Leonard..kudos on getting those 36-37 truck pictures up so fast, great ads! Is that mason jar from moonshine days????

Comment

Man! Couldn't you build a dandy motorhome out of that thing? Looks like a Dictator or Commander six. I'd almost think a person would be ahead of the game by discarding the entire body back of the cowl, and building a new one to the same dimensions. However it's done, it would be quite a project.

Value? I'd offer the owner a thousand bucks, but be prepared to go double that. You have to assume that every single part of the thing will need to be restored, so paying a huge amount up front for the relic will defeat you.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

It looks like a '36, probably a 2M225 series. Frank Drumheller (studelark) has a lot of truck literature from the late '30's. I am not sure how often he drops in here, but you may also try posting on the Truck Talk page.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                  Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

It looks like a '36, probably a 2M225 series.
                    According to the literature, it would be a Metro 'Boss' Series truck. All the folder shows is a small illustration of the Standard 'Boss' truck which is not the cab-forward, or 'Metro' design as this one is.

Craig

Comment

The thing that entices me is that most of it is wood. I used to teach high school wood shop and still love to work with wood -- furniture, carpentry, you name it. There is enough of the body there for patterns. The problem is that I don't have any place big enough to store and work on it. We already put up a 3-car detached garage for the utility tractor, F-150, and our Starliner, but there's no more level real estate for another, taller, building. Guess if I want to work on a something with a composite body, I'll just have to settle for trying to find my very first car again, a 1928 Buick Model 28-58 5-passenger coupe:

Yup, that's me at age 18 or 19 on the family farm in Neshanic, NJ. Of course, I wouldn't mind having the 1937 Packard Model 115C Touring Sedan that my brother and I bought from a neighbor.

Those are two cars I'd love to have back again.

Alan
                      Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                      Grantville, PA

Comment

WOW!

Unfortunately it looks like it was stored in the same conditions as the Tulsa Plymouth

But it sounds like you are very qualified with the woodworking skills. More so than many people. But, yes, it will sink you deep financially. I hope someone does it. I always see old factory photos of special bodies and wonder what ever happened to them. (Do any still exist someplace?) Well, now we know.

I believe there is an old Marx toy truck in pressed steel very similar to this. Cool.

KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Man, what a cool find! I love those COE trucks and this body style is wonderful. Oh, and the F150 could sit outside. I mean lets set our priorities.

Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Hello Dick,

Thank you for the information. As you probably saw in the initial responses, many folks felt you'd have information. Yes, please post other photos,

Alan
                              Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                              Grantville, PA

Comment

Working...
                              X