This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yippee! And... Oh No! (Bittersweet)

Well even though the interior isn't back together yet, I took Stella on her longest trip to date with me!

This weekend a handful of us from the Heart of Dixie chapter went to Huntsville to support a show sponsored by the North Alabama chapter.

It was a 2-hour drive both ways on I-65, a beautiful day, with highs around 70. Of course to me that meant no rain leaking into the trunk or windows and no overheating![] And even though I was white-knuckling it the entire way up there (nerves), it was a great day and she did me proud.

Except... When we got ready to leave the show, the oil was 2 quarts low! Yep, she's got a pretty bad leak. Of course she smokes a little oil, but the bad thing is when she gets warmed up, you can see the oil drip from under the car. I stopped twice on the way back and had to add a few more quarts along the way.

After looking her over, one of my local SDC buddies recommended we start with replacing the rear main seal and main (and/or crankshaft rod) bearings.

Wish us good luck. (I'm still proud of her for the trip!)

[img=left]http://www.bulletshots.net/images/stella3.jpg[/img=left]1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
    www.bulletshots.net
    www.bulletshots.net/blog
    www.alabamastudes.com

Eric,

If Stella's oil pressure is fine and she's not knocking, don't put bearings in her just because you have the pan down.[)] That's about like buying new tires 'cause your's need air!
    Do some REAL detective work as to your oil leaks. The front main seals are more suspect than the rears although I'm NOT saying that the rear one can't be bad too. Thing is, oil can leak from ABOVE the rear main seal and make you THINK it's the rear main because it drips from the back end of the engine.

On the flip side - good goin' on Stella's outing! You'll get braver as time goes on and the white knuckles will fade. It's a car after all. A damned good car at that. It's the reason we haven't dropped the word Drivers from the club name. Unlike the Classic Impala or Edsel Owners clubs.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Eric,

If Stella's oil pressure is fine and she's not knocking, don't put bearings in her just because you have the pan down.[)] That's about like buying new tires 'cause your's need air!
      Do some REAL detective work as to your oil leaks. The front main seals are more suspect than the rears although I'm NOT saying that the rear one can't be bad too. Thing is, oil can leak from ABOVE the rear main seal and make you THINK it's the rear main because it drips from the back end of the engine.

On the flip side - good goin' on Stella's outing! You'll get braver as time goes on and the white knuckles will fade. It's a car after all. A damned good car at that. It's the reason we haven't dropped the word Drivers from the club name. Unlike the Classic Impala or Edsel Owners clubs.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If you are leaking that much oil, you should be able to find the leak! Is it coming from the front of the engine or the back? If it is coming from the front, I would check the front main seal and the timing cover. If it is coming from the back, look at the distributor seal. Are you sure that you have the plug in behind the cam? Are you sure the cam plug is tight? That would have oil running down the outside of the bellhousing and dripping off the rear of the pan to look like a rear seal leak. Put a clean piece of cardboard under the car and start it up. See where the oil first appears and follow the path of the oil up to the source. It could be as simple as a leaky oil gage line.

Comment

If you are leaking that much oil, you should be able to find the leak! Is it coming from the front of the engine or the back? If it is coming from the front, I would check the front main seal and the timing cover. If it is coming from the back, look at the distributor seal. Are you sure that you have the plug in behind the cam? Are you sure the cam plug is tight? That would have oil running down the outside of the bellhousing and dripping off the rear of the pan to look like a rear seal leak. Put a clean piece of cardboard under the car and start it up. See where the oil first appears and follow the path of the oil up to the source. It could be as simple as a leaky oil gage line.

Comment

Congratulations on the outing. The old girl's a beaut! A few leaks and creaks here and there aren't bad for someone who's just about old enough to collect Social Security!(LOL)

Lotsa Larks!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Congratulations on the outing. The old girl's a beaut! A few leaks and creaks here and there aren't bad for someone who's just about old enough to collect Social Security!(LOL)

Lotsa Larks!
              Ron Smith
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks for the congrats. And I'll try to pinpoint exactly where that leak may be coming from (with the help of everyone's suggestions).

[img=left]http://www.bulletshots.net/images/stella3.jpg[/img=left]1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
                www.bulletshots.net
                www.bulletshots.net/blog
                www.alabamastudes.com

Comment

Thanks for the congrats. And I'll try to pinpoint exactly where that leak may be coming from (with the help of everyone's suggestions).

www.bulletshots.net
                  www.bulletshots.net/blog
                  www.alabamastudes.com

Comment

Working...
                  X