Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Buying Tires: Experiences-good/bad ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Buying Tires: Experiences-good/bad ??

OK....going to buy tires this week. 205 x 15-75's. Any comments pro or con on: Goodyear WeatherHandler. Uniroyal Tiger Paw. Any other makes ???

I just bought a set of Yokohama Avid Touring 205's for my 56J, haven't installed them yet. $60 each at Tire Rack, they also have ratings/satisfaction surveys to look at. Can install these with either black-wall or narrow white stripe showing.
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

Comment

I just bought a set of Yokohama Avid Touring 205's for my 56J, haven't installed them yet. $60 each at Tire Rack, they also have ratings/satisfaction surveys to look at. Can install these with either black-wall or narrow white stripe showing.
      Gil Zimmerman
      Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
      1956 Golden Hawk
      1958 Packard Hawk
      1958 President
      1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Tire rack shows about 30 choices...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=9&RunFlat=All

There are probably at least double that depending on your location and the tire stores you like to shop at.

Your choice would depend upon your goals (tire mileage, fuel mileage, handling, traction, wet, noise, etc.). My goal in buying radials for my Studebakers are...looks (I don't like the wrap around, modern looking tread on an old Studebaker...and I might want a wider white wall than what's commonly available), and cost (being a CASO ).

BTW, don't let Palma catch you mounting those on 4 1/2" Studebaker rims .

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Tire rack shows about 30 choices...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=9&RunFlat=All

There are probably at least double that depending on your location and the tire stores you like to shop at.

Your choice would depend upon your goals (tire mileage, fuel mileage, handling, traction, wet, noise, etc.). My goal in buying radials for my Studebakers are...looks (I don't like the wrap around, modern looking tread on an old Studebaker...and I might want a wider white wall than what's commonly available), and cost (being a CASO ).

BTW, don't let Palma catch you mounting those on 4 1/2" Studebaker rims .

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH COOPER GTS

27 commander 47 M5 50 2dr 51 conv. 50 starlite 37 coupe express

Comment

HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH COOPER GTS

27 commander 47 M5 50 2dr 51 conv. 50 starlite 37 coupe express

Comment

I also have just bought the Yokohamas in 205/75 14 size for my Packard Hawk. Will use the black side wall for this one, most everything back in 50's listed WW tires as an extra cost option. I'm a bit uneasy of some of the current offerings which apparently bond a white wall overlay to a conventional radial, seems like this would add weight and potential balance problems. Also costly for an otherwise ordinary tire. Lots of Packard club folks are using them, however.
                Gil Zimmerman
                Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                1956 Golden Hawk
                1958 Packard Hawk
                1958 President
                1963 Avanti R2

Comment

I also have just bought the Yokohamas in 205/75 14 size for my Packard Hawk. Will use the black side wall for this one, most everything back in 50's listed WW tires as an extra cost option. I'm a bit uneasy of some of the current offerings which apparently bond a white wall overlay to a conventional radial, seems like this would add weight and potential balance problems. Also costly for an otherwise ordinary tire. Lots of Packard club folks are using them, however.
                  Gil Zimmerman
                  Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                  1956 Golden Hawk
                  1958 Packard Hawk
                  1958 President
                  1963 Avanti R2

Comment

What car are these for? If somewhat stock 6 cylinder 205 size is ok. If for a v8 hawk or 4 door sedan give some thought to 215/75R15 size. I think they give a better ride and handling. They will also fit a 59-60 Lark 2 door but visually appear a little large for the short car. What wheels are you putting them on? If stock Stude 4" or 4-1/2" wide wheels even the 205/75R15 radial tire is too large for the wheel. Radial tires need wider wheels than bias ply tires. Would highly recommend 5-1/2" wide wheels as a MINIMUM for radial tires. Have personally had a little difficulty with Uniroyals. Good luck

Comment

What car are these for? If somewhat stock 6 cylinder 205 size is ok. If for a v8 hawk or 4 door sedan give some thought to 215/75R15 size. I think they give a better ride and handling. They will also fit a 59-60 Lark 2 door but visually appear a little large for the short car. What wheels are you putting them on? If stock Stude 4" or 4-1/2" wide wheels even the 205/75R15 radial tire is too large for the wheel. Radial tires need wider wheels than bias ply tires. Would highly recommend 5-1/2" wide wheels as a MINIMUM for radial tires. Have personally had a little difficulty with Uniroyals. Good luck

Comment

quote:Originally posted by riversidevw

I also have just bought the Yokohamas in 205/75 14 size for my Packard Hawk. Will use the black side wall for this one, most everything back in 50's listed WW tires as an extra cost option.
                        I don't want to talk you out of your choice, but consider this...

Do you believe ANY of the Packard Hawks built were delivered with black wall tires?

The tires you chose...even with the black side out...will scream 2008. That tread and sidewall design will stand out against a 1950's car (IMHO)

The correct wide whitewalls (2 1/4" to 2 1/2" for your car) will be a couple of hundred dollars more than the Yokohamas (either repro bias or radials...none of the new wide white radials that I know of bond a white wall to a black tire). Is it really worth it?

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by riversidevw

I also have just bought the Yokohamas in 205/75 14 size for my Packard Hawk. Will use the black side wall for this one, most everything back in 50's listed WW tires as an extra cost option.
                          I don't want to talk you out of your choice, but consider this...

Do you believe ANY of the Packard Hawks built were delivered with black wall tires?

The tires you chose...even with the black side out...will scream 2008. That tread and sidewall design will stand out against a 1950's car (IMHO)

The correct wide whitewalls (2 1/4" to 2 1/2" for your car) will be a couple of hundred dollars more than the Yokohamas (either repro bias or radials...none of the new wide white radials that I know of bond a white wall to a black tire). Is it really worth it?

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Certainly there a number of beautiful wide white wall tires made the usual way. I was tempted by the BFG. Regarding "bonded" tires I was referring to some lines of tires offered by Diamond Back Radial Tires in the east. Their site describes how they "vulcanize" the white rubber to the tire.

www.widewhitewalltires.com/faq.htm

I suspect some of the tires offered by "White Wall Candy Store" in CA are a similar process. I have seen them on postwar Packards, all the outer side wall lettering is obliterated by the bonding process.

www.whitewallcandystore.com

The July 1957 issue of Sports Cars Illustrated featured a road test of a new Golden Hawk with black wall tires.
                            Gil Zimmerman
                            Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                            1956 Golden Hawk
                            1958 Packard Hawk
                            1958 President
                            1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Certainly there a number of beautiful wide white wall tires made the usual way. I was tempted by the BFG. Regarding "bonded" tires I was referring to some lines of tires offered by Diamond Back Radial Tires in the east. Their site describes how they "vulcanize" the white rubber to the tire.

www.widewhitewalltires.com/faq.htm

I suspect some of the tires offered by "White Wall Candy Store" in CA are a similar process. I have seen them on postwar Packards, all the outer side wall lettering is obliterated by the bonding process.

www.whitewallcandystore.com

The July 1957 issue of Sports Cars Illustrated featured a road test of a new Golden Hawk with black wall tires.
                              Gil Zimmerman
                              Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                              1956 Golden Hawk
                              1958 Packard Hawk
                              1958 President
                              1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Working...
                              X