I just bought my first Studee lots of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought my first Studee lots of questions

I just bought my first studee. its a 1958 hardtop coupe called a silver hawk. its solid for a ohio car, somebody already fixed the floors but the 4 fenders are too bad to fix.

I am told it has a small block 289 in it, anyway to check this?

Are reproduction fenders made? Are trunk panels made? Sorry for so many questions but Im excited about my new purchase. I sent my membership in today for your club.

Chris

trunk yes, fenders no, unless you want to go fiberglass. You may be able to find good used quarters but the front fenders will be difficult. I'd probably just go with 'glass unless you are going for show quality restoration.

Check with Classic Enterprises for the trunk floor and other patch panels

here's one source for 'glass parts

http://www.classglassperformance.com...tudebaker.html

good luck

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

trunk yes, fenders no, unless you want to go fiberglass. You may be able to find good used quarters but the front fenders will be difficult. I'd probably just go with 'glass unless you are going for show quality restoration.

Check with Classic Enterprises for the trunk floor and other patch panels

here's one source for 'glass parts

http://www.classglassperformance.com...tudebaker.html

good luck

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by silverhawk58

I just bought my first studee. its a 1958 hardtop coupe called a silver hawk. its solid for a ohio car, somebody already fixed the floors but the 4 fenders are too bad to fix.

Are reproduction fenders made? Are trunk panels made? Sorry for so many questions but Im excited about my new purchase. I sent my membership in today for your club.

Chris
        Welcome Silver Hawk 58,
        Since you are in Ohio, I can help you with local club info and maybe with body parts for that Hawk. We have some very active parts vendors and club members. Email me by clicking on my Forum ID, "barnlark" and I will try to give you the names of those near you. Good luck!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by silverhawk58

Chris
          Welcome Silver Hawk 58,
          Since you are in Ohio, I can help you with local club info and maybe with body parts for that Hawk. We have some very active parts vendors and club members. Email me by clicking on my Forum ID, "barnlark" and I will try to give you the names of those near you. Good luck!

Comment

To identify the engine, look for a number stamped on a small machined area at the top of the front of the block. Post the number here and someone will tell you what displacement engine you have. BTW, Studebaker had a 289 cu in V8 before Ford did. No parts interchange -- they just happen to have the same displacement.

Skip Lackie
            Washington DC
            Skip Lackie

Comment

To identify the engine, look for a number stamped on a small machined area at the top of the front of the block. Post the number here and someone will tell you what displacement engine you have. BTW, Studebaker had a 289 cu in V8 before Ford did. No parts interchange -- they just happen to have the same displacement.

Skip Lackie
              Washington DC
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on owning a 58 Silver Hawk

My Mother bought one brand new and I learned to drive on it. You are a lucky guy!

Here is where the motor number is located, on the block just ahead of the valley cover.

58 Silver Hawks came with 289s if it was a V8, but you engine may have been changed over the years. If the engine number starts with a "P" then it is a 289. If it starts with a "V", it is a 259.

Leonard Shepherd
                http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on owning a 58 Silver Hawk

My Mother bought one brand new and I learned to drive on it. You are a lucky guy!

Here is where the motor number is located, on the block just ahead of the valley cover.

58 Silver Hawks came with 289s if it was a V8, but you engine may have been changed over the years. If the engine number starts with a "P" then it is a 289. If it starts with a "V", it is a 259.

Leonard Shepherd
                  http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I noticed that no one addressed your question about the engine. If your car has the original engine it is a Studebaker produced engine and it may very well be a 289 displacement. If you will post the information on the firewall tag attached to the passenger side under the hood we can help identify your car. Also there will be a number stamped (not cast) onto a flat area on the driver's side top front corner of the engine that will correctly identify your engine. You will likely have to clean the area to read the numbers and there should be a P or V at the begining unless it is a replacement.
                    Good luck with your new project. Lots of good information here and lots of good people in the SDC.
                    [:I] Looks like several of us posted about the same time! Don't you guys have work to do?

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I noticed that no one addressed your question about the engine. If your car has the original engine it is a Studebaker produced engine and it may very well be a 289 displacement. If you will post the information on the firewall tag attached to the passenger side under the hood we can help identify your car. Also there will be a number stamped (not cast) onto a flat area on the driver's side top front corner of the engine that will correctly identify your engine. You will likely have to clean the area to read the numbers and there should be a P or V at the begining unless it is a replacement.
                      Good luck with your new project. Lots of good information here and lots of good people in the SDC.
                      [:I] Looks like several of us posted about the same time! Don't you guys have work to do?

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona. Searcy,Arkansas
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

If it is a 58 silver, hard top it will have a 259 only,and exported to canada only 56 made.

gh

Comment

If it is a 58 silver, hard top it will have a 259 only,and exported to canada only 56 made.

gh

Comment

just went an looked engine number is V379607. engine has teal colored paint under the grease on it and the tranny, paint looks original. Auto 2spd trans but looks like car was clutch from factory as the clutch pedal is torched off under the car.

I dont like the idea of fiberglas fenders on a car I plan on restoring to show. What should one expect to pay each if I could find nos fenders for front and rear?

Comment

just went an looked engine number is V379607. engine has teal colored paint under the grease on it and the tranny, paint looks original. Auto 2spd trans but looks like car was clutch from factory as the clutch pedal is torched off under the car.

I dont like the idea of fiberglas fenders on a car I plan on restoring to show. What should one expect to pay each if I could find nos fenders for front and rear?

Comment

Working...
                              X