Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I remember correctly the blades are set at those positions for noise reduction. Kind af like truck tires have the tread patterns designed asymetricly so they won't create such a howl. If you remember the old truck tires in the sixties were so loud you coudn't hear yourself think while driving next to them on the hiway. Of course the trucks were pretty noisy too.
    Rob

Comment

If I remember correctly the blades are set at those positions for noise reduction. Kind af like truck tires have the tread patterns designed asymetricly so they won't create such a howl. If you remember the old truck tires in the sixties were so loud you coudn't hear yourself think while driving next to them on the hiway. Of course the trucks were pretty noisy too.
      Rob

Comment

The offset fan blades are to keep the noise down. If the blades are at the same spacing and have the same width, you'll get a sound like a fire engine siren. Having the blades at irregular spacings spreads the sound over a wider frequency range so you get more like the whoosh of "white noise" than a shrill howl. It's tougher to design and balance, but easier on the nerves.

As one of my high school teachers used to say as he handed back the test papers with grades ranging from F to C, "Gosh, physics is fun!"

Gary Ash (industrial physicist)
        Dartmouth, MA
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

The offset fan blades are to keep the noise down. If the blades are at the same spacing and have the same width, you'll get a sound like a fire engine siren. Having the blades at irregular spacings spreads the sound over a wider frequency range so you get more like the whoosh of "white noise" than a shrill howl. It's tougher to design and balance, but easier on the nerves.

As one of my high school teachers used to say as he handed back the test papers with grades ranging from F to C, "Gosh, physics is fun!"

Gary Ash (industrial physicist)
          Dartmouth, MA
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Thanks guys! Funny that Stude used some 6-blades as well that were symmetrical.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks guys! Funny that Stude used some 6-blades as well that were symmetrical.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I knew a club member back in Texas who had a six bladed fan for the viscous drive. Stated it was something Studebaker offered but very few were ever produced. He wanted to put it on his R2 Avanti to keep the Texas summer at arms length.

I actually found an seven blade aluminum fan off a Dodge 318 that fit the Studebaker viscous drive. Put it on my old 62 Champ 7E7. It was pretty impressive. It would almost pull the dead grasshoppers through the core!

1960 Lark VI - finally turned 50k in August of 2006

Comment

I knew a club member back in Texas who had a six bladed fan for the viscous drive. Stated it was something Studebaker offered but very few were ever produced. He wanted to put it on his R2 Avanti to keep the Texas summer at arms length.

I actually found an seven blade aluminum fan off a Dodge 318 that fit the Studebaker viscous drive. Put it on my old 62 Champ 7E7. It was pretty impressive. It would almost pull the dead grasshoppers through the core!

1960 Lark VI - finally turned 50k in August of 2006

Comment

As for why the five blades, I can't say from experience that 5 blades make less noise, they seem plenty noisy to me. What I have noticed is that with 5 blades it is an awful lot easier to take the supercharger belt on and off and remove the fan itself. The big gap leaves a space to work the wrench.

Tim K.
                    '64 R2 GT Hawk
                    Tim K.
                    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

As for why the five blades, I can't say from experience that 5 blades make less noise, they seem plenty noisy to me. What I have noticed is that with 5 blades it is an awful lot easier to take the supercharger belt on and off and remove the fan itself. The big gap leaves a space to work the wrench.

Tim K.
                      '64 R2 GT Hawk
                      Tim K.
                      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Do you still have the seat covers?

Comment

Do you still have the seat covers?

Comment

Working...
                          X