Radio Conversion Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Conversion Needs

Can anyone direct me to a radio service outfit that can convert my 63' AM to AM/FM ??

If you do a search for AM radio conversions you will find companies that can do this. It is expensive to do. Here is one example.
    http://www.bobsradio.com/index.html

Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

Comment

If cost is a major concern, you can watch eBay for a 1970's vintage FM converter that mounts under dash. Run your antenna coax to it, wire it up, plug the converter's coax into the AM radio, tune your AM to the output frequency of the converter, and you can listen to FM without modifying your stock system in any other way. Not the prettiest setup in many ways, but it works. If you listen to only one FM station, the converter can be tucked away out of sight if desired.

Be prepared to pay about 3 to 5 times what they sold for in the 1970's. I remember paid $19.95 for one I bought in 1979. I should have taken that one out of that car when I sold it! Still, $60-$100 is less than a conversion or a stock AM-FM.

Kevin Wolford
      Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
      60 Lark VI Conv.
      63 Avanti R1

Comment

The local FM station was giving them away in 1970.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I had mine done by Tayman Electrical in Florida. www.taymanelectrical.com/. Fast turn around, about two weeks, $470 they even repainted the front.

Wayen K.
          Libby, MT
          61 Hawk (Project)
          48 Diamond T 306H (Waiting)

Comment

Working...
          X