Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost or Rare Factory Studebaker Stories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kmul221
    replied
    Bernice passed away several years ago & is now owned by a member.of SDC.The car is a 56 flight Hawk H/T 6cyl. auto.It was being driven but has serious rust issues in the frame & front fenders .I would have deemed it unsafe, and except for the rarity parted it out or spent thousands on a & be in up-side down.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by bob40 View Post
    Far as I know there still is not a verified 1962 Indy pace car located.Pace car not parade/dealership car.
    That still correct or has one been found?
    AFAIK, Bob; that is correct. Neither of the actual two cars that would have paced the race has been accounted for. BP

Leave a comment:

• bob40
    replied
    Far as I know there still is not a verified 1962 Indy pace car located.Pace car not parade/dealership car.
    That still correct or has one been found?

Leave a comment:

• jimmyg
    replied
    yeah, it's still around. I can send some pix ifyou're interested.Jimbo

Leave a comment:

• jimmyg
    replied
    Oscar Crouch-Black 1956 Flight Hawk Hardtop 56G-K7............still around

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Is that car still around? Last I heard of it was at an International Meet in Indianapolis, I think it was. I'd love to see a pic of it.

Craig
    the car is slowly coming back to life south of the Canadian border in southern Mn.We bought the car in Nov, 2010 from Tom Crouch & have been rebuilding it since then. The body was pretty rough & it would never be a "concours quality" car, so it's coming back to life as an old school "Studillac" with a Cadillac 472, turbo 400, 9"Ford rear, disc brakes, r&p steering so it will become a fun driver while still retaining the stock look outside/inside. This time around it's going to be the 58 Stude Shadowtone red color, becvause there's a lot of black cars out there, so we're going for something a little more distinctive..

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Originally posted by cjsteak View Post
    Lost prototypes,
    Yup!
    I know of a couple lost-but-found and being restored prototypes

Leave a comment:

• markansas859
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by cjsteak

Thanks for all the great replies to this thread! When I was managing at the local Ford dealer, we used to get a few cars in that I felt were one off's from the factory. Usually not for a good reason though! I remember a longbed, XLT, Ranger, 4X4, with the full offroad package, but it wasn't called an "FX4" because it came with a four cylinder! I thought our GM was going to kill the inventory manager when he ordered that monstrosity. It had an A/C delete too... mind you the dealership is in Central Texas. [^]

I remember somebody special ordering a 2003 Mach 1 Mustang with no stripes and a radio delete. Talk about wierd. Looked cool though, and i'm sure it was the only one like it.

Also had a 2003 Mustang GT with every option on it, except it had cloth interior and wierd roll up windows. Don't ask me how you got roll up windows on a newer Mustang. They're not supposed to exist. Even the lowliest of the lowly Mustangs got power windows and a power drivers seat. I think the cop Mustangs got roll ups, and possible the "body in white" race cars too... Just plain WIERD.

When the "new" 2005 F150 came out, we got one to display on our show room floor. Upon closer inspection it didn't have a data plate on it and was strictly for show. The tail gate was different than the production model (opened sideways like an Excursion), it had different seats, the shocks were mounted on the inside of the frame rails, instead of the outside like the production trucks, and it had slightly different rims than the production models.

Ofcourse these stories don't come close to the Studebaker ones. It's all I got though!

Chris Salisbury
    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop
    sales manager at the Pontiac/Isuzu dealer where I used to live in Louisiana had a bright idea that almost got him fired.

order 100 identical red Isuzu P'up trucks, strippo, stick, no air, and sell them for $5,995 at valentines day.

Owner ok'd the idea.

all 100 arrived December 28. Louisiana charges inventory tax on every car in stock as of Dec 31... the ORIGINAL plan was to have them hit after January 1.

they moved everything off the lot, Pontiacs, used cars, etc to the grass behind the body shop.

for 6 weeks, the lot was a "red sea" of Isuzu trucks.

they sold them all, and the insurance agency where I worked insured a bunch of them.

one of the best gimmicks a car dealer pulled in that town.

Leave a comment:

• markansas859
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by cjsteak

Thanks for all the great replies to this thread! When I was managing at the local Ford dealer, we used to get a few cars in that I felt were one off's from the factory. Usually not for a good reason though! I remember a longbed, XLT, Ranger, 4X4, with the full offroad package, but it wasn't called an "FX4" because it came with a four cylinder! I thought our GM was going to kill the inventory manager when he ordered that monstrosity. It had an A/C delete too... mind you the dealership is in Central Texas. [^]

I remember somebody special ordering a 2003 Mach 1 Mustang with no stripes and a radio delete. Talk about wierd. Looked cool though, and i'm sure it was the only one like it.

Also had a 2003 Mustang GT with every option on it, except it had cloth interior and wierd roll up windows. Don't ask me how you got roll up windows on a newer Mustang. They're not supposed to exist. Even the lowliest of the lowly Mustangs got power windows and a power drivers seat. I think the cop Mustangs got roll ups, and possible the "body in white" race cars too... Just plain WIERD.

When the "new" 2005 F150 came out, we got one to display on our show room floor. Upon closer inspection it didn't have a data plate on it and was strictly for show. The tail gate was different than the production model (opened sideways like an Excursion), it had different seats, the shocks were mounted on the inside of the frame rails, instead of the outside like the production trucks, and it had slightly different rims than the production models.

