Is it a rumor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a rumor?

On another board a poster remarked that Stude/Packard had planned to buy bodywork tooling from Lincoln to produce the '57 models.

Sounds completely wrong to me - is this guy full of poop, or was there a sinister plan?

Chris Pile
    StudeFolk Manager
    http://tiny.cc/RYqAK
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

It is true, according to several sources. This is an excerpt from the book [u]The Fall of the Packard Motor Company</u> by James Ward.

Nance had a close relationship with Ford. After he left SP, he became general manager of Edsel...poor guy!

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I know I have mentioned this on the boards before so perhaps I am the poop-filled individual Chris was referring to! I remembered reading the above from James Ward's book on Packard. Interestingly, S-P also prepared styling studies...at least on paper...based on the Ford and Lincoln bodyshells. Wouldn't it be something to SEE these styling studies? (you Photoshop guys should be able to come up with something!)

The 1956 Ford bodyshell was already somewhat upright and dated by the time production ended IMHO. The Lincoln bodyshell, on the other hand, was long, low and would have done Packard proud. I still think it's a shame Ford didn't buy Packard in 1954 when it was offered and skipped production of the Edsel.

Studedude1961
      --1963 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris Pile

On another board a poster remarked that Stude/Packard had planned to buy bodywork tooling from Lincoln to produce the '57 models.

Sounds completely wrong to me - is this guy full of poop, or was there a sinister plan?
        It was definitely NOT a rumor!! There was a common body sharing proposal between Ford and S-P between Lincoln and Packard models.
        Dick Teague did this and a few other sketches of a proposed '57 Packard with a Lincoln roofline.

Craig

Comment

I think the '57 Packards, as originally proposed, would have been a costly failure, so it's probably good they couldn't build those. I'm not saying they weren't terribly unattractive, but they were rather stern-looking. Using the '56-57 Lincoln body, particularly in its two-door hardtop form, would have created a much more beautiful and nicely-proportioned car, IMHO.

I've not seen any of the Studebaker/Ford proposals, but I would imagine they'd have turned out quite well. I still believe the '57 Ford is an attractive car, perhaps the best Ford design of the '50s, so anything Studebaker would've done with the basic "bones" of that body shell could only have been a good thing.

Either way, given what little S-P had to work with in the way of tooling funds, the '57s that were eventually built turned out surprisingly well. The Clipper may get a bad rap in Packard circles, but it was a fine effort.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Wow, I didn't have a clue about the S-P and Ford possible connection.
            Dick Teague's rendering looks fantastic.
            Boy oh boy, it's interesting to think what could have happened.
            Unfortunately it didn't.
            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Here is what a 56 Lincoln body would have looked like with the 56 Packard trim. I have never seen any designs of what it really would have looked like though. It would be real interesting to see them.

Oh, thanks Craig. Actually I had seen that picture, but my memory failed me

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

8E45E
                What book or magazine did the picture of the green Packard come from?

Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO
                President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

It looks like a Collectible Automobile to me, Gary, but I've not seen that particular one. Craig, which issue was that?

Comment

quote:
                    What book or magazine did the picture of the green Packard come from?
                    Colletible Automobile. September, 1984.

Craig

Comment

Thank you,
                      After looking at it awhile it came to me that it is the artwork from Collectible Automobile. The only magazine that I have every issue.

Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO
                      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                      Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO

Comment

I see the Edsel influence building (growing) in that concept drawing.

Chop Stu
                        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Speaking of Studebaker-Ford connections, has the subject ever been discussed on the forum that Bob Bourke did the basic design that became the '49 Ford on the kitchen table of his home in Mishawaka, IN? He did it in secret and "on the side" while working in South Bend for Raymond Lowey and Studebaker, and the whole story didn't get out until a number of years after a leak would have had any serious commercial ramifications. I know the South Bend Tribune did a newspaper article on the subject sometime in the 1990's. Just wondering if I'm rehashing old news, or if everyone knows about it.

Kevin Wolford
                          Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
                          60 Lark VI Conv.
                          63 Avanti R1

Comment

Hmmmm, I thought that's where the bullet in Ford's grille came from.

Chris Pile
                            StudeFolk Manager
                            http://tiny.cc/RYqAK
                            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

There is a good article in the June 2008 Collectible Automobile magazine, that says so many people claimed to have had a hand in it, that it sometimes seems that everybody in the industry did...

and they have some interesting illustrations including one with a Studebaker type Starlight rear window.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Working...
                              X