Do you still have the seat covers?

Leave a comment:

• 63larkcustom
    replied
    Do you still have the seat covers?

Leave a comment:

• GTtim
    replied
    As for why the five blades, I can't say from experience that 5 blades make less noise, they seem plenty noisy to me. What I have noticed is that with 5 blades it is an awful lot easier to take the supercharger belt on and off and remove the fan itself. The big gap leaves a space to work the wrench.

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk

Leave a comment:

• GTtim
    replied
    As for why the five blades, I can't say from experience that 5 blades make less noise, they seem plenty noisy to me. What I have noticed is that with 5 blades it is an awful lot easier to take the supercharger belt on and off and remove the fan itself. The big gap leaves a space to work the wrench.

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    I knew a club member back in Texas who had a six bladed fan for the viscous drive. Stated it was something Studebaker offered but very few were ever produced. He wanted to put it on his R2 Avanti to keep the Texas summer at arms length.

I actually found an seven blade aluminum fan off a Dodge 318 that fit the Studebaker viscous drive. Put it on my old 62 Champ 7E7. It was pretty impressive. It would almost pull the dead grasshoppers through the core!

1960 Lark VI - finally turned 50k in August of 2006

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    I knew a club member back in Texas who had a six bladed fan for the viscous drive. Stated it was something Studebaker offered but very few were ever produced. He wanted to put it on his R2 Avanti to keep the Texas summer at arms length.

I actually found an seven blade aluminum fan off a Dodge 318 that fit the Studebaker viscous drive. Put it on my old 62 Champ 7E7. It was pretty impressive. It would almost pull the dead grasshoppers through the core!

1960 Lark VI - finally turned 50k in August of 2006

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Thanks guys! Funny that Stude used some 6-blades as well that were symmetrical.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Thanks guys! Funny that Stude used some 6-blades as well that were symmetrical.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• garyash
    replied
    The offset fan blades are to keep the noise down. If the blades are at the same spacing and have the same width, you'll get a sound like a fire engine siren. Having the blades at irregular spacings spreads the sound over a wider frequency range so you get more like the whoosh of "white noise" than a shrill howl. It's tougher to design and balance, but easier on the nerves.

As one of my high school teachers used to say as he handed back the test papers with grades ranging from F to C, "Gosh, physics is fun!"

Gary Ash (industrial physicist)
    Dartmouth, MA

Leave a comment:

• garyash
    replied
    The offset fan blades are to keep the noise down. If the blades are at the same spacing and have the same width, you'll get a sound like a fire engine siren. Having the blades at irregular spacings spreads the sound over a wider frequency range so you get more like the whoosh of "white noise" than a shrill howl. It's tougher to design and balance, but easier on the nerves.

As one of my high school teachers used to say as he handed back the test papers with grades ranging from F to C, "Gosh, physics is fun!"

Gary Ash (industrial physicist)
    Dartmouth, MA

Leave a comment:

• mapman
    replied
    If I remember correctly the blades are set at those positions for noise reduction. Kind af like truck tires have the tread patterns designed asymetricly so they won't create such a howl. If you remember the old truck tires in the sixties were so loud you coudn't hear yourself think while driving next to them on the hiway. Of course the trucks were pretty noisy too.
    Rob

Leave a comment:

• mapman
    replied
    If I remember correctly the blades are set at those positions for noise reduction. Kind af like truck tires have the tread patterns designed asymetricly so they won't create such a howl. If you remember the old truck tires in the sixties were so loud you coudn't hear yourself think while driving next to them on the hiway. Of course the trucks were pretty noisy too.
    Rob

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    A long time ago I knew a GM mechanical engineer. One of the things that he told me was that there were two versions of multi-bladed fans for use with fan clutches: a 7-bladed one for heavy-duty applications (big trucks and police duty) and a 5-bladed for upgraded consumer use (cars with hi-po motors or equipped with A/C). They were both designed around the same core parts and the 5-blade was simply a "de-tuned" version of the 7-blade, with appropriate balancing to offset the missing blades.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    A long time ago I knew a GM mechanical engineer. One of the things that he told me was that there were two versions of multi-bladed fans for use with fan clutches: a 7-bladed one for heavy-duty applications (big trucks and police duty) and a 5-bladed for upgraded consumer use (cars with hi-po motors or equipped with A/C). They were both designed around the same core parts and the 5-blade was simply a "de-tuned" version of the 7-blade, with appropriate balancing to offset the missing blades.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    You're not the only one who's wondered that StudeBob!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X