Ofcourse these stories don't come close to the Studebaker ones. It's all I got though!

Chris Salisbury
    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop
    sales manager at the Pontiac/Isuzu dealer where I used to live in Louisiana had a bright idea that almost got him fired.

order 100 identical red Isuzu P'up trucks, strippo, stick, no air, and sell them for $5,995 at valentines day.

Owner ok'd the idea.

all 100 arrived December 28. Louisiana charges inventory tax on every car in stock as of Dec 31... the ORIGINAL plan was to have them hit after January 1.

they moved everything off the lot, Pontiacs, used cars, etc to the grass behind the body shop.

for 6 weeks, the lot was a "red sea" of Isuzu trucks.

they sold them all, and the insurance agency where I worked insured a bunch of them.

one of the best gimmicks a car dealer pulled in that town.

Leave a comment:

• gaboy
    replied
    The ones built for CHP testing (big account-if it had been gotten) were X frame (convertable) built for stiffness & ALL had roll bars (like Avanti) with traction "package car" specs, both R1 & R2 engine configs.

sa,e type of seating as your excellent pic but more deeply padded. I sure wish I had acquired one when the testing (failed) was completed.

Also someone may know that we sold the city of Lawrenceville Ga a complete R2 marshall in earlt 63 to catch the hot rods they previously could not apprehend. (4 spd model too!)
    GABOY

Leave a comment:

• gaboy
    replied
    The ones built for CHP testing (big account-if it had been gotten) were X frame (convertable) built for stiffness & ALL had roll bars (like Avanti) with traction "package car" specs, both R1 & R2 engine configs.

sa,e type of seating as your excellent pic but more deeply padded. I sure wish I had acquired one when the testing (failed) was completed.

Also someone may know that we sold the city of Lawrenceville Ga a complete R2 marshall in earlt 63 to catch the hot rods they previously could not apprehend. (4 spd model too!)
    GABOY

Leave a comment:

• jnewkirk77
    replied
    Yes, Craig's right on the Marshals. They were all four-door models, and the only Studebaker police package car that earned my late Indiana State Trooper grandfather's respect. You see, he was a Mopar man, and swore up and down he'd rather quit than drive anything other than a Mopar commission (to use the ISP's term). It wasn't necessarily an anti-Studebaker thing, he simply believed the other manufacturers just didn't "get it" when it came to building a proper police car!

Grandpa felt the early Lark Marshals were far too lightweight (which led to a humorous incident in which he and the Jasper post mechanic, along with a couple of other troopers, turned one of the '59 Larks sideways in the tiny garage), which was probably true, but the '64 Marshal he was invited to test (due to his spotless record - over 1 million miles without an accident that was his fault), he fell for it ... hard! As I recall him saying, "I don't know what the hell that thing had under the hood, but when I floored it, it just flew! There was no way ANYONE could have gotten away from me as fast as that car took off!"

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Leave a comment:

• jnewkirk77
    replied
    Yes, Craig's right on the Marshals. They were all four-door models, and the only Studebaker police package car that earned my late Indiana State Trooper grandfather's respect. You see, he was a Mopar man, and swore up and down he'd rather quit than drive anything other than a Mopar commission (to use the ISP's term). It wasn't necessarily an anti-Studebaker thing, he simply believed the other manufacturers just didn't "get it" when it came to building a proper police car!

Grandpa felt the early Lark Marshals were far too lightweight (which led to a humorous incident in which he and the Jasper post mechanic, along with a couple of other troopers, turned one of the '59 Larks sideways in the tiny garage), which was probably true, but the '64 Marshal he was invited to test (due to his spotless record - over 1 million miles without an accident that was his fault), he fell for it ... hard! As I recall him saying, "I don't know what the hell that thing had under the hood, but when I floored it, it just flew! There was no way ANYONE could have gotten away from me as fast as that car took off!"

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by gaboy

what about the 63-64 Lark types built with the roll bars (2 dr) built in with seats upholstered to contour like bucket seats for trials by the CHP. I remember Corocorn, (Calif reg.mgr) getting those built up for the CHP testing against Ford, Chevy, Dodge ,Ply etc - I saw one (R2) when I was truck mgr on the west coast in late 63.
    GABOY
    It seems to me they made 30 of those special Marshals for evaluation by various police departments around the country. I've seen three of them, and they were 4 doors. They had those molded-in bolsters in the bench seat to hold the driver in place in tight turns.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by gaboy

what about the 63-64 Lark types built with the roll bars (2 dr) built in with seats upholstered to contour like bucket seats for trials by the CHP. I remember Corocorn, (Calif reg.mgr) getting those built up for the CHP testing against Ford, Chevy, Dodge ,Ply etc - I saw one (R2) when I was truck mgr on the west coast in late 63.
    GABOY
    It seems to me they made 30 of those special Marshals for evaluation by various police departments around the country. I've seen three of them, and they were 4 doors. They had those molded-in bolsters in the bench seat to hold the driver in place in tight turns.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    I believe that there is a C-cab truck with a "suburban" style body that was featured in TW a while back. I think it was in Switzerland? some European country, anyway.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

Working...
X